The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the looks and use of Tyler-T Grips??
Love them!! 52 67.53%
Hate them, YUCK!!! 13 16.88%
Can't care. . .. 12 15.58%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15, 2008, 04:09 PM   #1
TheShootist1894

Revolvers with T-grips. . . Love? Hate? Indifferent?

The look of blued carry revolvers with Tyler-T's is starting to grow on me. . . .
I can't decide, I think I need more pictures. . . CALLING ALL T GRIP REVOLVERS!! Pictures, comments, pros, cons, aesthetics, usability?????? Do they damage the finish??

Lets see/hear it!!!
Old April 15, 2008, 07:06 PM   #2
10-96

I've got a number of older GI Smiths and I'm not ashamed to say I'm a big fan of the T-grip. I guess folks were accustomed to shooting those things in their original form- but the T-grip makes it much more comfortable for me. And, they're not at all hard to put on or to take off. I've never noticed any sort of damage or markings left by 'em.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old April 15, 2008, 07:10 PM   #3
ISP2605

Blued Model 49 with Tyler T-grip.

Blued 2.5" Model 19 with Pachmyer grip adapter.

Blued 6" Model 28 with S&W grip adapter.

Model 649 with Tyler T-grip.

Old April 16, 2008, 03:07 AM   #4
kamerer

I really like them. They let me use stock or similar style grips to keep an original look, but really have great ergonomics and control. I have used vintage Mershon, Pachmayr, and more modern Tyler ones on various guns. I like them quite a lot.

1) 19-5

2) 66-1

3) .455 HE, 1916

4)M&P 38, 1947
Old April 16, 2008, 05:31 AM   #5
chadwimc

I like it on my pimp gun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pimp gun.JPG (112.4 KB, 177 views)
Old April 16, 2008, 07:18 AM   #6
tipoc

They work.

Old April 16, 2008, 07:19 PM   #7
SAWBONES

They're better than the original "small" wooden S&W grips (or similar too-small grips from Colt), but not as good as a properly made grip that fills the hand and includes in its construction the space taken up by the Tyler T-Grip.

Before practical alternative aftermarket grips for double action revolvers were readily available, the Tyler T-Grips filled more of a need than they do now, but many folks who prefer to modify their guns as little as possible still like them, and the folks at Tyler telll me they can barely keep up with the demand, given the burgeoning popularity of CCW.

The T-grip can and does move laterally under grip pressure even when the original grip panels are screwed down tight, and is hence less secure than a solid type of grip which is shaped similarly to the configuration provided by the combination of original S&W stocks plus T-Grip.

I personally prefer the Uncle Mike's rubber version of the Craig Spegel stocks for my CCW J-frames over the combination of small wooden stocks plus Tyler T-Grip.
Old April 16, 2008, 08:36 PM   #8
tipoc

The Tylers have a few advantages. One, they allow for the stock wood grips, or stag, ivory etc. grips that you may have, to remain on the gun while they increase the shooting and handling characteristics. Two they add no bulk to the gun and minimal weight and are handy for CC. Three, they are inexpensive, less so than the cost of quality custom grips.

I have to disagree with sawbones on one point the proper size T grip for the gun will not move if correctly installed. I've had some on guns for years and there is no movement of the T grip. I heard from a friend who did have movement though he solved this by placing a thin piece of paper between the copper tab of the T grip and the frame.

They do not mar the original finish.

The T grips cost about the same or a bit less than rubber grips. Some shooters can't stand the feel of the rubber or it's look. The T grips are an alternative that for many shooters works well and can look good while doing it

tipoc
Old April 17, 2008, 06:01 AM   #9
rogertc1

I got my T-grip for my Stainless M-60 way back in the 70's when they were the cheap alternative to a custom grip which would cost a lot. I was poor back then and my 6o was my concealed piece.
New revolvers come with good grips now days.

ROG
Old April 17, 2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Superhouse 15

Who said "pimp gun?"

Model 37 with Nyclads.

Model 63. A training gun for the 37.

I have them on some others, too. These are the only ones I have pics of.
Old April 17, 2008, 03:12 PM   #11
mnw42

22-4 With Tyler T-Grip. It came with the gun and I can't imagine it with out it!

Old April 17, 2008, 05:02 PM   #12
Murdock

I like 'em

Quote:
The T-grip can and does move laterally under grip pressure even when the original grip panels are screwed down tight, and is hence less secure than a solid type of grip which is shaped similarly to the configuration provided by the combination of original S&W stocks plus T-Grip.
I have used them for years on a variety of Smiths and have never experienced this problem. The best thing about them is that they don't change the look of a vintage gun and grips much, and improve handling. Very retro.
Old April 17, 2008, 06:11 PM   #13
cocojo

Love the Tyler grip adapters. I have been using them for years. Be carefull though when you clean you gun with the black painted adapter on. If you use gun scrubber it will take the paint right off. I found out too late it take the black paint right off the adapter. I had to clean and polish it to alluminum natural color.
Old April 17, 2008, 07:37 PM   #14
MLeake

I only have one on my .22

So I can't say how well it helps with recoil control, as my .22 has minimal recoil. My guess is that it would help immensely with a K-frame, standard grip on a .357, but I haven't tried one.

What I can definitely say is that, for those of us with long fingers, the Tyler T-grip makes a stock K-frame much more comfortable to hold, and much easier to maintain a good grip / firing position.

I've had mine on my Model 18 for years, and wouldn't think of taking it off.

Cheers,

M
Old April 17, 2008, 08:36 PM   #15
SAWBONES

Quote:
I have to disagree with sawbones on one point the proper size T grip for the gun will not move if correctly installed. I've had some on guns for years and there is no movement of the T grip.
In some J-frames, they do move.
Gripframes aren't identical in shape from gun to gun, and Tyler T-Grips do move on some guns if you have a strong grip.
If they work well for you, I say more power to ya!
Old April 17, 2008, 09:08 PM   #16
Technosavant

Personally, I find them hideous. I'll never have them on my guns so long as rubber will suffice.

But as for your guns, they're your guns. Use what you like.
Old April 18, 2008, 11:14 AM   #17
dawgfvr

Actually they are quite beautiful from my perspective...wood and metal are always artful compared to land-fill destined rubber:

To be honest, I have used just about every grip imagined...and although the wood & T grip are the best concealment/presentable method...they can be quite punishing with 110 grain Corbon DPX + P.

I am actually going back to the OEM "rubber" boot grip that came with the 642. You give up one thing for the other...the same ol' story.
Old April 18, 2008, 08:16 PM   #18
pistolet1

For those times when I CCW, the Tyler T-Grip offers the best grip choice when maximum concealment is needed.
v[/IMG]
Old April 18, 2008, 10:27 PM   #19
MortalWombat

Here's my Colt Official Police MK III before and after adding T-grips. I prefer the after, in both look and feel :

Old April 18, 2008, 11:25 PM   #20
Casimer

I've found that it's often worth the trouble to dress the T-Grips with a file and then stone them smooth. Mine have never fit correctly until I've done this. I have a K38 that has a small nick from a T-Grip, which is what motivated me to start fitting them to the revolver.
Old April 21, 2008, 10:18 AM   #21
Brian Williams

Yep I like them, I did have one on my 35-1 till I got the Targets for it.

Old April 21, 2008, 10:42 AM   #22
saltydog452

The Tyler Adapter is good stuff.

Its even better for a CC 'belly gun' when mated with a Birami Hip-Grip adapter. See top photo on post #3 from ISP2605.

salty
Old April 23, 2008, 09:56 PM   #23
somerled

I've put them on K and N-frame S&Ws. They are useful if one is stuck with or wants to use the service grips with no filler behind the trigger guard. They do work loose and then shift from side to side.
Old April 24, 2008, 04:42 PM   #24
hpg

I thihk they are ugly and take away from the looks of the revolver..........hpg
Old April 24, 2008, 06:25 PM   #25
Webleymkv

Few things look quite as good

as a vintage snubby with T-Grips

Colt Cobra .38 special