The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 16, 2008, 04:49 AM   #1

Taurus Tracker 357

I have just about settled on a Taurus Tracker, 357mag with 4" bbl. It fits my current "gun-fund" pricewise and I have to make a move on it this week. The wife is away.

Anyone here have any bad things to say about them. I've heard some good stuff, but am interested in any negative information.
Old April 16, 2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Sgt.Dusk

I got my Tracker .357 with 6,5" barrel.
Excellent gun.

If you really need to hear bad things about it......hmmmm
Well the only bad thing about tracker is that you will get constant mockin
from those cocky s&w owners who have not even tried taurus.

...and...even though ported barrel is good youll be wiping your scope or red dot clean too often.
Old April 16, 2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

As a cocky S&W owner, and a very displeased former Taurus owner, do a search at this site and you'll find out all you ever wanted to know about Taurus, good and bad.
Old April 16, 2008, 12:40 PM   #4
funon1

Warning: honest experience-based opinion ahead

Don't do it! In fact, don't even think about doing it. The Taurus revolvers (hundreds that I have sampled over the last decade) are of very poor quality. They tend to have many manufacturing defects causing poor reliability, accuracy, and extra low resale value.

I recently got rid of my last Tracker, and am glad to be rid of them all. Mine had a defect in one of the chambers as well as a very heavy, gritty and long trigger pull and poor fit and finish.

Spend the extra dough and get a quality, American-made gun from an American company such as Smith and Wesson or Ruger
If all you have is $400 bucks buy a S&W 637/38/42 and some quality ammo and you will be far better off than with a Taurus both now and if you ever decide to sell down the road.

Funon1
Old April 16, 2008, 01:14 PM   #5
thinkingman

I just received my tracker titanium yesterday...0 round count.
Initial inspection is beautiful exterior, a real mechanical feel in the hammer, decent single action trigger, long, heavy DA and pinched my finger on overtravel.
I will post more after I run some ammo thru it this weekend.
I didn't buy this for the range, I have a sweet 686-3 if I want to shoot revolver.
This is open carry in the woods and on the river.
Old April 16, 2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Benzene

Stupidity?

I think I've heard quite often, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...". What is to be made of funon1 who seemed to have been fooled by the "hundreds that I have sampled"? WOuld not this be the height of STUPIDITY???

Further, how many an "American company" do the acutual manufacturing ABROAD????? And was not the "American company" named "Smith and Wesson" one that betrayed the "funon1's" and introduced the hazardous Hiliary holes?

My experience with Taurus handguns have been ALL POSITIVE so far. My loyalty starts with loyalty to ME!
Old April 16, 2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Wuchak

Had a titanium one. It took 3 trips back (at my expense) to get the problem with flame cutting on the cylinder face corrected. Each time they had it for about 3 months. Once I was sure it was fixed I sold it. That was my first and last Taurus. Lost about 40% of my money on the deal.

Good luck with yours. I really liked everything about mine except it was poorly built and the Taurus customer service was horrible.
Old April 16, 2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Horseless Trooper

I have only owned one Taurus, a stainless 4in. 441 44spl. I traded it a few years after I bought it and then bought it back a year later. It doesn't compare with a good S&W trigger but that is the only fault. One of my favorite woods guns. Maybe mine was made on a Wednesday.
Old April 16, 2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Bonstrosity

I just bought a Taurus 85 UL and have had good luck w/ my other Taurus. Some people have bad luck w/ them but there are people who have had very good luck with them. I had to change the trigger and hammer springs on the new revolver to make it feel better and I have not looked back. It's all up to you Taurus does have a good warranty but it's all up to you. Take a look at http://www.taurusarmed.net/ for some people who have had good experience with them. They are no SW but they have gotten the job done for me.
Old April 16, 2008, 08:29 PM   #10
spraynbuckshot

I would highly advise NOT TO BUY IT. I have had a recent horrible experience with their so called "customer service". Spent $90 on shipping (sent 2 times) and guess what still doesn't work. I will bash Taurus till I die.

DONT DO IT. Save a little more money and get a gun that you wont have to question. It will be worth it.
Old April 16, 2008, 08:43 PM   #11
MrTuffPaws

Have one. Been running for years without issue, and it is my bed side gun.

The only bad thing about it was that the trigger was gritty and heavier than I liked. I popped the side plate, cleaned out the grit, and installed a set of wolf springs and it is running like a race car now.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Redneck with a 40

Ruger SP-101 is the way to go, get the 3 inch barrel. Its only $50 more at my local gun shop.
Old April 16, 2008, 11:12 PM   #13
Sgt.Dusk

I had a long thought about negative things about tracker and this is what came into my mind :

-I dont like the original ribber grips, though they look cool they just dont fit into my hand. I know its just a personal opinion and some may like those but luckily there is a fine set of hogue grips available that I have installed in my tracker. Those fit like a glove in my hand.

-For some reason I dont like the fact that you can rotate the cylinder clockwise when un-cocked. (when cocked its just as tight as it should be)

-The matt stainless steel surface is a PITA to clean. Especially the burn marks on the cylinder and the area around porting holes.

-Original DA trigger pull is way too heavy. But with a set of springs its modifiable.
Old April 17, 2008, 02:27 AM   #14
Elvishead

Just as a matter of fact. My Taurus 608 seems like a high quality gun, that has shot about 3000 full .357mag out with zero problems.

I wish I could say that about my new S&W 327. I'm getting lite striker hits, so I guess I have to send it in.
Old April 17, 2008, 05:54 AM   #15
rogertc1

I have several Taurus and several S&W's too. Over the past 31 years I have never had any problems with any.
If you check any talk boards, Marlin, Sieg, Ruger, H&K, Taurus, Baretta, S & W and on , you will find guns that have issues.
Nothing wrong with Taurus beautiful handguns and rifles.
Not that long ago S&W was on the evil owners ban list.
Now they are copying the M15 and 1911A1's with the best of them.
Old April 17, 2008, 09:26 AM   #16
funon1

Benzene, wow arrogance AND egocentrism together! What a guy

I feel fortunate to have been exposed to your wisdom. I guess if helping others and providing honest assessments for altruistic motives is stupid, than I am. I bet you feel better about yourself now, huh. What an ASSet you are to our community. Oh well, "sticks and stones..."

Funon1
Old April 17, 2008, 09:44 AM   #17
spraynbuckshot

I do agree Rogertc1, All manufacturers have had and will have problems with particualer guns. BUT, the way their customer service deals with those problems can gain or lose public support. i.e. Taurus's CS is non existent in my opinion, Ruger's CS top notch.

Take it as you will, it's your money
Old April 17, 2008, 12:55 PM   #18
Benzene

Mine too!

Elvishead, mine too! I've lost count of the number of boxes of .357 magnum and .38 +P I've put through my Taurus 608 and "with zero problems". And this is "Just as a matter of fact" - nicely put by you.

My most recent {within 2 months} purchases were: Ruger SP101 {3" barrel - $410}, PT 1911 {stainless steel - $560}, and a TAURUS 617 {7-shot .357 magnum, 2" barrel - $295OTD}; and this after consultation with our resident experts, each with the attitude summarized by "Just as a matter of fact". I've so far found EACH of my new purchases to my complete satisfaction.
Old April 17, 2008, 01:35 PM   #19
Wuchak

I would have kept my Tracker even after the problems if Taurus had paid for the shipping to have it repaired and if they had turned it around in a reasonable time. Oddly they no longer have the .357 in the Titanium Tracker line. I suspect there were a lot of them with the same problem as mine so instead of doing a recall and making them right, even if this meant putting a stainless cylinder in place of the titanium one, they just quietly dropped that caliber from production. All companies make a bad product now and then. Taurus seems to make a lot more and people like me don't go back for seconds after a bad experience. I paid $600 for my tracker, spent another $100 on shipping it back, and was only able to get a little over $300 out of it when I sold it. At the same time I bought my Tracker my friend bought a S&W Mountain-lite that was only $100 more than my Tracker when new. It's had zero problems and he could sell it tomorrow for what he paid for it. Some deal the Taurus turned out to be. I'm so happy that I saved that $100 on the initial purchase I could vomit.
Old April 18, 2008, 02:42 AM   #20
funon1

Well, after my last Tracker broke (in the first week)

Wuchak, sorry to hear yet another Taurus failure account. Knowing of their poor customer service from previous encounters, when my new Tracker broke, I took her back to the store. After showing them the cylinder, I was allowed to just trade up for a Smith straight away. That was the best $200 I have spent in a long time. I got this instead

Some people say they are happy with Taurus quality. There was a time when I was, but they let poor QC and poor customer relations/service over a period of years destroy my opinion of them. My first Taurus served me well for almost exactly 2000 rounds. None have lasted that long since. I look at 2000 rds as a break in period for a Ruger instead of a service life. But I must conceed that they are a few bucks cheaper than the good stuff. And, all manufacturers do have occasional problems, but when it is an onging thing affecting several models and production runs, I take it as more than just a mistake. You lost all that money just so they could save a few cents. To me, that just ain't right. Thankfully, the store ate the cost on my last bad Taurus, but that is rare indeed.

Funon1
Old April 18, 2008, 10:34 AM   #21
Ranger61

I have a 4" Tracker 357. It has been without fault for the 6 years I've owned it. I was a little disappointed at first with the accuracy it showed with 38 target loads but its shoots great with 125 grain 357 loads.
Old April 18, 2008, 10:37 AM   #22
ghalleen

Congratulations on your new Taurus!

I get tired of the Taurus bashers. I've owned several Taurus over the years, and have never had a single problem. Of course, I won't claim to be a self-appointed expert and have experience with "hundreds of them", but then again, I don't really believe claims like that anyway. Sometimes I think this is like car bigots. You know, American cars versus Japanese or European.

Currently I own the following Taurus handguns, and all have been flawless. They're beautiful guns and do what they're supposed to do.
  • Raging Bull .454 Casull (got a trigger job)
  • 605 stainless 5-shot .357 Magnum
  • 617 titanium 7-shot .357 Magnum

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

It's funny, though, that when you hear of other gun companies with quality problems, everyone seems to look the other way and pretend it's not really happening. My friends in law enforcement, and a couple of gun dealers, have told me that Kimber's quality has dropped dramatically in recent years, and they've been experiencing a lot of failures. Why aren't we seeing Kimber bashing? Is it because it's an American manufacturer?
Old April 18, 2008, 11:07 AM   #23
Garand Illusion

My 605 .357 snubby has been flawless as wel. And I actually find the fit and finish very good.

Trigger is not great ... but this is an SD weapon, not a range weapon, and it's great for that.

Taurus is like Bersa (another brand I really like) everyone I know who has one thinks they are a great value, and an excellent SD weapon. But on the internet there are those who have fired or owned dozens/hundreds and have nothing but bad luck with them.

I dunno. I own some S&W's and to be honest ... anytime I can find the money that's how I'll go. Fine quality guns, and a name that everyone respects.

But for a carry piece ... all I care about is reliability. And Taurus has provided that for me.

Atheists will believe anything to avoid the truth.
Old April 18, 2008, 11:26 AM   #24
Wuchak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghalleen
...I get tired of the Taurus bashers....
There is a difference between bashing them by saying, "Taurus sucks!" and recounting personal negative experiences with the company and their products. I have heard the same thing about Kimbers and if you go to some of the 1911 boards you'll find people warning you away from them. The reason you don't see as much about them is they are a low volume high-end product that very few gun buyers can even add to the list of guns they are considering due to the price. Taurus is a high volume low-end manufacturer and when people see their product, especially newbies, at a price much lower than the S&W and Rugers in the case they want to know if the Taurus is a deal. I once thought they were. Experience has taught me better. I don't care where they are made. I do care if their guns are reliable and if they provide good service if there is a problem. In my case they failed on both counts. I do see reports of problems with S&W and Ruger but unlike reports of problems with Taurus the S&W and Ruger reports usually end with the company paying shipping for the repair and the gun being fixed on a single return.

A note about the cars. It's not bigotry. Go get a copy of Consumer Reports Car Guide and look at the reported reliability tables in the back. These are based on the member surveys they conduct each year. The reliability of the US brands still lags behind the Japanese and some of the European cars. Many of the European brands are behind the US. The Koreans have even caught the US brands in reliability and are starting to overtake them. US automakers have been fighting this quality battle for 20 years and still haven't caught up. The Koreans did it in under 10 and they gave warranties 2 - 3 times as long as the US manufacturers while they were doing it.
Old April 18, 2008, 04:09 PM   #25
ghalleen

Wuchak,

I've been shooting for a long time, and initially avoided the Taurus guns. I remember when some of my friends were buying them in the early 80's because they were cheaper than the S&W and Beretta guns they seemed to be copying.

Over time, I have come to like them, regardless of price. I can afford to buy any gun I want, and often will spend a lot on a certain gun. However, in my opinion, the Taurus are just as good as the pricier selections.

I can't comment at all on customer service because I have only had a single experience with it, and it was decent. None of my Taurus handguns have broken, but I did contact them once to locate a scope mount for my Raging Bull. It's been a while since then, and it seems like I talked to a couple different people before I found the person who could order it for me.

It's possible that someday one of my guns will break and I might have a less-than-satisfactory experience with Taurus. I don't know. So far, so good, though.

BTW, I agree with you regarding the American versus other cars. I could go on and on about my opinions of the mistakes American car makers have made, both from quality of manufacturing and parts to horrible design mistakes, but I'll have to take that to another board somewhere.