The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 27, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1
chow chow

How to disassemble Remington 700 bolt?

Im trying to find a pictorial website , any one knows one? I have done one with my K 98 mauser but the Remington is a different design, thanks
Old April 27, 2008, 02:06 PM   #2
DEMOLITION MAN

The 700 bolt has only 2 parts. Its simple to take apart. I use a vise and 2 pennies.
First, look at the bottom rear of the bolt before taking apart, to see how the 2 parts are aligned, look at the (flat sections) that ride on the receiver.

Now, tighten one of the pennies in a vise with half of it sticking out the top of the jaws. Hold the bolt by the locking lugs, put the rear silver tang of the firing pin on the pennie and pull towards you. As you pull the bolt, (your pulling against the spring), the rear or the firing pin will expose a slot, when the slot is completely exposed, put the other penny in the slot and release. Leaving the penny in the slot. Then just unscrew the firing pin from the bolt.

I just use a cleaning rod to clean in the bolt like you would clean the chamber. Clean up the firing pin, then use a little light oil.

Reassemble in reverse order, as you thread the bolt in, bottom it then back off a little and align the rear (flat sections) of the bolt and the firing pin when you remove the penny from the slot.