The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 10, 2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Robert J McElwain

Ruger LCP

So, now that they're shipping, does anyone have any range reports on their new Ruger LCP pocket gun?

I got to fondle one this weekend, but the guy next to me bought it right from under my nose. And it was the only one the dealer had. My only impression was that the slide stop is not very exciting, given that it's not automatic. However, that won't stop me from buying one as soon as the dealers get a supply in.

So who has one, and how to you like it?

Bob

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson
Old March 10, 2008, 04:41 PM   #2
CDFT

I haven't handled it, but several reports are up already. The video from Down Range Ruger has on the LCP's page on their site seems fairly representative, as I've read a report given its own page on somebody's site (one person said it read like a LCP infomercial ) and a report or two from forumers on GlockTalk, and they're all positive about it.

Basically, they all talk about the LCP like the people with favorable dispositions to the P-3AT talk about it. No jams, etc... (Actually, some ammo brands had problems.) Happy times for all. Generally positive all around.

Forumite #1
Forumite #2

Wish I could find the "infomercial" but I can't find where the link was at...
Old March 11, 2008, 01:17 PM   #3
JesusQueen

I was just at the local shop to check one out. They only had a show piece to hold...listing it at 299.99 and they have no clue when they will be available. The waiting list was 30+ deep. All that aside. the pistol felt awesome in the hand.. cant wait to see how it fires. B
Old March 11, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
The Lovemaster

I have one, and it's great. It kicks like a son of a gun, not surprising given its diminutive weight. It doesn't like Win XTP ammo, it jammed on me with one round that then had the telltale half moon smile on the bullet.

I've been carrying it in a Desantis Nemesis holster, it works great. I often forget it's there. For what it is, a pocket pistol obviously, the LCP is great and a step up from the KT. I do however have to try other factory ammo for my carry loads. I'm thinking Buffalo Bore after reading one review.

I didn't fire much (maybe 6-7 rounds) but that's because I'm waiting for my 380 dies to come in at my LGS. I hate buying factory ammo, and 380 is overpriced, so I'm going to work up a bunch of reloads.

Sorry if this isn't very informative.
Old March 11, 2008, 03:27 PM   #5
DPris

Keep in mind the LCP is not meant to be fired a lot.
It's not intended to be a range toy & won't stand up to high mileage.
You may want to reconsider handloading for it if you're planning to use it as a range gun.
Denis
Old March 11, 2008, 08:43 PM   #6
ice monkey

Google Gun Blast, and Down Range T.V. - Both have reveiws worth reading/viewing.

Old March 11, 2008, 09:16 PM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
You may want to reconsider handloading for it if you're planning to use it as a range gun.
What is that supposed to mean?

Why would I not want to use reloads in this pistol?
Old March 11, 2008, 09:21 PM   #8
Anchorage

Quote:
I've been carrying it in a Desantis Nemesis holster, it works great. I often forget it's there. For what it is, a pocket pistol obviously, the LCP is great and a step up from the KT. I do however have to try other factory ammo for my carry loads. I'm thinking Buffalo Bore after reading one review.
I have a nemisis holster for the P32, is it the same one you are using for LCP? does it fit good ?
Old March 11, 2008, 10:32 PM   #9
DPris

Un,
Missed the point. My fault for not stating it more clearly.
Nothing wrong with reloads, what I was trying to do was address the poster who was apparently intending to reload for the pistol, implying he might be intending to use it as a range gun & shoot it a bunch.
As stated, it's not built to be a high-mileage gun.
Denis
Old March 13, 2008, 07:55 PM   #10
Bill Bryant

"It kicks like a son of a gun"

I'd like to hear more about this.
Old March 13, 2008, 08:06 PM   #11
Boris Bush

Why would someone carry a pistol after firing 6-7 rounds? Not only that, but carry it when it jammed during that brief "test" period?!

I put 200 rounds down range from my P32 before it went into a pocket holster and in my right pocket. 200 trouble free rounds from the start.

Old March 13, 2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Robert J McElwain

Quote:

I'd like to hear more about this.
This is not surprising. I carry the P3AT, which is the first cousin to the LCP, which I'll be buying shortly. The P3AT weighs just slightly more than the weight of the fully loaded magazine that feeds it. As a consequence, there is no gun weight to absorb any of the recoil. So your hand does all the absorbing. I'm sure there is a mathematical formula to explain this.

I've got several guns, and the P3AT is definitely not my favorite one to shoot. However, it's the only one that I can conceal in a bathing suit or a pair of shorts. And that's better than the one I'd leave at home.

Bob

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson
Old March 13, 2008, 09:21 PM   #13
Unregistered

Quote:

I'd like to hear more about this
I have shot a lot out of the P3AT, which is the same size gun. Unless the LCP is dramatically different, the recoil is not that bad.

I would be embarassed to publicly state that any 380 kicks like a son of a gun.
Old March 13, 2008, 10:51 PM   #14
KyJim

Quote:
I would be embarassed to publicly state that any 380 kicks like a son of a gun.
Most .380s use a straight blowback design which transfers more energy to the shooter. I have a Beretta .25 acp which kicks more than my 9mms because of this and it's light weight. Caliber is not everything when it comes to felt recoil.
Old March 13, 2008, 11:02 PM   #15
Unregistered

Quote:
I have a Beretta .25 acp which kicks more than my 9mms
I understand a blowback operated firearm recoils more. I don't think blowback 32's and 380's recoil more than a 9mm, and even if they do, 9mm is a pretty wimpy amount of recoil to be complaining about.
Old March 13, 2008, 11:42 PM   #16
Boris Bush

The Kel-tecs and LCPs are not blowback designs. They fire from a locked breach. That is why they can make them so light.