The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 8, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Bulldog1806

Savage 375 H&H?

After reading a post about savage arms being a good rifle for the money, I went and put a deposit on their 375 H&H. Does anyone have any feedback about this rifle of the 375 cartridge itself ?
The gun isn't being used to hunt with, it's just to take to the range every once in a while. I know you may ask why such a big gun,.... why not?
Old April 8, 2008, 05:19 PM   #2
taylorce1

Well you definately bought a rifle that was intended to hunt. I'll be suprised if you keep it very long if all you are going to do is shoot it at the range. If you enjoy shooting it at the range I'll be suprised. That said I don't own an H&H but I do have the .375 Ruger and I can tell you I will not shoot it at the range anymore than I have to.
Old April 8, 2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Ulrice

I don't know anything about the Savage rifles but I can tell that you will know when you've pulled the trigger on a 375 H&H. I have a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H. My gun wieghs about 9 lb. I don't find recoil to be excessive but have only fired it in standing and kneeling positions, never off a bench. Don't know if it makes any difference but I typically shoot a 7mm Rem Mag.
Old April 8, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4
KDM

I'll tell you what I was told about a year ago...you picked a timeless, classic cartridge. The 375 H&H is one of the great big game hunting rounds.

I picked up a CZ550 early last year. It's a 9.5# rifle without scope, which makes it easy to shoot. Not sure how much your Savage weighs, but if it's lighter than 8.5# I'd suggest a Limbsaver pad.

With the CZ, I'm good for around 30 rounds off the bench. Throw in some field positions (except prone ) and I can spend all day at the range with it.

I don't hunt with mine, just shoot it at the range couple times a month. Not sure if you're gonna reload. You might consider it, 'cause feeding this thing is expensive with factory ammo.
Old April 8, 2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Bulldog1806

Quote:
I'll be suprised if you keep it very long if all you are going to do is shoot it at the range.
Thank you all for the help..

Also I have Never sold a gun that I have bought. I buy it for me, and then to one day pass it down to my son.
Old April 8, 2008, 06:21 PM   #6
taylorce1

I wasn't trying to upset you in any way, but you asked my opinion. Plus with the only rifle I saw listed you own as a .308 Saiga, well that is a huge step up in recoil. Not to mention price as was already stated, don't be suprised if you are asked to pay more than $50 for a box of ammunition.

Quote:
Also I have Never sold a gun that I have bought. I buy it for me, and then to one day pass it down to my son.
I don't get that attached to them any way unless there is some history behind them. I always have room to upgrade, and if someone has more cash than sense, or somthing I want then I'll part with one to get what I want. A Savage rifle isn't exactly heirloom material, but they are good shooters.

Last edited by taylorce1; April 8, 2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old April 8, 2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Bulldog1806

Quote:
I wasn't trying to upset you in any way, but you asked my opinion. Plus with the only rifle I saw listed you own as a .308 Sagia, well that is a huge step up in recoil. Not to mention price as was already stated, don't be suprised if you are asked to pay more than $50 for a box of ammunition.
No I wasn't mad..Yeah I know the ammo is expensive but I also just bought a big gunsafe and need to fill it up and I used to have a .338 and just wanted a nice bolt action rifle in the $ 700 range. thanks again.

I also look forward to the recoil..
Old April 8, 2008, 07:18 PM   #8
homefires

BAAAAANNNNNG! WhoooooooooooHooooooooo! Damn that Hurt!
Old April 8, 2008, 08:34 PM   #9
KDM

+1 on what homefires said. BAAAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGG!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Do it again!!! Do it again!!!! Whaddya mean I'm outta ammo?!!??!!

At least, that's how it goes with me!
Old April 8, 2008, 08:57 PM   #10
homefires

Waaaaaaaaaaay Back when I was 11 years old, my father let me shoot his model 70 Win .375.....

He said Oh Com on these are half loads!

His half load pulled me off the bench and he caught the rifle. Never mind me , I think he figured I would bounce and be ok!

Did I do it again? You bet. I shot 5 rounds that day and had the foot ball shaped bruise on my shoulder to prove it.

A few weeks later I got to shoot it again. This time he gave me a hot round . He ( my father ) had positioned him self behind me to keep me on the bench. One was enough. I went back to my .243!
Old April 8, 2008, 11:46 PM   #11
Rugerno1shooter

I have a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H and I love it. It's just like a bigggggg fast push...don't fight it don't square up behind it on the bench and make sure you've got a good grip-it's nothing near the nastiest of the nasties but it certainly pushes you a bit!

You go bloody broke shooting it though-I reload and the bullets for this caliber (.375) are insaine!! (nearly 30.00 for 50 for my fav sierras)
It chews up lots of powder as well!
The cases aren't too bad though
I shoot mine reloaded for around 75Cents a shot

The only rifle I shoot more than that is my 6.5x55 Tikka T3
I believe my longest range session was around 40 rounds???

my loads push 300gr bullets to around 2600fps
-260gr bullets to around 2800fps

I'm working on a 235gr 3000fps load but we'll see how that one does

Give her a spin!
PM me if you want some load data for it-
Old April 9, 2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

The worse thing about a 375 H&H isn't the recoil, its the price on a box of ammo. If you can get away for $50 a box consider yourself lucky.

As far as recoil, it is stout. Not unbearable however. If you want to go shoot 10 or 20 rounds through it at a sesson you won't a have a problem. If you want to go shoot it all day, that's another story. As a point of reference, I'm basing my recoil experience on a 7mm Rem Mag and a 45-70 govt.

Savage makes great rifles so I'm sure you'll get a shooter.
Old April 9, 2008, 06:48 AM   #13
lt dan

375H&H WOW! that is my dream rifle. at the moment a gunsmit is building me a 300H&H.my next rifle will be the 375.in africa the 375H&H has a cult following. the thing is it is very powerful but with little meat damage. this has often amazed me. my brother in law worked for a rifle factory(Musgrave) in south-afrca for 15 years. i asked him more than once what is the best since he had a lot of experience in custom rifles.his answer was always the same: 300H&H but if i can afford the ammo the answer is the 375H&H. to watch the 375 in action is fantastic. i do believe it is only a matter of time before you will want to see the results of this rifle on safari.

the stories of the 375 are legendary. people say they shoot from varmits to buffalo with what they call the "baas"(boss/master) of africa.

be carefull though of the recoil, but i do suspect that this is one of the reasons why you want it. enjoy keep us up to speed, you are now in the company of a legend.
Old April 9, 2008, 03:09 PM   #14
AlaskaMike

I don't really understand what all the fuss is about the recoil. My Ruger M77 RSM in .375 H&H definitely kicks more than my .30-06 rifles, but it's not like it's a Howitzer.

You do have to be careful of your body position when you shoot heavier-recoiling rifles--if you get almost prone over a bench, you're definitely going to feel much more of the recoil than if you can roll with it.

Ken Waters, in "Pet Loads" described the recoil of the .375 H&H as a slow push, and contrasted it with the "fast punch" of the .300 magnums, saying the recoil of the .375 bothered him less. After shooting my brother's Kimber in .300 WSM, I have to agree. Naturally part of this has to be due to the lighter weight of the .300's. The only rifle I ever fired that gave me a bruise on my shoulder is my little 5 lb. Rossi .44 magnum with it's curved steel butt plate and heavy loads with 300+ grain bullets. Compared to that, my .375 H&H is a ***** cat!

Mike

Last edited by AlaskaMike; April 9, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old April 9, 2008, 04:18 PM   #15
Bulldog1806

Thanks men.. I can't wait for her to arrive at the gun shop.
Old April 9, 2008, 06:46 PM   #16
KROIL

The .375 H & H is an awesome round. A good buddy has that round chambered in a custom rifle that I have fired a few times at the range. I did not find the recoll to be bad and was very accurate in that rifle. Two years ago he lucked out and drew a moose tag. At two hundred yards he dropped a very nice bull with one shot.
Old April 10, 2008, 08:44 PM   #17
mikenbarb

Hey .375 guys,(me too) Cheaper Than Dirt has Winchester Super-X FMC 300Gr. for $33.69 box of 20. (Club Price 32.01) Got me 10. boom boom boom boom boom boom Woooooo Hoooooo