The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 16, 2008, 06:22 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

any expirience with these ??? ( Birds head grips / frame )

I've been thinking that a birds head grip frame might make an interesting addition to my custom "urban jungle" Montado 50 special conversion, making the single action even a bit smaller, more conceilable & unique...

I don't recall ever shooting a birds head grip frame, so any comments on shooting a gun with that grip frame are welcome...

...also anyone with expirience with this company ??? quality parts... or not ???

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...0GRIP%20FRAMES

hmmm... the polished brass grip frame might look kinda nice on a polished stainless gun... even though I'd likely buy the polished stainless grip frame...

your guys thoughts ???

BTW... I had a meeting with my machining buddy, & he is thinking the "urban jungle single action 50" should work, but wants to wait to see the Montado, after I get it off lay away, to pull some measurements before saying for sure... we looked at the shortened 500 S&W as the donar cartridge case, & they fit into the super blackhawk cylinder fine... provided they can be worked into the new model Vaquero cylinder, we'll be in business...
Old April 16, 2008, 07:58 AM   #2
pesta2

For a .500 S&W special it might be a little hard to hold onto during recoil. I have a Beretta Stampede with birds head (more or a lighting style with the hump on top) in .45 LC. With cowboy loads, no problem, but I wouldn’t want a more recoiling revolver with a set on. They are small and my pinky doesn’t get on the grip.

Old April 16, 2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I don't expect the 50 special to be any "worse" than a 45 Colt ( in fact probably less recoil )

BTW... very nice looking revolver...
Old April 16, 2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Joat

I've shot full power 45 colt loads out of my vaquero with a qualite birds head grip frame. The gun tends to flip (rotate on the vertical plane) in the web of the hand after each shot. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it puts the hammer under the thumb for a faster re-cock of the action.
The same occurs with lower power CAS loads as well, just not as pronounced. It took some getting used to at first and can be disconcerting the first time you shoot it, but it is manageable.

Joat
Old April 17, 2008, 09:51 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

A friend has one,

Short barreled Vaquero with birds head grip, and a Bisley hammer. He was in love with it, until he shot it. It is a .44 Mag. I was with him when he got it at a gun show, neat looking rig, free spin cylinder and everything. he really was excited and went on about how much he loved that little thing.
I told him he might have a different opinion after he shot it.

He talked me out of a box of .44 mag (and not full bore loads either, 240grSWC 10gr Unique). After he shot it, he agreed with me. He still loves to handle it, he just won't shoot it much. When I get some time, I'll load up some .44 SPL. I think they will do him right.

Myself, I won't shoot it. He has really small hands, and for him the grip is right. I don't, and for me it is like hanging on to a toothpick with a .44 mag cylinder in front of it. No thanks.

I think the bridshead would be ok as long as recoil don't go beyond regular .45 Colt, and for me, even standard .45 Colt would not be fun with that tiny grip. For you, it might be fine. If it is, enjoy it.
Old April 18, 2008, 05:12 AM   #6
Stainz

I bought a new SS 4.6" SBH and fitted a then QPR (now MK) SS BHG to it. It took some time, as the gripframe and grips were delivered in the rough - and I had to transfer the pins & trigger spring from the original frame to the new BHG frame. The 'fitting' process is tedious - file, re-assemble & test - dissassemble and repeat. Then sand & polish - I got close - closer than Ruger - to a perfect fit and left it - it's too much fun to take 'out of service' for final fitting. You need the extra side frame thickness as Ruger is not very consistent with their fitting. For example, when the SBH arrived, I already had both a .45 & .357M 4.6" SS BHG Vaquero, both with the free-spin pawl and a Bisley hammer fitted. No two of the three gripframes would interchange... that's sad!

I have since sold the .357M, and added a .32M SSM, to which I fitted a Bisley hammer and did the poor man's free-spin conversion, version. Three calibers - looking very similar, as they all are SS, 4.6", and have black Micarta BHGs. I have medium-large hands - and they fit fine for a one-handed hold - with easy thumb access to cock the hammer, due to the Bisley/SBH hammers. I mostly shoot .44 Russians & Specials from the SBH - but 'real' .44Ms are an 'experience', particularly the hot UMC 180gr SJHP .44M blasters. The 'roll' of the grip leaves it pointed skyward, the ball-like grip putting the recoil firmly into your palm - actually, a better feeling recoil than from my 4" 629 with wood grips fitted (My 629s normally sport the Hogue .500 Magnum monogrips - the OEM grips for S&W .460/.500s.).

Stainz

PS I traded away my Ruger #1H in .458 Lott... that one round is all I have left of my ultimate squirrel gun experience.
Old April 18, 2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for posting guys... I'm expecting the 300 grain Gold dot in a 50 "special" to fall somewhere between 45 ACP & 45 Colt... & this will not be range gun... hoping to have a modern CCW single action 5 shot 50 special, so I won't probably shoot it any more than my regular carry Air lite L frame in 44 special ( which is a dream to shoot )

I think I might want to give the birds head grip a try, as it will make the gun more conceilable, & even more unique...

now I need to decide if I should use the polished stainless to match the gun, or how the polished brass would look on a polished stainless gun ??? the brass may be easier to fit to the gun being a softer metal than stainless... don't know if that will matter or not ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 18, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old April 18, 2008, 09:33 AM   #8
Joat

SS v. Brass - the polished brass grip will not be polished for long. They oxidize rather quickly. They do look very good when cleaned and polished though. I have the ss vaquero and brass grip, with the checkered black micarta panels.

Joat
Old April 18, 2008, 09:39 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

JOAT... do you have any pics ???

also thought about clear coating the brass grip frame ( or even clear powder coating )... don't know if it'll be worth the work or not for something cosmetic ???

I'm really all about the stainless normally & polished stainless is ...