The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 21, 2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Sundance

Disposable Handgun

I have plenty of handguns. I prefer Colt 1911s, Browning HPs, S&W DA Revolvers, and Ruger SA and DA Revolvers. But there is not a single one of my guns that I could stand to lose. If one of my guns was lost or stolen, I would be very mad and very sad. Some of them are not replaceable at any cost, because they are no longer made. So I am in the market for a disposable gun. One that other than being out the money, wouldn't really bother me sentimentally if it was lost or stolen. One that I could leave in my car when I drive somewhere and I can't take my gun in. One that I could take with me when I fly. Of course I would want it to be as inexpensive as possible while still being extremely durable, reliable, and accurate. I would also want it to use a very common, widely available cartridge. I am thinking a Glock 19. Your thoughts?
Old February 21, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Beretta686

I personally bought for $200, an XD9 off a budy of mine that he put +20K rounds through it, refinished the slide, got a new 16-rd mag and it sits in my car as my "disposable" gun.

I'd look at a gunshow for a beat up but serviceable name-brand pistol (Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc) get it cheap and your good to go. I recall seeing somewhere PD trade in Sig 225s for $250 or so. I've also seen a few DAO Beretta 96s on gunbroker pretty cheap ($250 range). Or you could always get a cheapo wheel-gun like a Commanche or Rossi, since it looks like this won't be shot much.

Oh and if you want a REAL disposable gun, I'd look into High-points, even though they are the ghetto-ist looking gun I've ever seen. I'd personally never own one, but I've shot them and actually kind of liked it.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 21, 2008, 04:29 PM   #3
higgy1911

I think the Glock 19 or even a 17 is an excellent choice for what you are looking for.
I got my Glcok 19 for 350, it was a police trade-in.

For the role you are talking about I prefer well worn S&W revolvers. Maybe an model 10 or 64, whatever barrel length you prefer. I think the advantage of revolvers is that, like a 9, .38 is a very common cartridge, and with a revolver you don't have to worry about accessories such as magazines, and they are simpler to clean, no rails to lube etc.

.357 is even better, since you can also shoot .38s. but the .357s are a little more expensive.

Other automatics might include a CZ-75. great 9mm that can be had on the cheap.

The FN hi-powers are not that expensive, and they are great guns.

I think you are on the right track with the Glock though. But you might consider a revolver for all the slimpicity/convenience factors.
Old February 21, 2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Moe Howard

I have a S&W Sigma and that is exactly what mine is used for. It is my backpacking, in the truck, knock around gun. Reliable, cheap and plentiful.
Old February 21, 2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Beansie_Time

+1 on the Sigma, I have one.
Getting it instead of the Glock is like buying the Chevy Pickup instead of the Caddilac.

Last edited by Beansie_Time; February 21, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old February 21, 2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Johnc

Another vote for the Glock. With one exception, I would sacrifice just a bit of the cartridges "common factor" for some fire power. My vote would be for the Glock 23 in .40. A bit more ballistically superior than the 9mm, still concealable easily with it's low overall size and weight.

I would not worry about getting attached to the Glock. I own one, it is not a real looker. I liken it to the plain looking girl that most of us dated. She was a great cook, loved kids, could sew like Betsy Ross, buy you would not give her a second look if you passed her on the beach.
Old February 21, 2008, 04:42 PM   #7
carguychris

IMHO the CZ-82 fits every one of your criteria except the widely available cartridge (it's chambered in 9x18mm Makarov). J&G Sales, Century, etc. sell them for <$200, and they're C&R, so you can avoid transfer fees if you (or your buddy) has a C&R FFL. The mail order houses give you discounts if you buy more than one, so you might be able to get together with a friend or two and organize a "group buy".

If a CZ-82 doesn't float your boat, there are older metal-framed DA/SA S&W police trade-in semi-autos are all over the place in the $200-$350 price range in numerous different configurations. Check CDNN.
Old February 21, 2008, 04:51 PM   #8
TNFrank

Heck, if you've got a C&R you could get a CZ-52 for about $130. Ammo isn't as cheap as for the 9x18mm round(the 52 takes the 7.62x25mm ctg.) but it'll penetrate a IIIa vest and shoots pretty flat if you wanted to take a long shot at a rabbit or other small game. The Nagant revolver can be had for about $90 bucks but then you run into ammo being really hard to find and quite expensive when you do find it.
“You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment.” -Dillis D. Freeman Jr.11/2/2001
Old February 21, 2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Sriracha

+1 on Glock 17, 19 trade-ins and the S&W Sigma.

Also consider S&W metal frame semiauto police trade-ins like the 5906. These are available for reasonable prices at places like www.cdnninvestments.com .
Old February 21, 2008, 05:07 PM   #10
zxcvbob

Hi-Point?

(actually I'm serious, it just sounds like a joke)
Old February 21, 2008, 05:10 PM   #11
MrAnteater

I have a Kel Tec P11 that would be the least painful if lost or stolen.

<$250 new, 10+1 capacity, small, can handle 9mm +P, reliable.

Thats my vote.
Old February 21, 2008, 05:18 PM   #12
dwatts47

Mines an old Glock 17....

not the cheapest to replace but sure not the most costly either...

One BIG requirement in my truck gun is that it must work just as flawlessly as my carry gun... therefor NO HI POINTS for me.
Old February 21, 2008, 05:19 PM   #13
DMK

CDNN had CZ40Bs for like $289. It's a CZ75 mechanically, but with a different shaped slide and frame. The frame is lightweight alloy too. Mine's been a great gun. Zero problems. I love the gun, but it's too big to CCW, so I keep it in the car.

I've seriously considered getting a second one, but I hate having to deal with the headache of transfers through a local dealer.
Old February 21, 2008, 05:38 PM   #14
SIGSHR

I dislike the idea of a handgun that could be traced to me being either lost or stolen. And I dislike the idea of a quality firearm getting into the hand of
a Bad Guy. On the other hand if you leave a junker where a BG might get it and it's loaded with your pet handload of a 158gr SWC over 15 grains of Bullesye....
Old February 21, 2008, 05:44 PM   #15
Sturmgewehre

It's one of the reasons I have an old beater Glock that I always take with me on road trips.
Old February 21, 2008, 06:55 PM   #16
higgy1911

A good point about handguns tied to you being lost or stolen. Might be worth the extra dollars to buy one privately and not have the paper on it.
this isn't tremendously hard here in Kentucky, but it isn't realy easy either.
I did visit Oklahoma once, and at a food court taco bell they had a community bulletin board, on which some guy hung a sign about his Glock 35 being for sale. I kinda liked that state after seeing that. A Glock up there with all the cute little kittens and puppies for sale.
Old February 21, 2008, 07:12 PM   #17
CraigC

To me, the various flavors of "combat tupperware" are ideal for such a purpose. I have guns that I would NOT want to spend one minute in a police evidence locker. In previous years, my truck gun was always a Glock 21 or later a Glock 19. Currently it's a Springfield XD .45 Tactical. My heart will not be broken if I lose it, it becomes damaged or if I have to use it and it spends months or even years in a police evidence locker.
Old February 21, 2008, 07:49 PM   #18
Stevie-Ray

Hmmm....I always thought of Hi-Point when the subject of disposable gun came up. I want one to put in a box of survival necessities, i.e. catastrophic storms, etc. A used Glock 17 or 19 sounds better than Hi-Point if I can find one really cheap. Even a Kel-Tec would be good.
Old February 21, 2008, 08:00 PM   #19
fat old gun nut

Disposible gun?

I vote for the Kel-Tec or an EAA
Old February 21, 2008, 08:05 PM   #20
YukonKid

Glock. Cheap, ugly but they bang every time. And since they have no soles you dont attached . I am really attached to my P&R models 27/28/29 but if my USP was stolen, eh...go buy a new one that looks and functions just the same.

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old February 21, 2008, 08:46 PM   #21
bigghoss

thats the only reason I have my ruger p95 after buying my G17
Old February 21, 2008, 09:51 PM   #22
Shadi Khalil

I dont like the idea of leaving any gun in the car, like above posters I dont want some criminal stealing it and doing who knows what with it...Do you all leave the guns in the car loaded? Maybe this is one of the times those locks we love to **** and moan about would come in handy.
Old February 21, 2008, 09:59 PM   #23
WVfishguy

Quote:
I have a S&W Sigma and that is exactly what mine is used for. It is my backpacking, in the truck, knock around gun. Reliable, cheap and plentiful.
That's exactly why I bought my Sigma.

I used to carry my stainless, Monson Dan Wesson in my vehicle, but I'd die if it got stolen.

I'd also recommend a Bersa 9mm, .40 or .45. Good, inexpensive guns.
Old February 21, 2008, 10:09 PM   #24
allenomics

I think the G19 is a real keeper, not a disposable. Perpahs you might consider a S&W Sigma?
Old February 21, 2008, 10:28 PM   #25
UniversalFrost

bought a RAVEN MP-25 for real cheap with 5 mags and it works like a charm. I could care less if the gun gets lost, stolen or dropped. I also just picked up a taurus 605 snubby and I really am gonna use this in the same role as the RAVEN. No worries if it disappears.

Of course I could never ever lose my python or mk23, but they always reside in my safe and will never wander.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green