The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2008, 11:31 PM   #1
teesh

questions about mossy 500 SP model 50411

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813504119.html
Is $300 about right? I'm having a hard time finding one as it is so actually this is the only price I've found locally.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813514828.html
Another question: If I was to get the model 500 "3 in 1" hunting and HD model, the "Davidson's Exclusive", can that ugly front fore end stock piece be replaced with one like the 500 SP has on it and still function fine? And is it easily done?

Also, the recoil pads on these 2 shotguns appear different in pictures I've seen. Are they? If so, which is the better recoil pad?

I want to buy one ASAP. But want the one with the short mag tube so that I can purchase other barrels if desired.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by teesh; February 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: title change
Old February 23, 2008, 11:49 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For what it is worth... I think that forestock is the same mounting requirements as the neat little one. What the "ugly one does is make it more use-able for shorter reach folks. It just has a portion that comes further rear ward. Meaning you would not be forced to reach as far forward to use it... (I hope I made sense). As for opinion I would have to admit I spent many years with the pistol grip on my gun and now that I have the full rear stock I see that it not only is not a detriment to HD the full stock is a viable piece of equipment on my HD weapon... I had to suffer a left arm injury to give the full stock a try and now cannot believe I ever thought the pistol grip the "best" option. I have the 18.5 inch barrel. I added maneuverability, and a couple holding positions to my capacity. The gun is less able to be forcibly removed from my grasp as well...
IMHO I would look for a ccombo without the pistol grip if it will save you money...
Otherwise that combo is a "killer deal" (pun intended) for all around shotgun purchase...
Brent
Old February 24, 2008, 12:02 AM   #3
teesh

Yes, I agree, the pistol grip will never get used by me.

Do you know where you could purchase the SP-style fore end piece? I hear that there are lots of different Mossy accessories but I haven't found any? The one I linked to doesn't have much from what I can tell.

Thanks for the reply hotdog.
Old February 24, 2008, 12:19 AM   #4
Smitty in CT

Buds has them for $295, INCLUDING shipping....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/46276

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old February 24, 2008, 12:37 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would look at the 500 "tactical".the cruiser is pistol grip. the breecher end is called "image enhancer" (pecker extender for the slighted male?) or the persuader #50411 the "tactical" is #50420 look at the mossberg site to see these... here is the field/security combo for less $ than you found and it has WOOD stocks...
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=84708
Brent
Old February 24, 2008, 06:48 AM   #6
plateshooter

The stocks and recoil pads are different. The security version (Maverick or Mossberg) has a longer stock and recoil pad. The std Mossberg stock is shorter. I have replaced the stock on my Maverick 88 Security with an extra one from my 835 Ulti Mag as it is a bit shorter and fits me better. The pads on the stocks are not interchangeable with each other as the Security versions pad is longer as well.
Old February 24, 2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Rob96

I just recently bought the 8 shot model with 20" barrel for $229 NIB. One of the local gun shops runs weekend specials of 15% off new shotguns paid in full. Regular sticker on it was $269.