The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2008, 10:44 AM   #1
briang2ad

Glock 26 vs. XD SC vs. CZ RAMI

I am wondering about a very concealable 9mm LIKE THESE, but would like comments from folks who own and/or shot 2 or 3 of these. Thanks.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Richard

My choice isn't on your list. What is it? I would opt for a Glock 27; I would then purchase: a spare 9mm barrel and magazines plus a 357 Sig barrel. With this setup you will be able to shoot 40 S&W, 9mm, and 357 Sigs from the same gun. It just makes sense to me. Regards, Richard
Old April 5, 2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Ralph Allen

I own a Glock 26, XD sub compact 40, and a CZ PO1. The Glock 26 in a Bianchi IWB holster is by far the most comfortable/concealable of these 3 very fine weapons.
Ralph
Old April 5, 2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Officer's Match

What Richard said.
Old April 5, 2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Watarski

I just went through this decision as well, but I was also looking at the M&Pc. I chose the 26. It is (IMO) more concealable than the others. I have a .40 pistol already, but felt the 27 was snappier than I wanted in a smaller package. The 26 is very fun to shoot. I also got a lot of responses saying to buy additional barrels, and quite frankly I wanted a concealed carry piece that was reliable, cheap to shoot, and at a low price point - I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ on another barrel. If you think you may want to shoot other calibers, then the 27 makes sense. My 2 cents...
Old April 5, 2008, 02:23 PM   #6
dairycreek

[QUOTE]I am wondering about a very concealable 9mm LIKE THESE, but would like comments from folks who own and/or shot 2 or 3 of these. Thanks./QUOTE]

I own and shoot all three of the pistols you mention and all, IMHO, are excellent choices. My personal choice is the XD9SC. It fits me the best and I do better with it than either of the other two. My oldest daughter visited recently and fell in love with the CZ RAMI and "adopted" it from my home to hers where it now lives forever. She could have "adopted" any of the three but opted for the little CZ. However, for me the XD is the better option. FWIW

GOOD SHOOTING
Old April 5, 2008, 02:56 PM   #7
gilfo

Held all three in my hand. Opted for the Rami. Just feels alot better than the 26 or XD. I have small hands and the Rami fit my hand better. 26 grip was to short XS seemed to me a bit top heavy.
Goof luck with whatever you choose all are fine pistols.
Old April 5, 2008, 03:15 PM   #8
ChicagoTex

Let me begin first by saying I carry a Kahr CW40

With that said, the G26 was the very close competitor for my choice of carry weapon so of the three you listed, it'd be my #1

I have no personal experience with the RAMI but I own a CZ75B .40 that I trust implicitly and would not hesitate to carry the RAMI (although it's certainly heavier than the G26).

If you read my thread "Autos you just don't get along with?" you'll find that I've had issues with the XD's trigger blade pinching my finger. However, prior to that experience, I handled an XD40SC and noted that what I liked about it was the same thing that would make me turn it down every time as a CCW, it's big enough to handle almost like the full-size, unfortunately that means it doesn't conceal very well.

So let me break it down into my personal position:
1. I like the G26 so much I'm still seriously thinking about buying despite the fact that I'm happy as a clam with my Kahr.
2. I trust the RAMI so much that if I had one, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it but I would almost certainly never buy one because I don't feel a need right now for a steel subcompact in my collection.
and 3. The XD Subcompact is honestly too big to be really effectively carryable (again, in my opinion/experience) and the trigger bites me, but if the trigger was fine I would likely enjoy it thoroughly on the range (especially with the extended "full-size" grip)

As always, your mileage may (and probably will) vary.
Old April 5, 2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Playboypenguin

I went through a very similar decision recently. The big difference is the RAMI did not make the potentials list. I just can't get over the poorly molded look and feel of the metal parts.

I ended up buying the XD-9SC because it just felt the best to me and gave the best performance at the range. The reason I was buying this was for a HD gun and the XD excelled in that category with it's great balance, accuracy, and high (16 round) capacity.

Recently I have decided I wanted something easy to carry that I can take with me on trips where I will be checking it in cargo. I wanted something extremely reliable, durable, and easy to use. I also wanted something easy to carry and conceal while I am in the south in the summer time. Also, I wonted something that would give me more than five rounds and that I would not get attached to if it was damaged or stolen in transit on the plane.

I thought about getting another XD-SC, a S&W M&P, and even looked at the polymer frame RAMI (which was still a big turn off to me) but I wound up buying a Glock 26. My dealer had a used/like new one he gave me a good deal on and I am anxious to pick it up and give it the once through.

I had shot the G27 during my initial range tests and I really thought it would be a great gun but that it just was not for me and that I liked the XD better as a HD gun. Now with the new criteria of it being a travel and carry gun I thought the advantage actually went to the Glock. I thought the .40S&W (G27) was a bit too snappy in the Glock and would be harder to get ammo for if I ended up somewhere in the boonies with no ammo so I went with the very capable 9mm version (G26).

In the end I just decided that the G26 is easy to shoot, small and light making it super easy to carry and conceal, accurate, and has a reputation for durability and reliability that cannot be beat. It will truly be a gun that I do not have to give hardly any thought to at all other than to occasionally clean and load it before each trip.
Old April 5, 2008, 03:43 PM   #10
dave421

I'll start by saying that I very much prefer the XD line over Glock. That being said, when it comes to sub compacts, I prefer the Glock. I've had both the XDSC & G26. I found the G26 to be a bit easier to conceal. Oddly, it's the only gun in the Glock line that actually fits my rather large hands. Tucking my pinky under the baseplate on the 26 worked great whereas I always found it dangling on the XDSC. I was more accurate with the XD but the 26 seemed to have lighter recoil.

With all of that said, I carry an XD Service (4") and I'm looking for a Kahr for the times when it's too large (both of the subs were very thick and offered little additional "concealability" over the 4").
Old April 5, 2008, 03:48 PM   #11
pax
Staff

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=110012

Different forum awhile back, but still good info there.

pax
Old April 5, 2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Richard

Is it just me?

I find the Glock 27 to one of the least snappy 40 S&Ws I have shot. I do not see any difference in felt recoil between my G27 and my G23. Regards, Richard
Old April 5, 2008, 07:09 PM   #13
ChicagoTex

Richard,

Perhaps, then, people have issues with the .40 itself being too "snappy". It seems likely that if your experience is typical, a G23 would also be too "snappy".

I never got the chance to shoot the G27 (it was already rented out, that's how I wound up with a G26) but I know the G26 seemed quite a bit milder than even the SIG 239 .40S&W I had been shooting - .40 is surprisingly strong medicine just generally!
Old April 6, 2008, 09:30 AM   #14
Ozzieman

It’s amazing how people feel different about the same gun.
Where “dave421” liked the G26 with large hands with the pinky under the mag. Myself, I found the gun to be unshootable until I got the mag extensions and I also have large hands.
For me the 26 IS one of the best concealable 9mm’s on the market. I like it so much that I have also spent close to $400 on mods to make it a better gun.
Your choices are good guns to own. I would go with the one that fits your hand best.
My only suggestion is try the 26 with the mag extensions. You might like them you might not but in ether case you will be correct.
Old April 6, 2008, 10:21 AM   #15
Joe the Redneck

This is useless,

the only way to know it to shoot the guns and see for yourself.

JTR
Old April 6, 2008, 10:54 AM   #16
Wuchak

The RAMI gives the option of cocked and locked carry which the other two do not. If you do not want to carry cocked and locked you can put the hammer at 1/2 cock but you have to do it manually since the RAMI does not have a decocker. I had a poly RAMI 9mm and sold it. It was a nice pistol and reliable but the trigger bothered me. It not only had endless creep in SA it's the only firearms I have ever fired that gave me a blood blister on my trigger finger. I have fired an XDSC 9 and was very impressed. Recoil wasn't bad, accuracy was good, and I liked the overall feel of the gun. I also liked that it comes with the highcap mag w/grip extension.
Old April 6, 2008, 12:02 PM   #17
Glockeroo

Playboypenguin

Quote:
Also, I wanted something that would give me more than five rounds and that I would not get attached to if it was damaged or stolen in transit on the plane.
Quote:
In the end I just decided that the G26 is easy to shoot, small and light making it super easy to carry and conceal, accurate, and has a reputation for durability and reliability that cannot be beat. It will truly be a gun that I do not have to give hardly any thought to at all other than to occasionally clean and load it before each trip.
When are you going to admit that you love Glocks? Your above first quote is nothing but denial. You are fighting the pull of the darkside. So that comment is sort of a reassurance that you hate Glocks, but love them for what they were designed to do. Stop this nonsense, and just give in to your love for Glocks. We have many converts like you. Some of you were in denial for a long time because you listened to others. You know that Glocks are bad_ss but you just can't let your true feelings takeover. Most Glock converts were just like you; stubborn. Come to us. We'll do nothing but accept you with open arms.
Old April 6, 2008, 12:07 PM   #18
Glockeroo

Quote:
Ozzieman

It’s amazing how people feel different about the same gun.
Where “dave421” liked the G26 with large hands with the pinky under the mag. Myself, I found the gun to be unshootable until I got the mag extensions and I also have large hands.
For me the 26 IS one of the best concealable 9mm’s on the market. I like it so much that I have also spent close to $400 on mods to make it a better gun.
Your choices are good guns to own. I would go with the one that fits your hand best.
My only suggestion is try the 26 with the mag extensions. You might like them you might not but in ether case you will be correct.
If some don't like the mag extensions, they can try the GAP floorplate from www.concealablecontrol.com. I have them on my G26 and love them, and they don't compromise concealability.
Old April 6, 2008, 12:21 PM   #19
Ace_Breaker

My choice would also be the Glock 26. I currently own an XD sub-compact and like it, but I've always been more of a Glock guy. I use to own a Glock 27 and loved it. I did own a Rami and could not get it to function properly. It could not get through 4 or 5 rounds between feeding failures. CZ tried to repair it but it still failed to function correctly despite using different ammo, etc. In the end, CZ offered to attempt at a fix, but would not cover shipping. I dumped it asap and never looked back.
Old April 6, 2008, 01:35 PM   #20
Playboypenguin

Quote:
When are you going to admit that you love Glocks? Your above first quote is nothing but denial.
Glocks suck and only a brain dead goober who is missing a chromosome and has no idea what a good gun is would ever even consider owning one.

See, I am still the evil Glock basher I always was.
Old April 6, 2008, 02:53 PM   #21
ChicagoTex

Please, please...

Why can't we all just... get along?

Think of the Children!
Old April 6, 2008, 03:54 PM   #22
Glockeroo

Quote:
Playboypenguin

Glocks suck and only a brain dead goober who is missing a chromosome and has no idea what a good gun is would ever even consider owning one.

See, I am still the evil Glock basher I always was.
Ahh! See, even you're beginning to come around. Your above post is just one of those last rant and raves before your full conversion. You're almost there. Soon you will be at one with the rest of the Glock brethren.