The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2008, 06:42 PM   #1
AF_Reloader

Winchester 209 Primers

I'm reloading some Winchester AA hulls, 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 shot, 18 grains Red Dot, WAA12 wad, W209 primers.

Well, I just ran out of primers, and the local store is closed. Is there a safe substitue for W209s, or do I just need to wait until tomorrow?
Old April 23, 2008, 07:53 PM   #2
BigJimP

Remington 209's are a good substitute.
Old April 24, 2008, 04:00 PM   #3
kv501

Always, always, ALWAYS go by loads listed in manuals. For the most part, Remington, Winchester, Fiocchi, Nobel Sport, etc. can be substituted with some exceptions, but Federals should NEVER be switched out with the same load data. Federal's 209s are far hotter than the other manufacturer, which is why they are designated "209A." They can also be identified by the red color of the charge hole. This will hopefully let you see them upside down in the primer tray and realize that you should not use them unless with Federal primer data.

Shotgun reloading data is extensive enough that you will be able to find data for whatever primers you go with. The best thing I can tell you...

Match your components to the load data, don't piece together a load with the components on hand at the time.
Old April 24, 2008, 10:20 PM   #4
crowbeaner

The only safe primer to substitute for the WW209 is the Nobel Sport 209, period. The only other primer substitute for the RP 209P is the RP 97*. Load everything else just as the book says. DON"T change primers without changing the load to what the book says; to do so is to invite a KB and/or other bad things. Shotshells operate at hand grenade pressures, and having thin barrels, shotguns are not as forgiving as other firearms.