The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2008, 03:25 PM   #1
VA9mm

870 Questions

So it's time to add a 12ga to the collection. Main purpose is hd.

My question is do I need to spend the extra money for the tactical or will I be ok with the express? I will of course take it to the range but it will simply sit in my house 99% of the time. The Express was $350, Tactical OD green around $570, and the tactical desert camo with muzzle brake $660. Money not really an issue just wanted your thoughts.
Old April 9, 2008, 05:31 PM   #2
RoscoeC

The express is perfectly fine. If I had to put numbers to it, I would say the shotgun is about 15% and your training and practice is the other 85. A good reliable pump or semi auto is really all you need. The other ninja crap is to impress your buddies, or to look good when you post a picture on the forum. It is also good for breaking down and causing problems. The 870 express, straight stock is perfect. You may need more than 4 or 5 rounds, but that is where honing your loading skills comes in.

My opinion. You will get lots of others, but at the end of the day if you have to use the weapon, the guy on the receiving end won't know or care if it had a 14 round extension, surefire forend, Knoxx Spec Ops stock, Scattergun Technologies magazine follower, etc. or if it was just a good ol 870 express.
NRA Life Member
Old April 9, 2008, 05:33 PM   #3
rem870hunter

for HD purposes mainly i would go with one of these 2 870s

an express magnum model. with the synthetic stock and forend,18" cyl. bore barrel,or a 20" rifle sighted imp. cyl. choked slug barrel. with or without a 7 or 8 shot ext.tube. would have to buy the ext. tube separately if you buy the rifle sighted model.

or a wingmaster magnum model. and get the 18" cyl. bore or 20" rifle sighted smoothbore slug barrel for that. would come with a 26" or 28" vr. barrel from the factory though.

either one should pump smooth and reliable. the wingmaster looks better. and only comes with a wood stock and forend. would have to buy synthetic separate for it.
it has a different finish but if its mainly going to be in the house for defense. i would just get the express model. cheaper price. but WILL ALWAYS GO BANG. no matter what

for either just a slip on butt cuff that holds 5 shells. shouldn't really need a pistol grip buttstock and or forend.

i have 2 wingmasters that have the choate pistol grip buttstock. dad and i hunted with them until i got an express mag. i put a speedfeed 2 synthetic butt and forend on it. 5 shot capacity. 3 barrels for it. 20" smooth.20" rifled and a 28" rem choke vr.
Old April 9, 2008, 05:39 PM   #4
yourotherleft

870 Express is fine.
Old April 9, 2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Gbro

Now how about the new Mossberg Over bored shot gun.
We want a pattern, and might this work better?
http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...2&display=feat
Its available in 20 to 28 inch barrel.
Old April 14, 2008, 04:18 PM   #6
VA9mm

Took your guys suggestions and went with the Express. I didn't really see a need to spend the extra money and 4rds should do the trick.

I can use the extra money for practice ammo and if I want I can add on to it in the future. Mag extension, different stock, etc. I did pick up a R3 recoil pad, 15 boxes Ranger reduced recoil 8 pellet 00buck and Ranger Slugs for some range fun.

Going to take it to the range and pattern it this weekend.
Old April 14, 2008, 04:53 PM   #7
coldfusion167

I just bought me one of these for HD:

Mossberg Maverick 88. I shot if for the first time yesterday. Very happy!
Old April 14, 2008, 08:42 PM   #8
rantingredneck

Quote:
Now how about the new Mossberg Over bored shot gun.
Those aren't exactly "new". Been around for quite a few years in fact. I've had one for about 10 years now and it's a good woods gun and would do fine for HD with 2 3/4" loads. For years the 24" barrel version did double duty as my HD gun as well as Deer/Turkey. As another poster said, it's 85% you anyway.

The only real drawback to the overbored 835/935 is that you cannot fire slugs through the overbored barrel. You can buy dedicated slug barrels for them though that are not overbored.

Forgot to add, that I have two 870 express's that do fine for HD or woods work. Run lots of shells through your gun and be happy. .
Old April 15, 2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Diesel1

coldfusion176

I'm glad you like your stockless shotgun. My brother had a the same gun labled Mossberg and it was shall we say, 'unpleasant' on the wrists and hands after a while. As is with most Mossberg/Maverick shotguns, stone reliable also.
Old April 15, 2008, 01:18 PM   #10
punkkin

The 870 Express is an amazing shotgun for the price. I've been very pleased with mine.
Old April 16, 2008, 02:04 PM   #11
VA9mm

Good luck with that pistol grip. I've fired the exact same mossy with slugs and buckshot after 10rds I had enough.
Old April 16, 2008, 03:33 PM   #12
coldfusion167

Diesel1 - Yeah after a while it starts to hurt your wrist. Not really a big issue with me because the main purpose is for HD.
Old April 17, 2008, 12:01 PM   #13
Line Rider

Remington Express 870's are good guns for the money. They have some MIMS parts and the trigger group safety. Express 870 come with the standard springs. Express 870's don't go through all the checks that the Police models go through. the Express 870's are built to compete in price with Mossberg.

The Remington Police Model are the top of the line. No MIMS parts and all metal trigger group with no lock. Police Models have the heavier springs, and will accept the magazine extention without modifications. The Police Model are built to a higher standard and going thought 20 to 25 checks. The Police Models are built for the law enforcement and the military. They are used on the streets of Bagdad and the streets of hometown America. The resale value on a Police 870 will be a more than on the Express.