The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 25, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
clubtc05

Pistol or Revolver

hey guys on the post where people posted there pics of guns...I think ives seen more revolvers than pistols..why is that.... just curious why more people like revolvers over pistols. If this is a stupid question excuse me...im pretty new to firearms,etc..
Old February 25, 2008, 04:54 PM   #2
PointOneSeven

If the pistol wall / case at the local shops are any indication, I think people are more into the semi-autos than the revolvers. Both can be very easy on the eyes and functional at the same time.

But semiautos also have a tendancy to be black plastic these days. Not bagging on them, my next pistol is going to be a Glock 17 or 19. Not as photogenic though when it comes to the beauty contest.
Old February 25, 2008, 04:59 PM   #3
clubtc05

see i was thinking about getting a revolver for my first gun ever but then i thought it would be better off the get a pistol because of the capacity of ammo it holds but like the Raging Bull from Taurus looks BADASS!!!
Old February 25, 2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Elvishead

At the range, I see mostly semi's. The .357 with full loads usually wakes'em up.
Old February 25, 2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Johnc

As far as personal ownership goes, my ratio of semi auto's to revolvers is 5:1

Five semi auto's to one revolver that is.
Old February 25, 2008, 06:40 PM   #6
copenhagen

Revolvers = Reliability & Accuracy

Semi-Autos = High Capacity

Not saying semi's can't be reliable or accurate. Just saying as a rule, the more moving parts there are, the more chance there is of a malfunction, and the more likelyhood of a reduction in accuracy.

I own both. I keep a revolver in my night stand because I know if a round doesn't go off I can pull the trigger again for another round. In my opinion, semi-auto's are fun, but the time it takes for immediate action could potentially negate the extra capacity for some shooters.
Old February 25, 2008, 06:48 PM   #7
NGIB

Quote:
see i was thinking about getting a revolver for my first gun ever but then i thought it would be better off the get a pistol because of the capacity of ammo it holds but like the Raging Bull from Taurus looks BADASS!!!
Are you old enough to own a gun?

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old February 25, 2008, 07:03 PM   #8
clubtc05

Yes 21...but copenhagen THANKS for the information i didnt know know that. I knew revolvers are easier to clean but didnt know how better the Accuracy is to
Old February 25, 2008, 07:30 PM   #9
Webleymkv

It seems to me that autos are more popular than revolvers these days. That's fine with me because I wouldn't have wanted someone else to buy these before I dd.

Old February 25, 2008, 07:33 PM   #10
drail

Weblymkv, you are a man of wealth and taste.
Old February 25, 2008, 07:39 PM   #11
Bellevance

Why a revolver?

For a rich collection of thoughtful and various answers to this question, check out this thread over on The High Road forum:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=339097
Old February 25, 2008, 07:40 PM   #12
clubtc05

i was searching too and i found this http://chris.cc/rva.htm
Old February 25, 2008, 07:40 PM   #13
Webleymkv

Quote:
Weblymkv, you are a man of wealth and taste.
Taste, yes. Wealth, yeah right I've got less than $2k in all the revolvers pictured put together.
Old February 25, 2008, 07:55 PM   #14
VinnyT

I like my semi's for capacity & CCW. My revolvers are too large for CCW. A S&W Model 29 .44 mag, 8 3/8" barrel and a Taurus Raging Bull in 500 with the 10" barrel. I'm a 1911 fan, but also like the new M&P's.

It's all what floats your boat IMO.
Old February 25, 2008, 08:04 PM   #15
FerFAL

Truth is that today’s service autos are very reliable, more rugged and abuse resistant than revolvers and offer 3x the firepower.
Stopping power? 45 ACP, .40 or 357 SIG are among the best stoppers out there.
Novel shooters soon notice that they shoot faster and more accurately with autos.
Revolvers are carried by many because they are more comfortable, you just drop the airwight snubby in your pocket and that’s it.
But in my personal opinion, its a way of slacking down, giving up tactical advantages for comfort. I’ve been guilty on occasions but at least I know the difference.
Still, my S&W 629, my S&W 1905 Hand Ejector, S&W 12 Airweight, Colt Detective and Colt Police Positive are going nowhere.
FerFAL
Old February 25, 2008, 08:10 PM   #16
b.thomas

After close to forty years owning a handgun I finally broke down and bought a center fire, i went with a 9mm auto mostly because ammo so much cheaper.
I don't carry and for home protection I'd use my first choice in a firearm.....a good old 12 gauge.
now if all ammo prices were equal I'd have either a ruger single action or nice S&W k-frame .357, no mag to worry about and if you get a miss-fire just pull the trigger, the cylinder turns and wa-la new shell!
Old February 25, 2008, 08:38 PM   #17
blume357

I think for your first or possibly only gun a high quality double action

revolver would be better. 357mag with something like a 4" barrel is the way to go... then practice with 38specials.
Old February 25, 2008, 08:42 PM   #18
Bellevance

For more good, apt thoughts on this topic (wheelgun or bottom feeder?), see this recent thread over on the S&W forum:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/for...4/m/7391007382
Old February 25, 2008, 10:16 PM   #19
Dave85

Quote:
hey guys on the post where people posted there pics of guns...I think ives seen more revolvers than pistols..why is that....
I think this is the heart of your curiosity; the conclusion based on the number of revolvers vs. autos you see in that thread means more out here like revolvers. You would have to count how many of either in that thread (I ain't gonna), and see if there are indeed more revolvers, as sometimes our perception can be deviously selective. That is, we see what we are looking for.

If there are more wheelguns, it might be that a lot of people own both, but just think their revolvers are prettier.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:39 PM   #20
easyG

Quote:
hey guys on the post where people posted there pics of guns...I think ives seen more revolvers than pistols..why is that....
Because while the revolver guys are spending their time taking pictures of their nice pretty revolvers, the auto guys are out at the range actually shooting.
Old February 26, 2008, 12:46 AM   #21
spencer5650

Everyone knows Revolvers are just purtier (is that a word?)
Old February 26, 2008, 01:04 AM   #22
diesel83

I go both ways

A 9MM (147 grain hollowpoints that is) on the hip and a .357 snub clamped on the ankle has me ready for the dance.
Old February 26, 2008, 10:24 AM   #23
carguychris

Quote:
Because while the revolver guys are spending their time taking pictures of their nice pretty revolvers, the auto guys are out at the range actually shooting.
Although this isn't a 100% accurate statement, it has a grain of truth...

In general, "wheelgun guys" (of which I am one) are more likely to be collectors than semi-auto fans, and are more likely to buy a gun merely because it's a rare model, has a rare combination of features, or just because it's pretty. Revolvers have been around longer than semi-autos and have typically been made in a wider variety of configurations (just look at a S&W catalog! ), so there's a greater variety to collect.

Revolver collectors like to share their enthusiasm with others, hence the pictures.

This is not to say that wheelgun guys don't shoot... quite the contrary. However, many of them differentiate between the "safe queens" and the "shooters", often owning more than one of a particular model so the nicer one can stay in the safe.
Old February 26, 2008, 10:46 AM   #24
clubtc05

see me i think ill get a revolver later but i want my first gun to be a pistol hopefully a ruger SR9 then later on i think ill get a taurus raging bull i really like that revolver
Old February 26, 2008, 11:48 AM   #25
Jkwas

As far as cleaning goes, I beg to differ. It takes much longer to clean my revolvers than my autos. Powder blast from the cylinder gap dirties up the gun pretty good around the forcing cone, not to mention cleaning all the chambers and the front of the cylinder. Most of the time I just need to run a boresnake thru my autos, brush the breach area, and wipe them down. Big difference. I do enjoy shooting both and like revolvers better. I am forced to give in to the auto for it's greater capacity when it comes to ccw.