The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 19, 2008, 06:50 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Best all around shot shell for hunting.

I am looking for the best shotgun shells I can use for survival hunting scenarios.

What shot shell would be best for hunting all of the following:

Turkey, Rabit, birds, ducks, squirels, raccoons and possums. These are the only small game that are in my area.

I was thinking either BB shot or #2 shot.

What do you recomend?

George Orwell
Old March 19, 2008, 07:38 AM   #2
johnbt

#6 high brass works for everything up to and including turkey. I'd use #5 or #4 too if that was all I had, but it isn't necessary, except maybe on long-range ducks.

John
Old March 19, 2008, 08:00 AM   #3
mikenbarb

I would definately stick with #4,5 or 6 copperplated shot. All 3 are good for small game hunting purposes. The #4 shot would be best because it has a larger pellet with more range and knockdown power than #6's. I would also keep a couple loads of #4 buckshot with them for larger game if I got really hungry. Make shure you check your local game codes to see If its legal to carry buckshot and birdshot at the same time. A lot of states dont let you carry both at the same time during specific hunting seasons. Definately go with a shot that doesnt rust like steel shot
Old March 19, 2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Super-Dave

In a survival hunting scenario, I dont think I would care about local hunting laws. In fact game wardens could even be on the menu.

So over all #2 shot is not a good choice?

George Orwell
Old March 19, 2008, 10:27 AM   #5
zoomie

#2 would definitely kill whatever you're after. You just might not have much left to eat afterwards.
Old March 19, 2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Barber2678

5 or 6 shot. Should give you the best patterns and good range.
Old March 19, 2008, 11:16 AM   #7
.45 COLT

If I was restricted to only one load, 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 - 5 (lead shot) would be my choice for all-around use. But why stock only one?

DC
Old March 19, 2008, 01:26 PM   #8
johnbt

The pattern starts getting pretty thin when you get down to #2 shot - only 90 pellets per ounce compared to 225 for #6. BB is only 50 per oz.

It looks like a lot when you're counting holes in a paper target, but pellets string out over many feet and leave lots of holes in the pattern when shooting at live game.

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/huntin...gunpellets.htm
Old March 19, 2008, 05:18 PM   #9
rem870hunter

ducks no larger than #2. turkey #4,#5 or #6. everything else on the list #6 or#7.5. all high brass.
Old March 19, 2008, 05:46 PM   #10
jdc48160

#4 heavy load.

It's what I use for turkey. It throws a nice pattern with my Carlson's turkey tube, and also shoots nice with IC choke in for a wider pattern.
Old March 19, 2008, 07:51 PM   #11
mikenbarb

It depends on your survival situation. I wouldnt want to get caught packing buckshot while I was grouse hunting and try to explain to a warden that I was carrying it just in case I got lost and needed them to survive and eat. I think thats a major problem waiting to happen, and possibly a firearm and vehicle confiscation for jacking deer in the state I live in. If it were a situation of where someone was out on a wilderness pack trip then I think that would be differant scenario with the authorities. I would check with your local fish and game division to see whats legal. If not, it could cause you alot of problems and money.
Old March 19, 2008, 09:22 PM   #12
Ruger4570

Why try for a "one size fits all" we all know that doesn't work. For the price of a box of shells, for heavens sake, get the ones that match your game and don't try to get one to fit every situation. You will be the one that comes up short.