The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 4, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1
azn505

savage or marlin

I am going to buy a rifle in the next few weeks and have narrowed it down to rifles either savage or marlin xl7 rifle. I was wondering for your input as i am new to hunting and this will be my first hunting rifle. I will be hunting elk and deer in new mexico. I am either going to get the marlin which biggest caliber is 30-06 or a savage rifle. If i choose savage i will probably get 300 win. The new marlin prices at around 325 with a similiar accutrigger as the savages. I just dont think i can get a savage in 300 win with accutrigger for that price its hard to beat and the reviews have looked good on the new marlin rifle. heres the review link. I already bought my scope which is a 4x12x40 browning which i purchased for 190 which i thought was a good deal

http://www.gunblast.com/Marlin-XL7.htm
Old April 4, 2008, 09:39 PM   #2
TPAW

They are both good rifles. I don't think you would make a mistake by buying either one. Shoulder both and see what feels best. Then make a choice.
Old April 4, 2008, 09:41 PM   #3
jsr76

The new Marlin rifle is a total Savage rip-off. By that I mean EVERY feature on that rifle is Savage. Pull out the bolts and lookat them. There are only very minimal differences in the triggers with the Savage technology being better. Example? Savage has a 6 ounce target model. And the Marlin isn't free floated on the barrel which I would most likely quickly change. With that being said. It is a very good rifle in the reports. It ought to be, the line it is built after is as well. I would say to buy whichever one you want, they are almost identical. One recommendation. If you are new, buy the 30-06. It will do it all. The big magnum will too, but it isn't fun to practice with, and you need to enjoy practice. Accuracy trumps power, as long as you have enough power, and the 30-06 does.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:22 PM   #4
azn505

With the marlin not being free floated does that effect the accuracy of the rifle. If it doenst really effect accuracy i am leanign towrds the marlin cause its more than 100 cheaper than a savage with accutrigger
Old April 4, 2008, 10:34 PM   #5
jsr76

Yes it does. It will have a smaller window of preference. A free floating barrel likes a wider assortment of loads. Each has it's own favorite though. Over time, Savage will win out.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:48 PM   #6
azn505

oh ok i see what your talking about. casue its not free floated it wont like a variety of bullets that the savage would. I was going to buy federal 180 grain np bullets heard they were the best about $40 a box though. I guess i will have to buy several differnt loads if i go with the marlin.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:54 PM   #7
jsr76

You may have to buy several anyway. It's just that the accuracy potential is greater when free floated.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:59 PM   #8
azn505

Cool thanks for the info i'm just on a budget. the set up i will have will most likely then be the marlin xl7 synthetic stock with browning 4x12x40 the set up will be about 500 for scope and rifle so i guess i'll have to buy a few differnt loads and get to the outdoor range in town. Is it true price of hte ammo donest really mean better accuracy.
Old April 5, 2008, 12:58 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...I'm just on a budget..." You're not alone. Don't be afraid to buy a used, scoped .30-06 hunting rifle. It takes a great deal of abuse to damage a modern hunting rifle. You'll very likely be able to find one, in your local gun shop, for less money than a new Savage Package rifle. The make of the rifle doesn't matter a whole bunch though. Savage rifles are the best bang for your buck. The out-of-the-box accuracy is outstanding. A used .30-06 Savage will do nicely.
Savage makes .30-06 rifles too. The felt recoil of a .300 mag is stout to say the least and there's no game in North America that a .30-06(or .308 Win) won't kill with no fuss. You'll have to sight in off a bench, whatever you buy. A .30-06 hurts less and is far more versatile than a .300 mag. The .30-06 loves 165 grain hunting bullets.
"...price of the ammo doesn't really mean better accuracy..." Absolutely. Accuracy depends entirely on how well the rifle likes any ammo brand and bullet weight. Since you're not reloading, yet, you have to have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best.
Don't worry about a free floated barrel. Some rifles shoot better with 'em, some don't. Free floating isn't a guarantee of accuracy. Ruger rifles, for example, tend to dislike a floated barrel. Other makes can go either way. The only way to find out if a particular rifle likes it or not is to try it.
I'd suggest you get a rifle and do some shooting before you worry about a floated barrel.
A 4X-12x-40x is too much magification and weight for deer and elk. 3x-9X or 2.5X-8X with a 40 mm front lens is plenty.
Old April 5, 2008, 06:37 AM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Savage makes outstanding rifles. I've got a 7mm Rem Mag that is a great shooter. For the extra money, I'd go Savage. However, Marlin is a good name and a respected maker. I don't think you can go wrong with either but Savage's reputation for accuracy is well deserved.
Old April 5, 2008, 07:11 AM   #11
Picher

I wouldn't let a small pressure pad in the barrel channel stop me from buying a rifle I like. Ten minutes with a dowel and sandpaper will take that baby out of there. If it's a wood stock, re-seal the wood after removing the pad with varnish, shellac, or even paste wax.

If it's a synthetic, try shooting it before removing the pad. Some shoot better groups with the pad, but may be a bit more sensitive to different rests/holds/sling pressure. The pad also makes the rifle less sensitive to different loads by reducing barrel vibrations.

Picher