The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: all around .308 Remington LTR or 5R?
Remington LTR - Tactical coolness and handy 11 47.83%
Remington 5R - Stainless all the way and 5R barrel 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 12, 2008, 01:42 PM   #1
thequickad

Remington LTR or 5R in .308 Winchester?

I am looking to buy an all around .308 for shooting at the range, hunting, ...etc.

Narrowed it down to LTR and the 5R by Remington, like them both, one has 20" bbl and tactical (black) stock (LTR) - and the other has the famous 5R stainless barrel. price is within $100 of each so not that much different. Both have rav reviews and can shoot 1/2 MOA if the ammo is right and the shooter does his part.

Which one would you buy? and why?

thanks for helping with a very difficult choice.
Old April 12, 2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Yithian

Browning for the same price.
Old April 12, 2008, 11:49 PM   #3
bobn

must be under a rock, what is a 5 R?
thanks, bobn
Old April 13, 2008, 06:14 AM   #4
629 shooter

My 700LTR in .223 has been the most accurate factory rifle I have ever fired so I would probably buy the same rifle in .308 to have pair of LTRs. Not saying the 5R would not be a great choice.
Old April 13, 2008, 10:49 AM   #5
thequickad

Remington 5R is the 700 stainless action with the 24" 5R barrel

Remington LTR is the 700 Police LTR model with a 20" barrel

I just went and tried out my friend's at the range yesterday,he's got both, I would say the 5R edges out the LTR in term of accuracy maybe by 1/4 MOA? and also the 5R barrel was super clean after firing 20 shots. LTR had lots of fouling...
Old April 13, 2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Clocks

I would definitely say that depends on your needs. If you are hunting or truly using this rifle for "tactical" purposes in a security, LEO, or property security sense of the word, then the shorter barrel and its lighter weight may serve you better, given that your ranges and use case probably dont demand that extra quarter MOA of accuracy.

If you are looking for a good range rifle or an all purpose rifle AND dont mind the considerable extra weight of the 700SS 5R, go that way. 5Rs are relatively rare compared to normal production 700 rifles and are VERY accurate off the shelf.

For those "under a rock" as a previous poster joked, the 5r variant is a small annual production run which refers to a remington 700SS constructed with a special barrel that uses the same production process as those constructed for the military M24. The barrel is grooved with a special process which provides a gradient between the lands and the grooves. Further, the rate of twist is 1:11.25 rather than the "usual" 1:12. Further the throat of the barrel is "shorter", resulting in the projectile portion of a round constructed with the standard OAL of 2.8 inches nearly being at the point of the rifling. This, too, improves accuracy slightly.

Advantages: Excellent (in fact extraordinary) out of the box accuracy. Relatively easy cleaning after the breakin period (lower instance of copper fouling).

(Although with a rifle of this quality, i would STRONGLY discourage use of cheap target ammo. If you want something to shoot the cheap crap in, go buy a savage and save yourself some money.)

"The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct thier mistakes as soon as they recognize them." - Orson Scott Card
Old April 13, 2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I can't see the sense of a 20" heavy barrel except maybe for a swat cop to carry in his patrol car. The longer barrel will give you a little free velocity, noticeably less muzzle blast, and a longer iron sight radius if you took up Palma shooting or some such.

By the way, 5R stands for 5 groove, Russian pattern, and is based on adaptation of the rifling plan of AK74s captured in Afghanistan to US calibers and manufacturing practice. The Russians got it from a British design of about a hundred years before.
Old April 13, 2008, 12:12 PM   #8
nvhunter2

LTR is allot more handy unless you want to live on a bench. The LTR is allot more useful in the field its shorter and lighter. unless you are trying to shoot 1000 yard from a bench the 20" barrel is a big disadvantage.
Old April 13, 2008, 06:14 PM   #9
bobn

hey thanks guys for the info on this rifles' features....bobn

....ps besides being under a rock i do like the short but heavy contour barrels, go figure, lol.
Old April 13, 2008, 06:39 PM   #10
JDD308

Remington LTR in .308

I use a Remington LTR A2 20in fluted bull barrell now. I used to own a plain old LTR but decided to upgrade with the new features. I use 168 grain moly coated match grade rounds either by Black Hills or Hornady and I have never had any problems. I can put 3 shots into a dime @ 100 yards easily and that is even with my rifle and scope 1 inch high @ 100 yards. I use this rifle from anything from just plinking to deer hunting or varmint hunting. I haven't seen any results you discussed about the LTR fouling alot. But maybe that is because of the ammo i use, I don't know

I think it is hard to beat a Remington 700 LTR. I think it really depends on the shooter and which one feels most comfortable to you. You definitely want to make sure that you feel comfortable or you won't be happy with the results.

Never Argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Last edited by JDD308; April 13, 2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: add more info
Old April 13, 2008, 06:57 PM   #11
JDD308

Picture Of 700 LTR A2

The A2 is an Upgrade from the original 700 LTR. It included a 20x trigger the end of the barrel is crowned unlike the original LTR which just had a standard barrel end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 700 LTR.JPG (128.8 KB, 423 views)

Never Argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old April 14, 2008, 01:38 PM   #12
thequickad

I don't use Moly coated but I only use Federal Powershock and Gold Medal .308 ammo. The 5R is considerably cleaner (I push a patch through every 5 rounds) compared to the LTR at my last range session.