The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 18, 2008, 07:41 PM   #1
JMBROWN6

Beretta 301 for Hunting Deer?

I have to opportunity to purchase a Beretta 301 semi auto shotgun (full choke). I wanted to know if it is suitable for deer hunting. I have a Winchester that I use regularly, but some of the land we want to hunt is shot gun only. Can anyone provide some incite?
Old March 18, 2008, 10:18 PM   #2
mikenbarb

With buckshot your good out to where your gun groups well. And if you throw a slug barrel on it then your talking within the same effect as a .35 rem. My Remington 1100 with a Badger cantilever rifled barrel topped off with a 3-9x40 Nikon Monarc shoots 5 1/4" groups @ 150 yds with Hornady SST slugs. They leave the barrel at 2000 fps. and sighted in at 2.7" high @ 100yds., Its dead on at 150 yds. and -6.7"@ 200yds. And it knocks them over like a sledgehammer! Another killer slug is the Remington Buckhammer. My gun shoots them well out to 125 yds. And the good thing about the Buckhammer is that their full sized lead slugs that dont use a plastic sabot around them. If you want to go cheaper, Get a saddle scope mount and use an imp cyl choke tube and toss Federal Tru ball slugs thru it. It should be good out to 100 yds.+- Some shotgun slugs get around 3000 ft.lb.energy and that alot of punch for a hunk of lead.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Doyle

The problem with a full choke and buckshot is that it will frequently give you a wider pattern than with a modified choke. It compresses the shot together too much as it goes through the choke and the balls rebound off each other and start to spread sooner. If you really want to hunt with that shotgun, you might be better off looking for a spare barrel.
Old March 19, 2008, 07:38 PM   #4
mikenbarb

The best bet for buckshot thru a full choke is copperplated buffered #4 buck and you shouldnt have a problem. I have killed deer out to 60 yds with 3" mag copperplated buffered magnums and get about 10 pellets in them. Try out a few different types to see what happens. Different guns like different loads. Ammo makers recommend a full choke for all buckshot loads but I tend to like a improved modified for the larger types.(#0 and up)
Old March 19, 2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Ruger4570

The Berreta is a FINE gun. As far as the buckshot, well, it depends on where you are located, it is Illegal in NY. The full choke is supposedly not the best for slugs, that said, try a couple of different brands, more than likely one brand or another will give you acceptable accuracy in your gun. At least minute of deer.