The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 2, 2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Strauss

Handguard removal on Bushy M4?

I ordered myself a new railed handguard for my Bushmaster M4 carbine. Currently, I have the stock set-up. I believe the unit I ordered is a 2-piece design, as I read that was the style I needed as my FSB is pinned in place. I also ordered the handguard removal tool with it as well. My stuff will be here tommorrow and was looking into it ahead of time to see what I am getting into. Is there any links out there on how to get the old one off?? I have heard that it's not that hard with the tool I ordered....thanks everyone!
Old April 2, 2008, 11:26 PM   #2
vzenmn

Here is what I did.

Make sure rifle is unloaded.

Put the butt on the ground.

Reach down and grab the delta ring with one hand one of the hand gaurd halves with the other.

Push down on the delta ring with all your might and pull slightly on the hand gaurd half.

Scream, cuss, and moan for about 30 minutes until the handgaurd finely decides to come off.

Then repeat on the other hand gaurd.

It was much easier the second time though. As you can tell I'm too cheap to get the right tools.
Old April 2, 2008, 11:40 PM   #3
DIXIEDOG

With the handguard removal tool you just remove the magazine and place the tools "hook" in the magazine well, then push down on the handguard tool to compress the spring in your delta ring, at this point you just pull out on your 1/2 of a handguard and it will pull right out and then you do the same to the other half.
Old April 3, 2008, 07:32 AM   #4
TheManHimself

Doing it with the tool is easy, just hook it in the magwell and push the delta ring down, handguards slip right off. Doing it without the tool requires either the strength of the gods or three arms, whichever is easier to get hold of. Apparently AR handguards where designed to promote use of the buddy system.
Old April 3, 2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Strauss

Thanks guys...just wanted to double check!