The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 25, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Full-choke

Riflescope Anti-Cant Device?

I am seeking advice on what would be a good anti-cant device to mount on my scope. I am setting up a 6mm Remington TC Encore for long range varminting. It is going to have a Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50 mounted on it. The first question is for shots (at the longest) out to 600 yards, would it be an asset to have? Secondly, if it is recommended, who makes the best inexpensive one?

Thanks,
F-C
Old April 25, 2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Full-choke

Screwed up

Sry...screwed up on this response...didn't mean to write something here
Old April 25, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3
sholling

I've experimented with the $20 B-Square with mixed results. The dove tail version fits my Tikka T3 Lite's Tikka cuts. The Weaver version fits my T3 Super Varmint's Picatinny rail just fine. But the Weaver version sits at an angle on my Volquartsen Weaver mount making it useless. I'd love to try the Deros but can't justify spending $200 by the time you buy the mount for it.
Old April 25, 2008, 02:34 PM   #4
T.A.Sharps

If you mean to have the scope mounted perfectly level and inline with the bore, find a Benchrest gunsmith to mounth and align everything. It will cost a little bit, but you worry about something not being perfect.
Old April 25, 2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Full-choke

I was talking about one of the things you can mount on your scope to see if your rifle is completely balanced before taking your shot. My local gun shop does an excellent job at mounting...they level them and such.

F-C
Old April 25, 2008, 03:05 PM   #6
sholling

Quote:
If you mean to have the scope mounted perfectly level and inline with the bore, find a Benchrest gunsmith to mounth and align everything. It will cost a little bit, but you worry about something not being perfect.
I don't think that's what the is referring to. Scope leveling is easy with just a couple of small pocket levels.

I believe that the OP is referring to a leveling device to help assure that the scope/rifle combination is level when taking the shot. At 200-300yds it doesn't matter. At really long ranges it's supposed to matter. I haven't done any testing but at 500 yards are you holding over 24" plus 3" to the right because of the cocked angle you're holding the rifle? That's what I think the OP is asking. There are devices o check before taking the shot.

OP,

I just rechecked that B-Square that wouldn't sit flush on my weaver mount. The weaver cut in the level is off. I'd say I got a bad one. For what it's worth Midway sells three devices ranging from $20-200.
Old April 25, 2008, 06:34 PM   #7
bigautomatic

Sinclair has a couple different ones. They mount right on the scope tube. Just remember that the crosshairs of the scope have to be level with the rifle for the device to work to its full potential.