The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 6, 2008, 12:11 AM   #1
jclay247

Rossi .223 help.

I recently purchased a new Rossi .223 with a 23" barrel. I took out it shooting today using 55 grain wolf ammunition. At fifty yards I could not hit a target the size of a paper plate. I can do fine with my ruger 10/22 out to 100+ yards.

is something wrong with this gun or... what?

Could someone help me with some ideas as to why I am not shooting accurately.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Old April 6, 2008, 12:16 AM   #2
jpwilly

You mentioned "Wolf" ammo...not the best but you should be able to make a decent group at the range of only 50yrds. What is the twist rate of the bbl? Did you scope your rifle or are you shooting irons?
Old April 6, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3
jclay247

shooting irons at the moment, and the twist is... 1:12"
Old April 6, 2008, 12:24 AM   #4
jpwilly

Try lighter bullets...definately try decent ammo too (not Wolf). 1-12 twist in 223 is going to prefer the 40gr range right up to around 53gr max from my experience. If the bullets weren't stabilizing you would have seen "keyholes" bullets holes that look like the bullet flew through the target sideways.
Old April 6, 2008, 12:27 AM   #5
jclay247

Being kind of new to centerfire rifles I did not know that rifling could have such a dramatic effect on accuracy... I will try what you said this week, and let you know.
Old April 6, 2008, 12:30 AM   #6
jpwilly

Most centerfire rifles aren't that picky but the small 22 cal centerfires are. That's because 10grains more bullet weight makes the small bullets much longer and they need a faster twist rate to stabilize the bullet. My DPMS AR-15 with 1-9 Twist shoots 50grn bullets the best. These are 100yrd groups:

From this:
Old April 6, 2008, 04:55 PM   #7
jclay247

Once I get the right ammunition, how accurate should this gun be? I am just really worried I got "screwed" when I purchased it, If it doesn't hit worth squat.

Legitimate concern? yes/no?
Old April 6, 2008, 05:10 PM   #8
sureshots

Wolf is no good unless it is the Wolf Gold with the brass Cases. I sighted my 223 Handi Rifle with federal and than switched over to Wolf and it was not even on A twelve by twelve target at 100 yards. So you will probably be OK when you buy some more ammo. The 223 Cal is usually A very accurate shooter, can't say about the Rossi though. Some are good shooters some are not.
Old April 6, 2008, 05:13 PM   #9
jclay247

I really hope this gun is accurate with different ammo, or I basically spent 180$ for nothing...

Last edited by jclay247; April 6, 2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old April 6, 2008, 10:43 PM   #10
jpwilly

I hope different ammo will help you too. Also, pull the trigger so slowely that the rifle surprises you when you fire - don't anticipate it firing...it should be a surpise everytime.
Old April 7, 2008, 09:48 AM   #11
jclay247

alright, I'll update once i get new ammunition tomorrow.
Old April 7, 2008, 11:05 AM   #12
jclay247

I called Rossi and all they said was to use approved or semi-approved ammunition... which wasn't any help at all. I am heading out to wal-mart in a moment to see if i can find some better ammo, and to see if that fixes it.
Old April 8, 2008, 10:06 AM   #13
ryalred

Are you using a rest? The trigger pull on some Rossies is pretty heavy. If you aren't shooting with a rest you may be pulling off target with the heavy trigger pull. I'd use sand bags or some other shooting rest to make sure the inaccuracy wasn't me. (Aslo, make sure the sights are tight. Every once in a while you'll get a loose one.) I also agree with others who have suggested purchasing ammo with lighter bullets.
Old April 8, 2008, 12:06 PM   #14
xsquidgator

Definitely try new ammo. I don't know what's the best. I've shot a little Remington 55gr and some S&B 55 gr and was able to shoot MOA with it and an out of the box rifle (on a rest but hey). I'm sure match grade would be better but even the ordinary brass stuff ought to do better than what you're experiencing.

I hope it's not the brand or your rifle. I still have a Rossi 357 snubbie that's now broken 3 times (factory service each time). It's still in my safe, broken. If I spend the $ to send it the factory AGAIN, I'm selling it to some shop as soon as it gets back. I hope you didn't get a Rossi rifle like my Rossi pistol...