The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 4, 2008, 09:50 PM   #1
spraynbuckshot

Most concealable revolver in .38/.357?

What is the most concealable new revolver in .38/.357 avalable on the market today? I've been looking at Smiths and Rugers mainly. Not interested in mini revolver like North American Arms. I'm 5'7" and 170 lbs, wearing jeans and tucked in polo/tshirt in spring and cargo shorts and untucked shirt in summer. I don't want to stray away from .38/.357 caliber because I have a 4 inch GP100 already (which is way too big/bulky/heavy for concealment). I kinda like only having to stock up on one caliber if you know what I mean.

Also can you advise me toward a holster/belt to go along with the revolver? I know a good holster is important in concealing.

If you use acronyms, can you write what it means next to it, please? I get lost because I don't know the meanings of have the stuff that is posted

Thank you very much!
Old April 4, 2008, 09:59 PM   #2
AdamSean

I have found that either the S&W 638 or 642 or any S&W J frame are the most concealable revolvers. I would choose either the 638 or the 642 however in an Airweight. The extra lightweight makes more comfortable to conceal in the pocket or IWB. I usually slip it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, but sometimes wear it IWB in an Uncle Mike's size 36. I chose the 638 just in case I needed to take a SA shot, but has a shrouded hammer as not to snag on my clothing.

Old April 4, 2008, 10:10 PM   #3
mavracer

S&W M&P340 its the top one
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 4, 2008, 10:17 PM   #4
karen429

Smith J frame .357 with a "summer special" type holster.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:19 PM   #5
spraynbuckshot

IWB, means I the waist band correct? So it would rest between boxers and denim on a belt, correct ?
Old April 4, 2008, 10:43 PM   #6
mavracer

IWB, means I the waist band correct? So it would rest between boxers and denim on a belt, correct ?yes and yes
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 5, 2008, 12:48 AM   #7
Revelation76

I'm looking for the same thing....

I've been looking at the Ruger SP101 .357 snub nose with a spurless hammer. I hear nothing but good about this gun. Mostly how it and other Rugers are "overbuilt". That's important to me, like only using the old heavier style Kitchenaid pizza cutters before they started getting cheap. Those are almost weapon quality pizza cutters.
I don't own a Ruger right now but I'm sure I will in the next few months. It's the top item on my list. Moderate price and high quality.

Last edited by Revelation76; February 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old April 5, 2008, 02:13 AM   #8
1911Gurl

I have a Ruger SP101 with a 3 inch barrel that I carry. Admittedly my size makes it to where I carry it mostly in my backpack that substitutes for a purse, but when the weather calls for slightly bulkier clothes I have no problems carrying it on my person in an IWB (Inside the waistband) or OWB (Over the waistband) depending on the covering garment. I've tried the lightweight snubs, but the weight of my Ruger doesn't bother me and actually helps get it back on target faster than those smaler guns. I would imagine someone taller should have no problems carrying an SP101 concealed. I hope this helps . Erin
Old April 5, 2008, 04:17 AM   #9
Socrates

Calling a snubbie J frame titanium a .357 is maybe for the .5% of the people in the world that can shoot it.

The 12 oz guns recoil WAY too much with .357, unless you water them down. Also, the 1.8" barrels rob so much velocity, that it's really a .38. Even Plus P loads with 158 grain bullets, and low recoil powders, recoil like .357 loads.

I've run recoil figures for a Model 60, that's a stainless .357, and, for my model 360PD, similar to the above 340PD.

While I haven't run the airweights, a 1/4 increase in weight might make a 25% difference in recoil reaction, and, that would be a large amount. I've resigned myself to shooting 38 special, or light, 125 grain bullets, or both, in my 360PD.

Have a look at this range report for perspective, and information.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...light=Socrates
Old April 5, 2008, 05:16 AM   #10
spraynbuckshot

Thanks for all the replies overnight. I'll be away from my computer until Sunday evening. I'll check back to see if anyone else has posted.
Old April 5, 2008, 05:35 AM   #11
Rob96

I carry a S&W 340PD loaded with 125gr+p Remington Golden Sabers. Awsome little package. Handles very well with the +p loads.
Old April 5, 2008, 06:18 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

As outlined above, Smith & Wesson makes excellent, light weight, easy to carry and conceal and reliable revolvers. My carry is the Smith 637 Airweight. The Airweights are light enough to carry all day but heavy enough that you can shoot .38's all day with beating your hand badly.

Regardless of which gun you end up with, you need two things and that's a good leather gun belt and a good leather holster. Do not cheap out on either of these if you plan on carrying. I prefer a 1.5" belt but a light weight snub should be okay with a 1.25"

As far as holsters, I prefer outside the waistband holsters (OWB) and even with shorts and an untucked t-shirt the gun and holster disappear. I own holsters by Galco, Bianchi and Don Hume. Galco and Bianchi are my two favorite makers with Don Hume a close 3rd. My favorite holster is an Galco Fletch holster with a thumb break. Unless you roll around a lot will carrying, I don't know that you need a thumb break but I prefer the extra retention.

Here are some links. If you find any thing you are interested in, the Packing Heat link has better prices than either the Galco or Bianchi websites.

http://www.donhume.com/index.cfm

http://www.usgalco.com/default.asp

http://bianchi-intl.com/

http://store.packinheatleather.com/index.html

http://thebeltman.net/

Good luck
Old April 5, 2008, 06:21 AM   #13
wnycollector

The smallest .357 that I can shoot accurately AND rapidly is my ruger security six with 2.75" barrel. With a IWB holster it is very concealable, yet large enough to soak up the recoil if full .357 loadings!

For small...I will stick to a j frame .38!
Old April 5, 2008, 08:56 AM   #14
Joe the Redneck

Funny how the world changes.

Back in the old days there was a little company called Colt, they used to have a revolver or two in their line. Course they don't make them anymore.

Last week I bought a used Colt Cobra for 350. Six shots, it even fits in the front pocket of jeans. But jeans are a problem, dockers are better.

Get a Colt, you'll love it.

Joe
Old April 5, 2008, 04:10 PM   #15
bikerbill

I carry a Taurus 617, 7 shots of .357 mag, usually loaded with 100gr PowRBall ... I carry it crossdraw in a paddle holster made for it by Rafter S Gunleather. It weighs about 28oz empty; I'd never try to shoot full power .357s through anything lighter; this one beats my hand up pretty bad after 30-40 rounds; got a blister one day in the web of my hand after two rounds (wasn't paying attention to my grip). Those featherweight .357s may look good on paper, but they hurt!
Old April 5, 2008, 04:17 PM   #16
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I would think that the Smith 340PD would be 'bout the smallest and
lightest package available; weighing only 12 ozs~!
Old April 6, 2008, 07:38 PM   #17
115scott

S&W 640 J frame 357 mag and a Bianchi ankle holster,
Old April 6, 2008, 07:47 PM   #18
spraynbuckshot

J-Frame is definetely has the support here. How do they hold up over time? Can they handle repeated shots of full power loads? I know that I won't want to shoot full power loads because it will hurt. I want to buy a gun that I know that I can give to my grandchildren (I'm 25 now)
Old April 7, 2008, 03:57 PM   #19
Mycle

Most concealable revolver in .38/.357

My Taurua 651 in 357 magnum does the job with the Galco holster. It rides high and tight against the body.

Mycle

Old April 8, 2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Crestliner

I've recently bought an SP101 with a 2" bbl. and I love it! I shoot full load .357 Speer 125 grn. Gold Dots in it and have a world of confidence in this piece. Not sure if I'd care to go much lighter however! At 26 oz. loaded, she's a tad on the heavy side, but recoil is still quite substantial. Accuracy isn't bad either. She's well made, tough, and easily concealable in my Thunderwear holster. Here's what she looks like and how she performs at 7 yards, 2-handed standing position, shooting the Speer's and Cor Bons:

Old April 8, 2008, 02:18 PM   #21
jhansman

S&W's new Nightguard line of snubbies has to be a contender in this category, if you can swing the $$. The frame is scandium, and the model 327 comes in at 27.5 oz!! Not sure who stocks 'em, though....
Old April 8, 2008, 02:57 PM   #22
Wuchak

My usual carry is a Ruger SP101 .357 2 1/4" in a Galco Fletch. It conceals well and is comfortable to shoot all day with my top end magnum loads. It's not the lightest but I think it is the best all around 357 snubbie on the market.

For a lighter weight carry revolver I think the S&W 642 is just about a perfect balance of size/weight/power.

The S&W 340 is a cool novelty gun but for the price I'd rather have a SP101 and S&W 642 combo.
Old April 8, 2008, 02:59 PM   #23
Wildalaska

The correct answer to the OP is J Frame.

All the rest is personal preference.

WildgivetheguyaprizeAlaska TM
Old April 8, 2008, 03:56 PM   #24
spraynbuckshot

For those that own and carry the sp101, do you find that the stock grips are too bulky? Does it print against you shirt?
Old April 8, 2008, 04:16 PM   #25
Wuchak

I bought mine used and it came with the originals and the Hogues. I like the Hogues when shooting .357 but the sticky rubber and 1/2" extra length made them print. I went back to the factory grips. Plenty of cushioning for a normal day of .357 shooting, I can get my pinky on the grip (my hands are on the small end of large), and with the smooth side panels they don't print. I can conceal fine under a large t-shirt. If you are going to carry IWB or OWB the SP101 is hard to beat. If you want to carry in a pocket it is doable with the SP101 but it is on the heavy side. For pocket carry the J frame Smith 38 is the way to go. I like the 642 for this type of carry and it's what I would get for a pocket carry revolver. I got the P-3AT for a pocket gun though.