The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2008, 03:49 PM   #1
DR. Furlicker

Military Brass

I have about 1800 .223 cases all with the LC head stamp and the year, some of them have the NATO symbol and some do not. Does the absence of the NATO symbol mean it is not military brass?
Old April 14, 2008, 05:12 PM   #2
NavyLT

I am not sure about the answer to your question, but, why would there be a concern if it's military brass or not? If it is the crimped primer pocket, I use an RCBS swaging tool and hand check the primer pocket with the swager part. I seperate the brass according to whether the swager fits in the pocket or not. If it does not, I set the brass aside and then actually mount the swager on the press and swage all those pockets that need it at once.
Old April 15, 2008, 12:07 AM   #3
totalloser

I don't think so. I have a bunch of brass that was supposed to be military, and have the crimp (WC FC etc.) but not the NATO headstamp. You worried about case capacity issues? Weigh 'em. 5.56 is pretty close to civilian stuff. Not like 7.62 NATO which is substantially smaller. Work up your loads for the heaviest case if you're nervous.