The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 24, 2008, 11:02 PM   #1
astark

How To Limp Wrist

I am really serious here guys, and I have tried, but can not seem to get the symptoms of limp wristing I have read about.

I am no expert shooter, and I do have a very well built 1911, but even with my wrist as limp as I think I can get it, the gun still fires consistently without failures.

So I guess I have two questions, how can I duplicate best this limp wristing phenomenon, and is it possible that it can not be achieved with some 1911s.
Old April 24, 2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Boris Bush

astark

I tried the same with my CZ-75 compact and could never get it to jam by limping it. Today a total newby did the limpwrist shuffle with my 100% pistol and he got it to jam 3 times in 14 shots.... Maybe you are just too strong maybe your muscle memory is too great for your mind to let you limp it too much, because for the life of me I can not get my CZ to jam, but I saw what I believed was impossible just a few hours ago. 3 stove pipes in a mere 14 rounds from a complete novice.

It can, does and will happen, It is more of a shooter error than a weapon malfunction. After today I am 100% positive on it...........
Old April 24, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3
croc4

Visit San francisco

;-)
Old April 25, 2008, 12:11 AM   #4
Curtis(USAF)

There is a certain apex in training where your muscle memory is so good, you have to try really hard to screw something up. Try bringing your pistol up with the sights uneven, (The barrel tilted up, or to the side) I bet you have a hard time doing it.

As far as limpwristing goes, you need to odviously let your wrist get as limp as possible. You should feel a kind of springy feeling immediately after the shot, the slight delay as your slide takes longer to complete its motion then it usually would. I used to limpwrist a little when I was new to pistols, even then my gun wouldn't FTF unless it was absolutely filthy and I was shooting dirty ammo. New pistols are more prone to FTF due to limpwristing. There are many variables, such as the power of the ammo, the condition of the slide and rails, the cleanliness of the gun especially the slide and rails, the condition of the recoil spring, etc and so forth. IMHO I think the 1911 is no more prone to limpwristing then any other gun, and is probably a little less susceptible due to the weight of the components involved, and the length of travel necessary to cycle the 45ACP cartridge. That much weight and that much travel build up into a lot of slide momentum.
Old April 25, 2008, 04:42 AM   #5
Brad01

Some pistols seem to have this problem more than others. Persoanlly, I've never had the problem so I don't really know. I too, have tried out of curiosity and have never mannaged to accomplish the "limp wrist" thing. Good luck.
Old April 25, 2008, 05:44 AM   #6
SDC

The lighter the pistol is, the more likely you are to be able to limp wrist it (since a pistol's mass will itself give the slide something to recoil against). I've also seen new shooters who don't keep the axis of the pistol, their wrist and their arm all in one line have jam after jam from limp wristing.
Old April 25, 2008, 01:46 PM   #7
KurtC

Limp wristing really has nothing to do with the wrists, since they do not move fore and aft. It is caused by a lack of forearm strength. You have to allow the entire gun to recoil instead of just the slide. If using a weaver position, relax your forearms. It can easily be duplicated by firing from the hip with your weak hand.
Old April 25, 2008, 07:06 PM   #8
seeker073180

don't forget about ammo's contribution to the limpie equation
Old April 25, 2008, 11:42 PM   #9
astark

Thanks for the responses so far, the wife and I may get out this weekend and see what we can do.

I will be shooting a mix of 230 Gr White Box, Blazer Brass and Gold Dots through a Colt Combat Commander with a Yost-Bonitz 1* Elite Package.

I will try loosing up my grip, forearms, shoulders, everything that I can, maybe even weak side from the hip.
Old April 26, 2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Sgt127

Be really careful about shooting from the hip and intentionally limpwristing. The gun may have a tendency to recoil up and point dangerously close to your head. Extend your weak arm, then slightly bend the elbow and the wrist forward, hold just tight enough so it doesn't get away from you. I can pretty much jam a Glock 23 on demand by doing that. Sigs and Gov't models are much more forgiving, I would assume, because of thier wieght.
Old April 26, 2008, 05:47 PM   #11
blind_shooter

WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE HOW TO "PROPERLY" LIMP WRIST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FhMSNvZReYM

— Mahatma Gandhi
Old April 26, 2008, 08:30 PM   #12
OcelotZ3

Wow! The Glock is WAY more sensitive than the others they tested...
Old April 26, 2008, 08:53 PM   #13
SDC

That guy is just begging to shoot his own face off.
Old April 26, 2008, 11:25 PM   #14
ChicagoTex

While not an absolute, in general polymer-framed handguns and/or smaller handguns tend to be the most prone to limp-wristing failures - the more mass there is the counteract the slide, the less resistance YOU have to provide to make a proper cycle. Since 1911s are large, weighty steel-framed numbers I could totally believe that there are SOME (not all) 1911s that are unjammable from limp wristing.

The other fellas may be correct as well in that it's very difficult to limp wrist when you've been shooting properly for a very long time (I myself have never had a failure with any firearm I've shot that wasn't attributable to cheap magazines or poor ammo.)
Old April 27, 2008, 05:42 PM   #15
Mike The Marine

I'm a Nubie but what is limpwristing? And if it is bad why do you want to do it?
"Every Clime, Every Place"
Old April 27, 2008, 06:03 PM   #16
ChicagoTex

limp wristing is just what it sounds like, holding (and firing) a handgun without first locking your wrist(s) and putting tension against the gun. For illustration, try picking up and point a TV remote control as you normally would - odds are you aren't locking your wrists or pressing against the remote in any way because A. you don't anticipate any recoil, B. stability is not paramount in holding a remote control, and C. you weren't trained to do it that way. Now hold a handgun in this fashion (if you can) and notice the difference.

Limpwristing is a common subject on gun boards such as these because it is often diagnosed (sometimes correctly, often incorrectly) as the cause of any number of malfunctions in automatic pistols because there is not enough resistance being provided by the shooter's limp wrist to allow the slide to properly cycle after every shot (so the recoil energy, instead of moving the slide against the frame, moves the entire pistol in the shooter's hand).
The two most common symptoms of this are either incomplete ejection - otherwise known as "stovepiping" where an empty case gets jammed vertically in between the chamber and slide or a failure to properly feed the next round from the magazine due to inadequate rebound energy of the slide.

As I alluded to earlier, some guns, particularly those that are larger and/or heavier are less prone to these problems than others (and revolvers are obviously entirely exempt) but I must emphasize that any limp-wristing malfunctions are, in my opinion at least, entirely the fault of the shooter and just because some guns are more tolerant of a poor shooting grip than others does not make one "better" than the other.
Old March 10, 2010, 05:27 PM   #17
Myakka

A bit of help

I know this thread is old but I'm new to the community. I just got a Glock 36 and had multiple extraction errors which I'm sure are my fault. I assumed it was limp wrist but the last post doesn't list that as a problem with limp wristing. I don't know what the technical term for my problem is but it would fire the round and fail to remove the casing then try to load another round. I normally shoot a glock 21 without problems. I've been told I need to lock my wrist but the person advising me wasn't with me when I was shooting. if it is limp wrist with the new gun, I'm hoping more forearm exercises will help but if it isn't, could someone point me in the right direction?
Old March 10, 2010, 05:32 PM   #18
spodwo

Quote:
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE HOW TO "PROPERLY" LIMP WRIST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FhMSNvZReYM
Oooops - Glock must have got offended - that video is HISTORY!
Old March 10, 2010, 05:39 PM   #19
Skans

First, I've only seen true "limp wristing" using light loads (CCI blaser aluminum). And, it was with my Glock 17 while being shot by a 10 year old girl - I'm serious about this. I had never seen my Glock have a problem, so I tried to replicate what was going on - yes, I was able to replicate it. But, when I switched out the ammo to a different brand, I couldn't get it to do it anymore.
Old March 10, 2010, 05:47 PM   #20
greyson97

if you want to eliminate limp wristing, use 2 hands to hold your gun, and hold your gun like 1911 idpa champs do it, by holding the gun with your main hand and the cupping your off hand over the 2nd knuckles of your main hand, you dont want to hold your gun like you are trying to pancake your gun between your hands.

if you want to increase the chance of "limp wristing", hold your gun with only your inder finger and thumb, index finger on the trigger. pull the trigger and see what happens. perform the above action at your own risk.

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 10, 2010, 05:58 PM   #21
dav

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayson97
perform the above action at your own risk.
You should add "make sure there is only one round in the firearm when this is tried, so it won't shoot anybody when it hits the ground".
Old March 10, 2010, 06:21 PM   #22
dcody40

Caution please

One thing not mentioned yet, some handguns recoil fast and hard, if you don't have a good correct grip on it, you can hurt your wrist, and there is no reason for this, whatever example your trying to recreate may not really be worth the possible damage that could happen, do it right and learn and enjoy, don't try to cause malfunctions and possibly scare the stuffing out of your lady. You could find dozens of examples of the wrong way to control your handguns/shotguns on Youtube.
This kind of stuff would not be welcome at a typical range anyway.
Another side note, I still seem to find the new handgun shooters who watch
to much gun play on TV and then do this stuff while shooting in public, example, holding their wrist with the off hand, a big big no no with an autoloader, (Revolver hold ?) just testing to see how much blood they can get before passing out ?...and the guys doing the gansta sideways holds, enough, don't want to even go there, just laugh at them. You don't get points for having the most brass laying around now do you ! lol...
I have had the pleasure of retraining some new shooters away from some of these issues, blame it on the action flicks and TV. Enjoy safely.

Duane USN/Ret
Old March 10, 2010, 06:38 PM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myakka
I normally shoot a glock 21 without problems. I've been told I need to lock my wrist but the person advising me wasn't with me when I was shooting.

If you normally shoot a G21 without problems then it's unlikely that "limp wristing" is causing you problems with a G36.

You say "just got"... is the gun brand new or new to you?

Did you clean it before shooting?

Make sure that it is clean and that there is only lubrication where there SHOULD be lubrication....
http://www.glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old March 10, 2010, 07:19 PM   #24
FairWarning

Someone that is too weak to hold a semi-auto handgun properly has no business shooting it. Maybe they need a .22 LR revolver.
Old March 10, 2010, 08:46 PM   #25
Magyar

Limpwristing is an Internet Myth perpetuated by some who have FTF's and cannot maintain their pistol properly.
PHYSICS: 101 Newton's Laws: There will be an opposite & equal reaction whether you are holding against something solid or not.
A spaceship in vacuum space will go forward when the thruster is turned on....
Kind of strange, this senior while in the service and in subsequent decades, while discussing firing with friends informally or on the range never heard of it until the Internet chatter started...
I think it started with Glock owners having some sort of problems....