The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 4, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1
RJM

Converting Uberti cattleman to a birdshead grip.

What parts would I need to convert an Uberti Cattleman with a regular brass grip frame, (the cattleman Hombre model) to a birdshead grip. Can I just get the rear backstrap and everything is good, or do I need a new leaf spring and other parts for it. Just wondering, any thoughts on it?

What about putting a birdshead grip on an cap and ball revolver like the 1851 or 1861? Anybody know if it would work?
.327 SP101, .327 Blackhawk, .45 Vaquero, Browning Maxus, Browning Silver Lightning, Ruger no.1 .243, Stoeger .410 sxs, TC Contender, Remington 870 Wingmaster, Uberti 1860, Hawken, Moisin, Mauser, Marlin 60
Old February 5, 2008, 01:12 AM   #2
CraigC

Should only need the backstrap for the Cattleman. Same for a `51 Navy as I'm assuming the grip frames interchange between the Model P and the `51, `60, `61 percussion models. The long 1860 Army would obviously also require a triggerguard. I have no idea if the parts are available separately or how rough they will be supplied. I believe that however they are shipped, fitting could be anywhere between easy and nightmarish.