The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Leeman

I need a good bullet puller

I do not like one that is on the end of a hammer. Has anyone used some of the collet type brands with satisfaction?
Old April 9, 2008, 04:41 PM   #2
tom234

The RCBS collet type puller works great for jacketed bullets. The hammer type pullers work best for lead bullets
Old April 9, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
firewrench044

I like the Forster brand ( you will need to purchas the collets separatly )
Fits in your press
You use the same shell holder that you use with your sizeing die
It does not crush the bullet when it pulls it!
Old April 9, 2008, 05:56 PM   #4
GuateShooter

I buy 2 hammer type from dillon, but both was break int the first day of use, after 50 rouns, anyone know how this happen?
Old April 9, 2008, 06:04 PM   #5
ShootingNut

Leeman

I'm a great Bullet Puller, how much does it pay an hour?
SN
Old April 9, 2008, 07:06 PM   #6
BigJimP

I use the kinetic bullet puller ( hammer type ) all the time / and I've had the same one for 30 years at least - with no problems. Grandkids like to use it .....
Old April 9, 2008, 07:47 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

The Hornady Cam-Lock bullet puller is a collet type, press mounted puller, but is faster and easier to use than the RCBS & Forster collet type pullers. Once adjusted, a simple flip of a lever closes/opens the collet on the bullet, consistently every time. You need to buy a separate collet for every caliber of bullet you want to pull.

Andy
Old April 9, 2008, 07:49 PM   #8
nvhunter2

+1 Hornady Cam-Lock bullet puller
Old April 10, 2008, 09:28 AM   #9
UniversalFrost

Quote:
I buy 2 hammer type from dillon, but both was break int the first day of use, after 50 rouns, anyone know how this happen?
Yes, you whacked it to hard and too often. It only should take a few quick raps on a wooden surface to get the bullet out. Anything more and you need to get a press mounted collet type of puller.

All my pullers (the kinetic/hammer and collet/press mounted) are RCBS. I like RCBS because they have a great warranty and will replace it even if it was your fault. I too broke a hammer/kinetic type puller by whacking it too hard and on a metal table top and broke it, but a call to RCBS and they replaced it free of charge and I had the new one in a few days.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 10, 2008, 09:35 AM   #10
brickeyee

Use the kinetic pullers on end grain wood.
When it gets compressed enough cut an inch off.

If you scratch the plastic on concrete it will lead to cracking.

There are any number of bullet shapes a collet puller simply will not grab onto.
Old April 12, 2008, 07:22 AM   #11
Leeman

Thanks for the input.

Looks like the hammer type bullet puller is the favorite even though I excluded that from my choices. Surprisingly, even though it appears they sometimes break no one complained about plastic.
Hornady got two votes so I give that a try. Thank very much!
Old April 12, 2008, 11:30 AM   #12
Sevens

The kinetic (hammer) type puller works best for me simply because I only need it on occasion to pull one or two rounds as needed. To screw a die in to the press (likely having to take the currently used one out first) and go through all that just to pull one bullet is a lot of work.

Now if I got a steal on some horribly old corrosive milsurp crap that I bought simply to retrieve the bullets, I would certainly look in to a press-mount collet-type puller. But if I'm breaking down a box of 50 (or more!) loaded rounds in one sitting, then I need to step back and re-assess just exactly what the hell I'm doing at the reloading bench that I need to break down this many rounds. In other words, I'm not doing my part in making safe, quality ammo if I don't do enough research to avoid having to break down that much ammo.
Old April 12, 2008, 11:32 AM   #13
Sevens

Hell, I forgot to mention my experience with the hammer puller and how I destroyed one. I bought a Midway branded one back in like '92 or so. Most often, I beat it on a block of wood as directed, but simply put, it pulls a bullet more quickly when you hit it on something more solid, so I was often hammering on a steel swinging target. If you have a hard-crimped lead bullet, it takes serious energy to hammer it out, and that's how I shattered that puller, after 16 years of beating the hell out of it.

I replaced it with the RCBS puller and I'm treating this one a little bit better. Feels nicer in the hand than the old Midway puller.
Old April 12, 2008, 11:46 AM   #14
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by My reloading twin, Sevens
The kinetic (hammer) type puller works best for me simply because I only need it on occasion to pull one or two rounds as needed. To screw a die in to the press (likely having to take the currently used one out first) and go through all that just to pull one bullet is a lot of work.
The guy who sold me all my initial reloading equipment gave me an RCBS kinetic bullet-puller. I guess he took a little pity, or had a burst of conscience (he was kinda high on price, now that I think about it all these years later), and told me to never take my frustrations out on a bullet that needed pullin'.

I have an old piece of treated 2x6 that is about six inches square that he also gave me to use as a "base." I still have that piece of wood and I still end up using it almost every time I reload. I use it as a base for tapping out crimped primers, primers I screwed up, and as a base for the bullet puller. Still have that old RCBS, too.

I hold the puller as far down on the handle as I can, and swing just hard enough to get a good "whack!" on the base of that board. It's not unusual for it to take me six or more swings with jacketed bullets to get everything separated. Lead bullets can take even more swings.

My reloading mentor told me to never try and get the bullet out on the first or second swing. Be patient, he explained, and use that time correcting your mistake to think about it.

I realize not all uses of a bullet puller are due to our mistakes, but in my case, more often than not, that IS the case.

However, I am going to order the Hornady collet puller. I got a chance to use one at a friend's house the other day and it IS a nifty little tool to have at your reloading bench.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old April 16, 2008, 02:52 AM   #15
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateShooter
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you were pulling military 5.56? Light bullets that are crimped or otherwise sealed are almost impossible to pull with a kinetic puller without loosening them first.

Heavy bullets usually pull well with the hammer type pullers.
Old April 16, 2008, 09:21 AM   #16
UniversalFrost

Leeman wrote:

Quote:
Looks like the hammer type bullet puller is the favorite even though I excluded that from my choices. Surprisingly, even though it appears they sometimes break no one complained about plastic.
Hornady got two votes so I give that a try. Thank very much!
Actually, I would go with an RCBS hammer type puller.

If you break (even if it was your fault) they will replace it for free.

Have fun with Hornady customer service if you break it.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 16, 2008, 10:39 AM   #17
GuateShooter

Sport 45 :

Thanks, I use it to pull 0.40 S&W, 45 ACP, 9mm, and Im hammering to a bench of wood, both hammers break when Im pulling 0.40 crimped .
Old April 16, 2008, 07:17 PM   #18
totalloser

I got the RCBS collet puller, after breaking a few RCBS kinetic pullers (yes, .223) and though I could return them, it's just not worth the time or hassle for $15. I had the aluminum retainer strip, the plastic ring break, and the face crack. That's hammering on relatively soft doug fir. Now I use the collet for ALL my calibers. I really like it. No good for "plated" bullets, though. Still use the kinetic.

Had I seen the new Hornady Cam lock puller, I would have gotten it. It is FAR superior in ergonomics. I use the puller on a turret, and have to index the collet with my finger to set it to lock, as the rod interferes with the other dies (can't do a full circle, only 230 degrees, or something like that) I can't vouch for it otherwise, but would have purchased it rather than my RCBS. The collet style are great pullers, none the less.
Old April 16, 2008, 07:28 PM   #19
CrustyFN

The only thing I like about the kinetic puller is that it is such a PITA that it makes me pay very close attention so I won't have to use it. When I was fairly new at reloading I had to pull 93 bullets with one and that was a very good learning experience.
Rusty
Old April 16, 2008, 10:18 PM   #20
enstorm

I never had good results with a kinetic puller. I got the rcbs collet type and it works well for me. I am not a volume bullet puller guy, I only use it when I f up (which of course is extremely rare)
Old April 17, 2008, 12:00 AM   #21
btefft

I use the Franklin Arsenal inertia bullet puller. It came with three collets for different caliber cases. But I've just discovered that I don't need to use those. I found that a shell holder fits in the head of the hammer like a natural. No more having to put the collets together to insert a bullet into.

It only takes a 3-4 sharp raps on a piece of wood, I use a 2x4, to dislodge the bullet.

I only use it occasionally and don't need to expend the $$$ to buy the "die" kind of bullet pullers.

Hack
Old April 17, 2008, 11:50 AM   #22
gandog56

What don't you like about the hammer inertia puller? I've been using one for almost twenty years. It is certainly your cheapest option.
Old April 17, 2008, 01:05 PM   #23
CPTMurdoc30

I have used my hammer bullet puller as a hammer a few times. Not a single problem here. I normaly smck it on a piece of angle iron I have one press mounted to. This is not a high volume operation as after about 10 my hand hurts for about 4 hours.

I would just get the Hornady or RCBS collet pullers. If done right they doo less damage than a hammer type to some bullets (Soft points).
Old April 18, 2008, 08:35 AM   #24
Leeman

Hi grandog56.
I've used a hammer type bullet puller and they really do not work well with light bullets.
It goes against my nature to pound the hell out of a loaded round of ammunition.
When I was a very young lad I found a 22 rimfire and my friends at school were frightened that it would blow up and hurt someone. To show them they had nothing to be afraid of I threw it at the sidewalk and it exploded.
Old April 18, 2008, 01:52 PM   #25
gandog56

But nothing is near the primer on a centerfire cartridge with a kinetic.