The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2008, 05:24 PM   #1
oldbillthundercheif

Broken AGP Magazines (Saiga 12)

I went to the range with my Russian beast today and three of my six 10-round AGP magazines broke off at the front lip.

All broke while firing heavy 3" loads (1.25oz slugs, 15-pellet 00) and all broke on the first few shots while there were still a bunch of very heavy shells in the mag...

I have not heard anything about ammunition restrictions for these mags, but I think the results speak for themselves. I guess they can't hack monsterous recoil while carrying a heavy load. Two of the broken mags had hundreds of rounds through them before failure, but one was brand new.

I'm sure AGP will make it right, but it's 2.75" shells for my big American-made mags from now on. That stinks, as one of the reasons I like the Saiga 12 so much is you can shoot 3" shells without decreasing your magazine capacity...

Anyone else have this happen with their AGP magazines?
Old March 16, 2008, 10:03 PM   #2
oldbillthundercheif

I just got an e-mail from AGP and they are shipping me three new mag bodies tomorrow. Nice folks.

They did mention the immense amount of force that a long, heavily loaded magazine of this type is under during the extra-heavy recoil of a 3" 1.25oz slug discharge. I guess I'll just have to stuff those in my short rooski mags and stick with the el-cheapo S&B 2.75" 12-pellet 00 loads that my Saiga loves so much in the long magazines.

The one that broke immediately was likely from a bad batch that they were not able to catch. The other two that took more punishment... maybe so, maybe not.

If it happens again, I'll be sure to let y'all know.
Old March 17, 2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Csspecs

I was wondering how they would hold up using 3 inch shells.

keepshooting.com has new 5 rounders for 20.00 each if you buy more than 3, just a thought if you needed more mags for cheap (no they are not US made).