The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2008, 06:52 PM   #1
nsrourk29

ammo suggestions for my hi point 9mm luger c9.

Hello all. I have a question for all you ammo folks out there. I finally got my hi point c9 I've been wanting for about a year from my friend who bought it just for me from a friend. I've been to the range three times so far. First time I shot 108 rounds it only jammed two times. I then took it to a gunsmith he took it completely apart, and cleaned it for me. I went the next weekend to the range again shot 100 rounds it jammed about 2 times a mag. The third trip to the range I shot about 80 rounds it jammed once. I have used the same ammo each time. I have been using Winchester 9mm luger 115gr full metal jacket rounds. I have heard sever opinions of why my gun is jamming. The first I heard is the I need to switch ammo The people at Hi point told me that. The secon I heard is that since my magazines are new I will take a few trips for them to get broke in. The way that it is jamming is on the second or third round usually the second on though. The bullet gets stuck at about a 45degree angle from the mag to the barrell.Any in put that you guys can give me would greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick
Old February 9, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
bcrash15

The hi-point people will probably tell you just about anything to avoid having to repair the gun at their cost.
If you're shooting Winchester White Box, I have had excellent luck with that in every caliber.

Is the round just jamming in the magazine and not being stripped out? I have had problems with new mags doing this, especially on the first few rounds. Sometimes the spring is so stiff it holds the round against the feed lips hard enough to bind the slide. If this is the case, leaving them loaded for a while may help and it should get better over time. If the round is actually hitting something which prevents it from moving, then there might be a deeper issue. Can you see any strange scratches or abrasions near the spot where it is hanging up.
Old February 9, 2008, 09:56 PM   #3
nsrourk29

issue

Thank you for the speedy reply. It seems like it is getting jammed up from the mag to the barrell. There are no scratches or abrasions ner the spot, so I;m guessing it is just the mags since they are almost new. I'm going to keep them loaded for awhile and see if that helps. I have started putting only 7 rounds in the 8 round mag and only 9 in my 10 round mags. Maybe that will help. I really appreciate your suggestions. Cn you tell me what type of ammo I should be using. I'm currently using 115gr reounds what's the real difference in the grains?
Old February 9, 2008, 10:35 PM   #4
bcrash15

If it's getting jammed up at a 45° like you said, does it seem like the nose of the bullet is getting caught on the top of the barrel instead of going in it? It can be hard to diagnose feeding problems, the best thing you can do while shooting is to continue like you have and takes notes of what causes the jams. I've heard of manufacturers recommending break in periods for the gun to settle in to use, but really if something is still not working right after a couple hundred rounds I'd be getting mighty curious about it.

The grains thing is just a measure of bullet weight. Some loadings shoot a heavier bullet slower, others a lighter bullet faster. 115 grains is on the lighter end of 9mm loadings, I might try a mid-weight, like a 124+ grain bullet, to see if it cycles the slide more energetically. Also, your gun may just not like certain brands (it shouldn't matter, but it happens), the next time you buy ammo, you might want to snag a few different boxes and see if the problem is brand specific.
Old February 9, 2008, 11:11 PM   #5
Elvishead

Sure!

Put $200 worth of ammo through it, then get back to us.
Old February 9, 2008, 11:41 PM   #6
jaytothekizzay

I too have had problems with my c9 when it was new. I was told to spread the lips of my mags, just slightly, switch ammo, and keep my gun clean by Hipoint. 5000 rounds later NO PROBLEMS at all. I also had problems with Winchester wb. I use Remington, Magtech, or Independance 115fmj.
Old February 10, 2008, 06:54 PM   #7
bigghoss

my buddys hi-point doesn't like steel cased ammo, aside from that should feed anything
Old February 10, 2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Cmdrdredd

Not here to cause trouble, but this is why I like my Glock so much. Shoots anything and never fails. Obviously there are issues with every firearm at one point or another.
Old February 10, 2008, 11:22 PM   #9
Elvishead

Quote:
jaytothekizzay

I too have had problems with my c9 when it was new. I was told to spread the lips of my mags, just slightly, switch ammo, and keep my gun clean by Hipoint. 5000 rounds later NO PROBLEMS at all. I also had problems with Winchester wb. I use Remington, Magtech, or Independance 115fmj.
Wow, you put $700-$1000 worth of ammo through a Hi Point? LMAO!
Old August 29, 2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Donrp2006

i have a hi point 9mm so far i have had no issues with it other then it jammed one time i cleaned and oiled it and it worked great after that
Old August 29, 2012, 08:43 PM   #11
osbornk

I have shot about 150-175 rounds through my C9. It was very slightly used when I got it so I don't know how many it has total. I use Federal 115g bulk ammo from Wal-Mart and it has worked fine ($19.97 for 100).

There are a bunch of videos on Youtube showing how to tweak the magazines and polish the feed ramps to fix feeding issues.
Old August 29, 2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Hansam

Two things:

1. Polish the feed ramp.

2. Get better mags.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:07 PM   #13
tahunua001

winchester white box is without a doubt the worst name brand American made ammunition on the market today. the claims that hi point just want's to dodge fixing it rings hollow. a buddy of mine in the navy bought a C9 with th sole intention of beating the poop out of it until it couldn't be fixed anymore, he has run over it with his truck, thrown it from cliffs, dunked it in mud, sand, water, run it without lube, and every time it breaks they take it back and repair or replace it no questions asked and even send him extra mags every time they get it. he has a whole shoebox of mags now and they have never once refused to fix it. they mean it when they say life time warranty.

I would change ammo to ATK brands like american eagle, federal, speer or CCI, spread the magazine lips just a little and if that fails, polish the feed ramp. if it still has problems then I will guarantee that HP will repair or replace it.

EDIT: awe DANGIT!!! I FELL FOR ANOTHER ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:18 PM   #14
Steve Collins

Old thread.

Nothing like resurrecting a 4 1/2 year old thread.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:29 PM   #15
myshoulderissore

Quote:
I love it man!
Old August 29, 2012, 11:41 PM   #16
house

I have a hi point c9 that eats anything. I had to tweak the mag lips a bit but it's been very reliable and accurate.
Old August 30, 2012, 03:32 AM   #17
marine6680

Quote:
Brains!

Another single post user revival?

Two in one day! D*** you Google search!
Old September 6, 2012, 10:22 AM   #18
shagzownz

My ammo

I use Federal 115grn FMG rounds shoots fine and hasn't jammed on me except one time for feeding issues (I put the ammo at a downward angle when loading) The problem I have is accuracy. I shoot 150 rounds through it and missed basically every time. Shot my friends Ruger SR9 and with one shot I hit center target. Either my sights are off or my hi point is very bad. From a 25 yard distance I can't hit anything with it.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:07 PM   #19
tahunua001

^ a good way to test the sights is to move closer than 25 yards, 25 is the max for many indoor ranges with 3 yards usually being the minimum. I would suggest starting at 3-5 yards then move it out to 7-10 yards, as you move out and you notice your shots are drifting farther and farther from point of aim then you can adjust accordingly.

some handgun shooters never venture out to 25 yards, why would you start at ranges that some never dream of moving out to?
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.