The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 4, 2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Buddha07

Mauser Model 98...

Well apparently I own a Model 98 Mauser and I didn't know it. My mom has decided to give me this gun and she knows nothing about it other then where it came from. Here are the pics, plus the history she knows after the pics.

The top of it, you can see it has the numbers 42 and 40 on it.

Another pic of the top

A pic of the left side, you can somewhat see that it reads Mod 98...

A full pic of the gun on the left side

A full pic of the gun on the right side

Left side up close

Well my mother got the gun from her father; and he bought it from a gunsmith for 200 and some odd dollers. The gunsmith said he got the gun from a customer that came in and told him that he found the Mauser during WW2 on an abandoned battlefield. The customer said he picked it up and brought it back to the states with him, he kept it in the closet for about 20 years and then decided to fix it up. So he went to the gunsmith and told him to do whatever to fix it up. So the gunsmith re-stocked it, made the back part of the stock shorter with some designs; and then apparently that customer never came back to pick up the gun when it was done. So thats where my grandfather comes in; he went into the gun store one day looking to buy a gun, and finds a Mauser for 200 some bucks and gets it.

From what I know my grandfather didn't even shoot it, and neither did my mother. So it hasn't been shot it probably over 60 years; so I am going to take it to a gunsmith for him to see if there is anything wrong with it and to make it shootable again(if it isn't).

Now I know Mausers are really popular; but can someone give me some history to the Model 98? Also what rounds do I use to shoot it? I know it says its a 7.92mm or something like that, but does that mean I go to Academy and buy 7.92 mm rounds?
Old February 4, 2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Baba Louie

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98gew/index.asp
Check out the articles on the right hand column, maintenance, disassembly, etc.

Take it to your smith, ask him to check head space, bore and muzzle crown. If he's not too rushed, ask him to show you how to take the bolt apart (you can read up on that first), check the spring, firing pin. Clean it up, buy some 8mm ammunition (note that surplus will probably be corrosive and will require some additional cleaning with ammonia... Windex will do).

Then go out and see how it groups on paper.

Whereabouts does one shoot in Pensacola? (P'Cola Rifle and Pistol Club or elsewhere?)
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old February 4, 2008, 04:24 PM   #3
JamieC

chamber cast

have ur smith pour a chamber cast to make sure what caliber it is do not shoot it until you are 100% sure of the caliber.very nice gun
Old February 4, 2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Buddha07

ok thanks for the info.
I live outside of Pensacola in Pace. Its about 10 minutes outside of P'Cola. I go shooting at a range in an area we call Chumuckla.
Old February 4, 2008, 04:41 PM   #5
rem870hunter

nice rifle, it looks like the barrel was changed too. so you definetly want to have the chamber checked for proper shell size and caliber. the barrel may have been changed to 30-06 or even 308. unless the barrel has the 7.92 mm markings.
Old February 4, 2008, 05:09 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

the gun looks good. like the others said have the gunsmith check headspace, verify caliber, check bore, etc... . It is nice to see that the markings are intact. Many have had the eagle and/or swastikas peened out. The 98 actions are some of the best in the world and are made to withstand tremendous pressures so you could chamber it to just about any caliber with no problems.

You may want to check out http://www.mausercentral.com/ and they have a forums section, plus just about everything you ever wanted to know about any variation of almost every known mauser. If you wanted to sell it I would advertise it there (or I would be interested).

Happy shooting (but only after a competent gunsmith checks this out first). Oh yeah, 7.92mm could be anything under the sun, so really get this checked out. If the gunsmith can't tell you what caliber then take it to another gunsmith, if still no luck then you can get it rebarreled and the rcvr face trued, threads chased/trued, bolt face and lugs lapped, etc.... Midway has shilen barrels for the 98 actions real cheap or just get Krieger to do the action and barrel work and you will have a really awsome gun with the best action in the world and the best barrels.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 4, 2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Hawg

It's also been rebarreled. That's a sporter barrel not an original mauser military barrel. By all means have a gunsmith find out what caliber it is now.
Old February 4, 2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Buddha07

wow I got a lot more info than I thought I would, thanks a lot. Yeah, I am definately going to get the gunsmith to check it out, I hope its atleast a .30-06, that way the ammo would be cheaper since it is a different barrel apparently(I think at least, I am going to check if it has 7.92mm on it.)

And I am not looking to sell it, even though I am pretty sure I can get some money for it(idk though I'm thinking maybe 500). But anyways thanks for all the help everyone...
Old February 4, 2008, 08:36 PM   #9
Buzzcook

If it checks out you have a great rifle there.
8mm isn't that different from the .30-06. It can be used for deer no problem.
Old February 4, 2008, 08:56 PM   #10
3StrikesNC

Does your mom need another son??

I'm sure you thanked her. Good luck with it. Nice gun.
Old February 4, 2008, 08:59 PM   #11
Buddha07

lol thank you 3 strikes...
Old February 4, 2008, 09:12 PM   #12
bigbird34

98's are great

My son was given a 98 a few years back by a doctor friend of mine it was all orininal except someone wittled on the stock and it also had peep sight ....his is still an 8mm .321" not the earlier .319" ,there were several different diameter bullets used ...thru the years in these guns....anyhow we removed the peep sights,had it drilled and tapped for a scope,new trigger and safety ,and stock,nice shooting ,gun,but every now and the we would get a missfire ,but I thinkI have fianlly figured out that little issue (I'm bringing it to the range along with a Browns percission in .284 Win on thursday for some testing good Luck BB34
Old February 4, 2008, 11:09 PM   #13
ISC

I had that same lyman sight on a model 93 7x57 mauser a few years ago. it's a nice touch.
Old February 4, 2008, 11:10 PM   #14
garryc

The 42 indicates Mauser-Werke AG, Oberndorf on the Neckar. Later designated "byf" which would make it a pre war of early war rifle reciever. It might not be a replacement barrel as it was common to turn the steps off. Unfortunatly, that often ruined a good barrel if it wasn't done carefully.
Old February 18, 2008, 04:33 PM   #15
Buddha07

I got my German Mauser Model 98 back from the gunsmith today, he said it checked out fine; the firing pin, spring, and everything else was good. It turns out that it is not a 8mm, but it takes 7mm magnums, so that is good. That means I don't have to always buy online to get ammunition. So I should be going shooting either friday or saturday; I can't wait.
Old February 18, 2008, 05:32 PM   #16
Jimro

I recommend starting off with winchester white box 175 grain bullets.

I'm assuming it is a 7mm Remington Mag as it is the most common of the 7mm Magnum family. Make sure you know exactly which cartridge it fires, it wouldn't be a good idea to shoot a 7mm Rem Mag out of a 7mm Weatherby Mag chamber.

Anyways it seems you got one heckuva rifle, with just about the best iron sights in existence. Learn to shoot it well and you will scoff at folks who need a scope to stay in the black at 100

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old February 18, 2008, 05:45 PM   #17
Buddha07

The gunsmith said he knew for a fact that it shot 7mm magnum; and he said that getting Remington 7mm Magnum would be just fine; so thats what I bought, so I got 2 boxes of 20, so this weekend I should be able to sight it in, as well as fall in love with it even more...
Old February 18, 2008, 06:41 PM   #18
UniversalFrost

so did he do a cast of the chamber? Otherwise there would have been no way to know for sure unless he was the gunsmith who barreled the action many many years ago. Their are many wildcat cartridges out there and just because you have a 7mm rifle with a magnum bolt face means nothing.

Just to be safe take it to another gunsmith and ask them to to a chamber casting to find out exactly what round it is chambered in. This is the safest way to know for SURE. Otherwise you might find out the hard way that it was some 7mm cartridge like 7mm-08 Ackley, 7mm Ackley Mag, 7mm Weatherby, 7mm/378 Weatherby, 7mm/300 Weatherby, etc....

The mauser action is probably the most widely chambered action out there. This can work to your advantage as well. EVERY gunsmith out there worth there salt can rebarrel your mauser action for a very competitve price. Now not all know how to accurize the action. Start with chasing the threads, square up the receiver, lap the lugs and the bolt face and while some like to do a "crush fit" of the barrel to the receiver I have found that if you crush fit then back off slightly you will enjoy much better acuracy. You can pick up an Adams&Bennett barrel with a sporter contour for under 100 bucks to your door, or my favorite is a Krieger barrel (but they are not cheap). ER Shaw or Lothar are also excellent choices for barrels.

Bottom line is get a chamber casting made or shoot it at your own risk.

JOE

Last edited by UniversalFrost; February 18, 2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 18, 2008, 06:47 PM   #19
MacGille

Baba Louie, The ammonia solution for corrosive ammo is another urban myth. the corrosive element in European ammo is potassium chlorate salts. Since salts are base materials, ammonia which is also a base won't touch it. The best (and easiest) way to remove these salts is (wait for it) soap and water. Very hot water. Dissolves the salts and the heat will cause the water to evaporate very quickly. Then just do a normal cleaning.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old February 18, 2008, 06:57 PM   #20
UniversalFrost

yes, the salts are what cause the corrosion. take barreled action and run HOT soapy water through after shooting. use some hoppes or CLP to clean the barrel afterwards and then a few passes of clp or your favorite bore oil and store.

Joe

Old February 18, 2008, 08:08 PM   #21
Buddha07

I gave him a list of things to do that were written down on a piece of paper and on there I told him to do a chamber cast; and when I got it back he wrote next to it "not needed", he said that it is a 7mm, and that I should buy 7mm magnum rounds. I didn't ask him how he could tell what caliber it was, but I don't know.

Edit: I forgot to mention this, this gun hasn't been rebarreled, the reciever and barrel still have the german markings on it and everything. And I am not looking to change this gun at all, not even thinking about rebarreling with it because i feel it has so much history with it as is even though it has been restocked...
Old February 18, 2008, 08:28 PM   #22
UniversalFrost

Quote:
Edit: I forgot to mention this, this gun hasn't been rebarreled, the reciever and barrel still have the german markings on it and everything. And I am not looking to change this gun at all, not even thinking about rebarreling with it because i feel it has so much history with it as is even though it has been restocked...
let me tell you germany did not use 7mm Rem Mag

I sure like his confidence in saying not needed. How about have him shoot it first with 7mm rem mag then. let's see his answer then.

Seriously for safety's sake get a second opinion on the chambering of the rifle.

JOE

Old February 18, 2008, 08:29 PM   #23
Darren007

Just out of curiosity, you stated in your edit that it does have the original military barrel. My question is...How could it if your gunsmith says its 7mm magnum???. Every Mauser K98K(which is what you have, albeit "sporterized") ever made was chambered for the 8X57mm (.323)... No military Mauser manufactured after 1905 was barreled for the earlier 8mm/.318 and no Mauser made for the German military was ever chambered for a 7mm cartridge.

I would seriously consider getting a second opinion on the chambering of your rifle.

Just FYI from a guy whos been collecting Mausers for 20+ years.

BTW an earlier poster was correct in that the 42 was the wartime manufacturers code for Mauser, Oberndorf. The "40" was the year the gun was made i.e...1940. The little triangle on top was NOT put there by the Germans during WW2. Usually a triangle with numbers stamped in it (which yours appears to have) indicates that the gun was used by Communist East Germany AFTER the war.

Having read your original post about the history of this gun, I'd just like to add that we have a saying in the Mil-surp world of collecting...."Buy the gun..NOT the story"

Last edited by Darren007; February 19, 2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old February 19, 2008, 12:58 AM   #24
Buddha07

Yeah I am going to get someone to get a chamber cast of it, don't have to worry about that; I definately don't want to shoot it and have things go array.

Honestly I thought the barrel has never been changed due to the German stamps, etc.

Btw, I am not protesting any of your remarks, even though it might sound I am, I am just so anxious to get it out to the range, but thanks for the input, I am definately going to have it checked out ASAP(just so I can go shooting quicker nonetheless lol).
Old February 19, 2008, 01:20 AM   #25
Darren007

No worries... We just dont want to see you get hurt is all!!! If you have any more questions let me know either here or by PM.