The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Uncle Ben

Another transfer question...

After some of the previous info I got from you all on this forum, I thought I had this figured out...but after talking to a friend here in CA, I'm not so sure. On to the question:

In most states (even in California), you are not required to register shotguns, or long guns in general. If a family member is giving you a long gun and they DO NOT have it registered, why go through any type of transfer at all (other than from his hands to mine :-)???

Is there still a legal requirement to do a proper transfer?

If the answer to the above question is "no", then what if the "giver" is out of state (still family) and the gun will fly along with him in checked bagage. Again, an FFL would not be needed, so would I still have to do a legal transfer for an already un-registered long gun?

By the way, I have read the CA law, but maybe not good enough cause I don't see my answers in there...

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Last edited by Uncle Ben; March 10, 2008 at 01:53 PM.