The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 17, 2008, 12:35 PM   #1
gianelli280

Duracoating

how much do you think i could charge people to duracoat their guns? Stencils are the most expensive part of it, so as soon as i get those i should be good to go right?
Old April 17, 2008, 12:47 PM   #2
dwatts47

Don't you think since the labor is the product and the product will be yours to sell, that you should price it yourself?

Anytime I want to sell something I state a price.... asking someone "how much will you pay for that?" seems like a really quick way to get some folks to believe you are trying to scam them.
Old April 17, 2008, 01:04 PM   #3
bushidomosquito

Does everyone charge the same for a trigger job or a stock refinish? It depends on how good you are at it. Some high quality pictures of some high quality work might help your cause.

"Bush is listening, use big words."
Old April 17, 2008, 01:10 PM   #4
gianelli280

Thats sort of why i'm asking, thought maybe you folks knew of companies that did this sort of thing professionally? My intentions aren't to advertise on this forum, i just know a number of people back home who could use a service like this.
Old April 17, 2008, 01:17 PM   #5
zoomie

Only to give you a data point - not a recommendation - the Duracoat guy in my west Texas town charges $125-$200 (depending on firearm type and colors) including all disassembly and reassbembly. However, the economy here and his Djibouti is hardly similar enough to compare prices. Or are you a grunt just deployed there?
Old April 17, 2008, 03:05 PM   #6
davlandrum

Quote:
how much do you think i could charge people to duracoat their guns?
Short answer - as much as they are willing to pay

Lot of variables involved; Are you looking to make a living, have a profitable hobby, or just be the "duracoat" guy and do it for the cost of materials?

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 17, 2008, 03:21 PM   #7
rantingredneck

One of the local shops around here used to specialize in Duracoating. He got out of it because it was simply not profitable.

By the time someone is going to pay 150-200 for to duracoat a 500 gun they'd be well on their way toward purchasing a new one.

Then there are those who pay 1000 or more for a gun, few of them will want to "mess it up" with duracoat.

Then there are the DIY'ers who will buy a kit from Brownells and do it themselves.

Buddy of mine has duracoated (or something similar at least) two of his own Kimbers. I have to say he did good work too.

So with all that, the fellow I know here locally who used to do it does something else now.

May be different in Djibouti though. .
Old April 17, 2008, 04:11 PM   #8
gianelli280

Yes i'm currently deployed here, and no, not looking for customers here.. I dont think people would even consider a luxury like that here. Unless i'm going to deface gov't property and start coating m16's and m9's for the marines, i'll be out of business until i get home. I was just getting ideas for my homecoming is all.

I understand the variables in pricing, just looking for a ballpark figure. I know if someone wanted me to digi-camo duracoat an AK vs. an AR with a monolithic quad-rail setup, and a bipod, i'd be charging an exponential amount more for the AR.

but no, i dont think the djiboutians would enjoy me charging them 20,000 francs for their tired-ass ak's.
Old April 17, 2008, 05:09 PM   #9
davlandrum

Djibouti is just a fun word to say

Really will come down to what is your time worth. A basic concept formula that you can mess around with in a spreadsheet is

Expenses + Labor = Price per hour

Looks simple, but - expenses include space to work, utilities, disposal costs (if any of your garbage is hazmat, etc), insurance, mailing, security (you are talking about having other peoples guns in process...),etc.

If I was going to try this myself, I would start with a small set-up of stencils and do a few guns for friends for simply cost of materials in order to determine how long it takes me to do various guns and give me actual info to calculate what I need to charge.

Google some terms like "starting a business" and I am sure you will find some more detailed info than I am going to type out here.

But judging from the other posts, I don't think there is a burning need out there just waiting to be filled. If you enjoy it, do it for your friends and friends of friends for a little cash or maybe gain access to some hunting land, or some other barter.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 17, 2008, 10:23 PM   #10
Clocks

Rantingredneck has a great point here. When you go to the hgh end of the market where the cost of duracoat as a ratio of the purchase and investment in the rifle is high enough to make it worthwhile, you would rather put that same class of money in something like Black T with a higher class of both protection and durability.

"The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct thier mistakes as soon as they recognize them." - Orson Scott Card
Old April 17, 2008, 11:41 PM   #11
ELMOUSMC

There is a young guy up here who does Duracoating.His rate is $35 prep fee( tapeing and such) basic woodland camo 3 color $125.other patterns are the same unless you want something unique.Hope it helps and thanks for your service.OORAH ELMOUSMC
Old July 9, 2008, 04:48 AM   #12
Covert_Ind

Dura Coat

Dura Coat idea is a good one.....yes people pay alot for a weapon but see a movie and suddenly have to have their weapon look the same, then its a disease......all their friends will want to look like that. Mostly solid or 2-tone jobs is whats wanted but you do have the occassional hardcore ACU pattern.
I do this part-time and make out pretty good, my key is to always work with the customers on charges. Some high some low.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 700GHIL.jpg (139.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg AK.jpg (154.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg HKACU.jpg (81.5 KB, 59 views)

Bo Cox