The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 15, 2000, 07:25 PM   #1
desmond57

Does anyone know where I can find a chart that shows the differences between the many different types of handgun ammo?
For example: What is the different in width and length between a 38 special & 9mm rounds?
And then I am now hearing about the different types of 9mm bullets?
I just put down a deposit on a Ruger Blackhawk .357 with a 9mm Parabellum cylinder to shoot 9mm rounds. I didn't even know you could do that?

A web site or spreadsheet with statistical info on each general bullet type would be great. If anyone knows a link please post it. Thanks - Desmond
Old January 16, 2000, 01:43 AM   #2
Bud Helms
Staff

Closest thing to a chart I've ever seen is the front matter in the Hodgdon Reloading Manual. They're all in one place.

Check any reloading manual.
Old January 16, 2000, 08:27 AM   #3
desmond57

Unfortunately sensop, I don't reload. So I'm back to square 1. But your point is well taken. If I don't find anything off the web then next stop at the bookstore / gunshop I will be seeing what they have listed there.

Actually I need to call Ruger about a problem with my Mark II, so I will ask then how they manage to shoot 9mm thru a .357 while I'm at it.
Old January 16, 2000, 12:48 PM   #4
Chad Young

Your best info on bullet diameters and case lengths, etc., can be found in most reloading manuals,which typically can be had for less than $20. Another thing you can do is download reloading manuals on the Internet from powder suppliers. Winchester has reload data on their web site in PDF format.

As for the 9mm/.357 reference - the explanation may simple.

Actual 9mm bullet diameter - .355 inches
Actual .357 magnum/.38 special diameter - .357 inches.

As you can see, very close. In fact, there was a pistol introduced about two years ago that could shoot .380auto, 9mm, .38 special, and .357 magnum all from the same gun. Problem was, it was expensive and never quite made it to market.

Old January 16, 2000, 01:54 PM   #5
12-34hom

Try Shawn Dodsons tactical site. He has posted on TFL and his addy is around here somewhere.
Old January 23, 2000, 05:05 PM   #6
desmond57

Well I finally got the answer to my question:
The web site: http://www.calweb.com/~haas/ammoguide/
Has a program (freeware) called ammoguide. It gives exact sizes and history/descriptions of each type of catridge.
To give credit where credit is due it is apparently created by a Mike Haas and has answered any questions I had on the 9mm/38 spec/357 mag combo. The Factory Ammo web sites (Federal/Winchester/etc, etc) all had reload manuals but none of them listed bullet dimensions. I was surprised to find that to be the case but I guess it is not needed for accurate reloads.