The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 15, 2008, 07:16 AM   #1
38snapcaps

S&W Model 36 price

Could someone advise me on what a fair price would be for a -2? SSN J98XXXX They want $270.

The blueing is excellent except for a slight nick behind the front sight and there is a small rust spot on the back of the frame.

Mechanically it's excellent, appears to have been fired very little. Someone traded it in at a store where a friend of mine works. He showed it to me last night and it won't be put out until later today.

Should I grab it?

When were -2's produced? I was going to call S&W but they're closed on Saturday.

Thanks much.

Last edited by 38snapcaps; March 15, 2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old March 15, 2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Creature

How much are they asking for it?
Old March 15, 2008, 07:58 AM   #3
kamerer

J frames didn't have revision numbers until the late 80s (except the 36-1, which was a heavy barrel model, not a change to the "no dash"). The 36-2 started in 88. Don't know when they changed that. A S/N is the way to date it more precisely, but it's 88 to mid 90s, likely.

The rust on the strap is a bummer, that really is hard to fix and otherwise dings a good gun. Do check a few things about it - pull off the grips and see if there is more rust under the grip panels. look carefully at the edge of the trigger and hammer and sees if there's oxidation to the case coloring (I think those were case colored still on that run) - if so, you can suspect more rust inside - not good. Best is if you can remove the sideplate and visually inspect or if they know how to do that for you (it take a slight art here - you don't pry it off, you vibrate it off).

If the rust on the back strap is all there is, I'd say I'd pay maybe $300. Without that, if it were really clean, then $375 or more could be a fair price. This also assumes it has the original grips and not cheap rubber ones.
Old March 15, 2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Creature

I would agree with that price, kamerer.

btw: I have seen some cold blueing spot refinishing repairs that were absolutely perfect, so dont despair!
Old March 15, 2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Hammer It

Quote:
Could someone advise me on what a fair price would be for a -2? SSN J98XXXX They want $270.
Hello
That is Dirt Cheap for a model 36. In my area they are averaging $350.00-$550.00 depending on condition. It sounds as though this one is in super nice condition considering it's age. Jump on it and never look back... Hammer It
Old March 15, 2008, 11:41 AM   #6
elrod

If it were available to me @ $270, I'd grab it!
Old March 15, 2008, 09:34 PM   #7
kamerer

At that price, take it. Or give me their number - that's worth the hassle of dealing with the rust.

No, really, if it's a small spot, there are various ways to deal with it and stop it from getting worse. But take my number if you dont' want to...
Old March 15, 2008, 11:47 PM   #8
chris in va

My 1952 model 36 also has that surface rust area. Doesn't bother me, great little gun. I say go for it at that price!