The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 21, 2008, 08:16 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

my $200.00 rifle... how'd I do ???

a while back I had a thread on my 95 Mauser I had been looking at, & eventually bought... now that I got the chance to take it out & shoot it, & look it over better, ( plus I had the camera downstairs last night for another project ), I took a few pics...

the gun appears to have been professionlly sporterized, but I can't find any additional markings ( that I know of ), that would indicate who might have done it...

... the Cartridge is 7mm Mauser ( part of why I bought it ), I paid around $200.00 for the gun, out the door, & my best guess is that the previous owner switched on a cheaper scope before selling / trading it in ( it required resighting in when I 1st took it to the range )

a few things I noticed... the stock is nice, well fit, & has been glass bedded, the barrel has been shortened & professionally crowned, it appears to have an aftermarket trigger ( which is grooved ) & breaks very cleanly, the bolt handle is no longer straight, but looks like it was made that way, & the safety may have been changed, as it works well with the scope mounted...the bolt was jeweled, though it's not as crisp as most factory jeweled bolts, & still cocks on close... it has one buggered screw head on the hinged floor plate, where it screws into the stock, that I'll replace, otherwise all screws are gunsmith crisp... I'm loving the gun & would be more than happy with it's performance at 3 times the price... BTW... it had the swivel studs, but I added the sling... IMO, it just might be my best gun value of the year...

a few pics...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 080.jpg (67.7 KB, 6340 views)
File Type: jpg Guns 081.jpg (62.4 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg Guns 082.jpg (62.6 KB, 623 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 21, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old February 21, 2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 083.jpg (75.0 KB, 689 views)
File Type: jpg Guns 084.jpg (44.2 KB, 612 views)
Old February 21, 2008, 08:24 AM   #3
pesta2

Nice MWM!

7mm is a great cartridge. My first Centerfire Rifle was a Chilean 7mm Mauser. I bought it from a catalog, made before 1900 so I could order without an FFL. It was in ruff shape no bluing and the wood was almost black from years of cosmo, so I refinished. Then I refinished it again later, I wanted it to look a little worn and not so ‘refinished” look, now looks like an older military rifle as it should.

I was a lot less knowledgeable then. I think I bought the rifle when I was 18. I walked into the gun store and said “I need I think 7mm Muusers.” The guy was nice about it and said “7mm Mauser, are you sure.” I said yeah but he did not have any and actually called another gun dealer that had a box and told me to get them there, so I went and picked them up.
Old February 21, 2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

IMO, you started off with a great caliber... I've alway been a lover of old cartridges that still perform well ( like the 45-70 ), & IMO, the 7mm Mauser is definately in that same catagory... I've been wanting one for a long time, & this one had been calling out to me from the gun rack at the toy store for several months, & I finally decided to buy it for myself for Christmas... I was hesitating, because I figured something must have been wrong with it the way it was priced, & the fact it had been sitting there for so long...
Old February 21, 2008, 09:00 AM   #5
garryc

Nice looking rifle. That bolt is welded on, probably came from Brownells. It seems to be finished perfectly. That is definitely an after market trigger.

Some suggestions;

You might want to put a speed lock spring in it if that has not already been done.

That rifle has a step crown. What you should do is remove the threads from your jags and brushes so they fall off when they get to the end of the bore. That's so you can't draw them back and abuse the edge of that crown. Then use a bore guide.

If you're going to reload for it keep your pressures below 45,000 psi.

That rifle is going to be throated for a 175gr bullet. You might be lucky and have one that will shoot lighter bullets, probably not. I generally like the Hornady 154gr SP for that purpose. That bullet has a lot of shank. Start it .020 off the lands and play with it. Making sure it fits in the mag box.

I'd play with R19 or R22 on this round.
Old February 21, 2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the info...

Quote:
You might want to put a speed lock spring in it if that has not already been done.
Firing pin spring ??? & how would I know if the spring had been replaced ???

it is tougher to cock on close than some other milsurp rifles I've shot in the past, so I did't know if it had a higher pressure ( or fresh ) aftermarket spring, or...

...the gun appeared to have been greased & stored or ??? as the cartridge detent to open the hinged floor plate is still full of gunk, & the bolt got very stiff, after the rifle aclimated to the 25-30* temps of the day I had it out to the rifle range... even with the stiffer bolt, the firing pin functioned fine, as there were no FTF or hang fires... also the bolt removal lever seems to be gunked up with the same stuff found in the dump plate hole, as it has a tendancy to stay part way out, if it's not "assisted" back in after installing or removing the bolt...

it needs a good detail cleaning, & maybe a scope change before my next range session with it ( which I'll hold off till at least spring & a bit warmer weather to do )

if you were talking about the trigger spring, the trigger is awesome for a gun of this type, the box mag spring seems to be OK as well ???
Old February 21, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7
garryc

It is a cock on close rifle. All the Mausers were up until the 98. If it's difficult to push forward then it probably does have a heavier spring, or it does need a strip and clean. Gunk in the spring will make it hard to operate.

I'd strip that gun down to basic components. Remove the action from the stock and take the striker assembly out of the bolt. Take the bolt catch apart and disassemble the floor plate. You'll need a small punch to take the floor plate latch apart. I use denatured alcohol in a pan. The small parts can soak while I clean the action. What appears to be grease might be oil that has accumulated dust. I use a nylon brush on the parts and often have to use Q-tips. I use a small dental pick in the tight spots that tend to harden. Often I'll use Brake Cleaner to blow the junk out. Then I lightly oil the whole gun, I use FP-10.

I use FP-10 on the striker assembly if I'm not going to shoot the rifle much. Otherwise I use litheum grease. I blow that grease off with brake cleaner every few trips to the range and replace it. It is completely removed and replaced with FP-10 before extended storage. I take one weekend every two months and clean and inspect every gun I have. Oil doesn't have a chance to turn to gunk.
Old February 21, 2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I knew it was a cock on close before I bought it, ( pre '98 ), but the spring (even when warm ) seems stiffer than the last cock on close gun I fired ( though that was few years ago, so the thought is only as good as my memory )

if yoU look at the pic of the trigger, you can see some of the gunk in the detent hole... ( some of my collection gathers dust )... it doesn't look like any oil /dustI've ever cleaned off a gun before, almost looks / feels like cosmoline, but if it was, it must not have been smeared all over the wood, as how it's tradilitionally applied...
Old February 21, 2008, 11:42 AM   #9
garryc

Cock on close had some good reasons. Mostly extraction in a hot dirty gun. It really works best with a straight bolt. When you put on a welded bolt like you have you loose a lot of the grip you need to operate the action. The straight bolt was opperated by striking it up with an open palm hitting it with the web between the fore finger and the thumb. Closing it by hooking it with the thumb.

You might look at this cock on open conversion. I've fired rifles with it in the gun and they work well.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...-ON-OPEN%20KIT
Old February 21, 2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the link... I may want to do the cock on open conversion, the parts are much simpler & cheaper than I expected, & my machining buddy could do the machine work needed on the bolt...but, atleast with it cocking on close it'll keep reminding me every time I shoot it that its not a modern sporting rifle, when I start reloading for it, & help remind me to keep the loads sane... since overall, it looks as good as any modern bolt action rifle capable of handling higher pressure ammo...

I've been trying to make the switch to where any gun I take hunting, is composit & stainless, & keeping these blued & wood gems for nice days at the range for easy fun...
Old February 21, 2008, 12:10 PM   #11
LouPran

Looks like you got one heck of a good deal! Congrats!
Old February 21, 2008, 12:22 PM   #12
garryc

All my deer rifles carry Houge stocks. They are quiet and they stick to your gloves. P-poor on a bench, I gotta do my baggie trick.