The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 7, 2008, 03:27 AM   #1
mellow_c

Best .22 Double Action Revolver for the money!?

Hey everyone. I'm starting my search for a nice .22lr double action revolver. I'd probably like one with a 4 inch barrel, but would consider up to a 6". Also, I'd like it to have atleast an 8 shot cylinder, 10 would be nice. I saw Smith and Wesson has a real nice 10 shot, but it's almost $700! I'd like to spend less than $500. Please let me know what you like best. I was also wondering if there are any type of speed loaders for .22 revolvers? Thanx
Old April 7, 2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Hafoc

A used Smith, if it checks out OK. How to check it out is listed at the top of the page.

I don't know if Ruger GP100s or Dan Wessons would come in under your $500 or not. I'd guess a used Colt wouldn't.

Other than that you're looking at the Taurus 94, a 9-shot .22 about the size of the S&W Model 63 Kit Gun (which is back in production, but methinks you ain't gonna get one of those new for under $500 either). On that revolver there are mixed opinions. Some people have them and like them, some don't. Taurus makes large .22 revolvers too, come to think of it, including a 7-shot "Tracker" built on a mid-sized frame, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I had a Taurus 94 for a while. It was blued and I sold it because, silly me, I wanted a stainless version. Haven't gotten one yet. I'm waiting for one to show up at the local gun store. I don't want to have them order one in special for me, because people have reported enough problems with them that I'd not feel comfortable getting one unless I'd had a chance to check it out before buying.
Old April 7, 2008, 08:00 AM   #3
22-rimfire

If you want a good DA 22 revolver, suck it up and buy the 4" Model 617 or wait for a new Model 63 5" that should be out this year. They are only getting more expensive. There are a number of very good 6-shots around including ones made by Colt and Smith. Price is always a concern, but buy good stuff and it will last you as long as you live and will be a joy to shoot unlike some of the cheaper revolvers around.

Many like the old H&R 22 revolvers which can be had for under $300 normally used.
Old April 7, 2008, 08:00 AM   #4
tleach

I have a Taurus 94 and a S&W 617. While the Taurus is a fine revolver I much prefer the Smith. It is an amazingly accurate gun. I also have a Colt Frontier Scout which is a fine SA revolver and a Ruger Mark II that is a really accurate gun, although it's not a revolver.

You can't go wrong with the Smith.

Terry
Old April 7, 2008, 08:27 AM   #5
tulsamal

I would start watching gunbroker for a nice K-22. The trick is to avoid the super nice ones that will end up safe queens anyway. I like to buy one that is nice enough that I'm proud to own it but worn enough that I can actually use it!

Gregg
Old April 7, 2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Neophyte1

concept

tulsamal: I like the concept: don't know how to do the Quote; but your 3rd sentence says it all.

By the standards of most
Old April 8, 2008, 02:56 AM   #7
mellow_c

Maybe .22-rimfire is right (Smith and Wesson 10 shot 617). I could just get one that will always be there for me. Thats what I've done with all the rest of my guns, so why stop now just because it's a .22. And I dont suppose I'll ever wear it out. And if I do. I can just sell it and get a new one Thanx for all the posts everyone. I'll be sure to check all of these out. I'm not going to get one anytime soon. I just bought 2 AK-47's and I need to stop buying guns for a while!
Old April 8, 2008, 04:49 AM   #8
mk70ss

For my money the best .22 revolvers are the S&W model 17's and 18's. Here'e a pic of my 18.

Old April 8, 2008, 05:18 AM   #9
NGIB

I am a real fan of Dan Wesson and I have 2 of their .22s with barrels ranging from 2 inch to 8 inch. One in good shape with 1 barrel can be had for $300-$350 without much problem. Exceedingly accurate and very nice shooters...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old April 8, 2008, 05:58 AM   #10
22-rimfire

As was mentioned, keep your eyes open for a Smith Model 17 (typically 6") or Smith Model 18 (4") 6-shot 22 revolver. These are two of the best 22 revolvers ever made and you can find one within your budget of $500 used or just slightly used. They are six-shooters and will always hold their value relative to other revolvers as long as you take care of them.

You can find the J-frame Smith 22 revolvers within your budget. They generally will not have as nice a trigger as their larger K-frame brothers in 22. It has to do with the length of the springs used in making them smaller. The 317 are lightweight short barreled examples of the "kit guns". The Model 63 that will be out later this year with a steel frame. I'll probably buy one the Model 63's. I'm looking forward to those 5" guns. But I already have a Model 17, Model 18, and most of the Colt 22 revolvers already.
Old April 8, 2008, 08:14 AM   #11
CajunBass

I've got a Dan Wesson also, and it seems to be a great gun. I haven't fired it a lot, but it seems to shoot well. About the only "knock" I have on it is that it is a BIG gun. Bigger than a "K" frame Smith, more like an "L" frame really. With the stock "target" grips, it's a bit of a reach for me in D/A mode. S/A which is they way I plan to shoot the gun most of the time is no problem. Of course, on the other hand, you'll never wear one out.

I looked at a S&W not long after I got the DW, and the Smith is a nicer gun. But it cost almost twice as much as I paid for the DW. IMHO, the DW is a great bargain.

Shown with a Ruger Single Six, and a Bearcat for size comparison.

John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 8, 2008, 12:33 PM   #12
mnw42

If you are willing to drop to six shots you can find old Colt Police Positives for under $350. I don't recall 22 cal Troopers being all that much either.

If you can shop around deals can be had; such as the $550 I paid for my Officer Model Special..
Old April 8, 2008, 12:49 PM   #13
tulsamal

Just in case we have a confused newbie...

A few of us are talking about the same gun but with different names. S&W called their K frame .22 target pistol the K-22 Masterpiece. Then they started using model numbers. So the K-22 became the Model 17 in 1957. I'm too old and crusty to like that. I just call every M17 I see a K-22. Too nice of a name to drop!

The M18 used to be the K-22 Combat Masterpiece. Produced with a four inch barrel. The K-22/M17 was a target gun. The K-22 CM/M18 was designed to be a .22 version of the four inch service revolver.

Gregg
Old April 8, 2008, 05:48 PM   #14
DIXIEDOG

H+R Sportsman 9-shot break top revolver. The three examples I've seen were real tack drivers and they feel great. They are increasingly hard to come by today but ocassional examples pop up at good prices.
Old April 8, 2008, 08:46 PM   #15
Radagast

Following on with the codes, the 617 is the stainless steel model 17 with a full length barrel underlug and a choice of 6 or ten shot cylinders in four or six inch barrels. Otrher lengths have been made in the past.

The model 63 is a six shot stainless steel revolver on a small Jframe, being more of a camping Kit Gun than a target revolver.

There is also an aluminium framed version of the 63, the 317 with a reputation for having a very heavy trigger pull.
Old April 8, 2008, 08:49 PM   #16
Radagast

Following on, the 317 is an eight shot revolver with a two or three inch barrel. The new five inch model 63 will have an 8 shot capacity as well.

FWIW, I bought my father a 617. If I was looking for a double action .22 for myself I would find a second hand model 17, I'm not a fan of the full underlug or the target trigger on the 617.
Old April 8, 2008, 09:30 PM   #17
B.N.Real

I just bought a High Standard Sentinel,blued with a six inch barrel,with beautiful wood grips,in great shape for $179 at a local gunstore in Northern Virginia.

I saw many used rimfire Smith's on the internet for around $500.

Colt Diamondback 22 prices made me laugh out loud they were so high.

The only real guaranteed 22 revolver quality wise that I know off for under $500 new is the single action Rugers.

The new Taurus's have had some issues.

But that was my fall back gun,a used 22 Taurus if I could buy one at a good price.

That way if there was a problem,sending it back to get it fixed would'nt make me as mad.
Old April 9, 2008, 09:08 PM   #18
L_Killkenny

Best for the $$. Hands down its an H&R. Find em for between $100/150 and accurate enough. Smith guys won't like it but for the $$ it can't be beat.

LK