The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Fail to fire ammunition...

Suppose I had a perfect running shotgun with no defects.

If I was shooting winchester, remington, federal or Fiocchi

How many Fail to Fire should I expect to get If I fired 1000 rounds?

I am gessing 50 is this about right?
Old February 4, 2008, 09:51 AM   #2
ebutler462

I have been shotgunning for over 50 years. I can't recall more than a half dozen FTFs in the thousands of rounds I have shot, all brands, mostly el cheapos, also, hundreds of expensive magnum loads. It is a very rare occurence. I don't think that I have had a misfire in 25-30 years.

Misfires, or FTFs are usually the gun's fault, not the ammos. Ammo produced over my lifetime has been ultra reliable. FTFs begin when shooters don't keep their guns clean. The ammo is reliable but a dirty gun just might not hit the primer hard enough to ignite it.

I would expect no FTFs at all in 1000 rounds, or 10,000 rounds if the shooter maintains his gun.
Old February 4, 2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Gbro

I agree with ebutler

Most of my shooting is with 870's and i can think of 1 in 30 years. That one was on the bottom of the boat(duck hunting) for unknown time.
Now bulk .22 ammo (box of 500) i will see 10-15 miss fires. We had more than that yesterday at the range. 5 shooters sharing the box of bulk. I called it prior to starting the shoot. (2 buckmarks, 1 kimber w/.22lr top(numorous feed failures), 1 ruger mark III(no-miss fires), the other gun i forget.
The oil bottle was used to some success.
Old February 4, 2008, 11:20 AM   #4
classic095

FTOF

Been shooting shotguns for over 50 years now and I doubt that I have had a dozen factory fail to fire rounds.. only if the gun broke something.. I shoot an 1100 (6 of em) and the only failures I get is sometimes a shell slips through my reloading system with a spent primer, other than that, Federals, which if I have to buy practice ammo is the only ammo I buy for any of my shotguns.

I shoot on the average of 3 days a week, all day long, skeet and trap, with no problems with Federals. Now the Cheap Winchester super speeds from wally world will jam up a pump gun due to cartdrige swelling and the quality control is so bad on them I actually get some with plastic hanging off the side of the metal case, but I must say I cant recall any that went into one of my shotguns didnt fire..
Old February 6, 2008, 01:49 PM   #5
BigJimP

I would expect none - but once in a great while a problem will pop up.

I have seen some problems with Fiocci ammo - but an acquaintance was using a pump gun that was a little suspect. I've seen similar problems on cheap ammo like Estate or Gun Club from time to time with misfires or problems feeding shells thru a gun. Most often the feed problems occur because the first shell fired in the chamber (on a pump or a semi-auto and then it jammed ) indicating the case distorted or something and it was difficult to remove.

Personally, last year, I bought 10 cases of Remington 12ga Nitro sporting clays loads - a premium shell - and out of one case lot ( and in 2 boxes ) there were 3 or 4 shells that were mangled ( hulls twisted and dented badly )as I pulled them out of the box. I'm surprised they didn't catch it as they were boxed up but the outside of the boxes, or the case packaging, didn't show any indication of a problem.

Personally, in 12, 20, 28 and .410 I run Remington STS or Remington Nitro exclusively - and then I save and reload the hulls. Remington in general, is a very good quality shell when new and very durable for reloading. Every company goes thru their ups and downs - and with their 28ga shells - Remington did have some extrustion problems where the hulls were fracturing inside the brass base and coming apart as the shell was fired. But they claim to have fixed that problem as well.
Old February 7, 2008, 11:08 PM   #6
castnblast

I've been shooting for close to 30 years - shotguns, rifle, and handgun. the only FTF I've ever had on centerfires were related to a firing pin problem. I've had lots of FTF on rimfire, but centerfires are extremely reliable. My old S&W started to FTF 2 years ago. The pin was gunked up internally and after a quick fix, it shot just fine.