The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 3, 2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Best shotgun ammo for home defense..

I live in the Ghetto. There are more Goblins in my neighborhood than in the "
"world of warcraft"

I live in an older brick house. So penetration is not that much of a concern.

I have narowed my choiced down to 00buck 9 pellet or 12 pellet, or 000 Buck 8 pellet or 000 buck 15 shot magnum.

Is there any possibility that 000 Buck shot could penetrate my brick walls?

Would 00 Buck be able to completely penetrate a Ghetto Goblin wearing a leather jacket?

The largest distance in my house it about 10 yards in the hall way. I want something that could spread to 4"-10" inches at 10 yards And will provide complete penetration through a Ghetto goblin wearing a leather Jacket, But I do not want it to go through my brick wall.

I am using a 20" mossberg pump shotgun.

Last edited by Super-Dave; February 3, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old February 3, 2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Elephant_Man
Registration in progress

Man if you shoot somebody with any of those at 10 yards, they ain't getting back up. I don't think they will go through a brick wall
Old February 3, 2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Crosshair

9 pellet loads tend to recoil less than 12 pellet. Take a sample of each out to the range. I found that for me, 9 pellet loads give the best combination of firepower and follow-up shots. (I changed the recoil pan on my gun so I will have to retest that.) If you are using a SxS you generally might as well use 12 pellet loads since you only have two shots before reloading anyway.

No idea on the 000 load.
Old February 3, 2008, 04:28 PM   #4
rem870hunter

what shotgun are you using for the home? does it have a plain barrel with bead or a smoothbore slug type with sights? being its a 12 ga. i would say pattern it for whatever the max. distance plus 3-5 feet. try #1 0 and 9 ball 00 and 12 ball 00 buck. #1 buck according to gelatin test was shown to be the best with penetration and pellet count/pellet size ratio. take a piece of 8.5"x11" paper. aim for the center. fire 1 shot. count the number of pellets that hit compared to whats in the load. make a note of the brand size and pellet count of shell compared to what hits the paper. use what gives you the most pellets. for my 12 ga. 870 with smoothbore slug barrel with sights. until the sight screw loosened up . i had winchester super x #1 buck as the best at 10 out of 16 pellets inside the paper. at 18 yards. which is a little over what my max. distance would be in my home. i am taking another trip to the range in the next few days for another patterning test. and to get my sights back to where they were before.
Old February 4, 2008, 03:56 AM   #5
predator86

www.theboxotruth.com

every awnser to your question....and then some......with pictures!!!
Old February 5, 2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Super-Dave

I have been unable to find any good answers about the 00 Buck and whether it could penetrate a Ghetto Goblin wearing a leather jacket.

So I think I am going to go with 000 Buck or I have thought about stagering every other round 000 Buck 8 pellet and then 00 Buck 12 pellet.

I hope this is enough if not, I should probably sell the shotgun and look for something better.
Old February 5, 2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Slopemeno

00 Buck has a good record of dealing with the bad guys. You might even look into the low-recoil tactical loads that are available now, as they pattern really tight. And even if it didnt (and I think it certainly would) penetrate a leather jacket, the bad guy would have a 6" deep leather insert in his chest.

If you get the chance, take some 00 Buck out and conduct some penetration tests of your own. A thrift-store leather jacket should be easy to find.
Old February 5, 2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Legumeofterror

i really dont see a leather jacket stopping 00 buck in the ranges hes talking about.
Old February 5, 2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Crosshair

Here is the result from gell testing with #4 buckshot. 00 should have similar, if not better, penetration.

Old February 5, 2008, 04:27 PM   #10
SD_Chop

any and all the above will do the job. I use 3" 00buck out of a 18" barrel. its a 12 pel. round which would be good for the distance without over kill of pel in my house. i could however pack the 3.5" mags in #1 buck and send 27 .30cal pel his way buuuut those are expensive rounds to be shooting shorty with. and of the bucks or #bucks at the range is gonna do the dirty
Old February 9, 2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Rampant_Colt

no need for magnum-level shotgun loads at indoor distances.
My preference is for low recoil 00 and 000 buckshot. Federal flite-control Tactical buck is among the best available and best patterning.
A bad guy won't be able to tell the difference between the magnum and low recoil loads
Old February 9, 2008, 08:42 PM   #12
fourrobert13

Hornady Tap 00 buck is my #1 choice.

Remington reduced recoil 00 buck is my #2 choice.

Both are reduced loads which are designed for close quarter confrontations. I like the Hornady a bit better because it groups tighter. Fist sized group at 15 yards from a 18.5" Mossy 500 barrel. The Remington is about a 6 to 8" group at the same distance. Both are good choices IMO.
Old February 9, 2008, 08:53 PM   #13
tplumeri

There was a similar post here some time ago about home SD loads and firing order.
Most went with 00 for the majority of rounds with some folks recommending a slug or 2 in a 5 round load.

Unlikely 00 would penetrate brick wall.
Old February 10, 2008, 12:23 AM   #14
skeeter1

If you're worried about penetration, use #4 Buck. I can't imagine that anyone getting hit by one of those (leather jacket or not) is going to be getting back up. At <10yds, birdshot should do the trick just as well.
Old February 10, 2008, 01:16 PM   #15
RedneckFur

I've hunted with 2 3/4" 00 and #1 Buck for years. Either will do a fine job for home defense. I've yet to see the leather jacket that will stop any bullet at close range. Dont stress about the choice of shot. The best thing to do is to get out and pratice.
Old February 10, 2008, 02:27 PM   #16
jad0110

Any of them will work, though you may want to stick to 8 or 9 pellet 2 3/4" 00 loads for quicker follow up shots.

Quote:
00 Buck has a good record of dealing with the bad guys. You might even look into the low-recoil tactical loads that are available now, as they pattern really tight.
Quote:
Federal flite-control Tactical buck is among the best available and best patterning.
Yeah, I'm totally sold on the Federal buckshot with Flite Control, either the standard or reduced recoil Tacticle loads. Out of my Mossie 590A 20", either will group between 4 and 5" at 15 yards. But don't take my word for it, as your shottie my not agree with mine.

As for 00 or 000 going through brick walls, my guess would be possibly. But I wouldn't think it would be carrying much energy beyond that.

---

Can you move? If things are really that bad there, it might be time to get the heck out.