The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2008, 03:14 PM   #1
gastonglock

Rifling a Shotgun

Hi guys,

I know a lot has been told about this matter, and I've read almos all of the threads.
I own a Mossberg 500 combo, so I have the "standard" barrel and the "Smooth" barrel for Brenneke.
I'd like to prepare it for hog hunting. Here in Argentina you'd probably be at 75/80 meters away from the hog at the moment you have to pull the trigger. Also, we do hunt with moon light, no artificial light is used.
I'm thinking about buying a rifled bore for my mossberg and mounting a 6x40 or something like that (perhaps a larger objective (44 or 50)).
Do you think is whorty? In case it is... What kind of Ammo should I use??

Well, thanks for your help,

Christian
Old January 30, 2008, 04:15 PM   #2
davlandrum

I am not clear on the difference between the standard barrel and the smooth barrel - but

I had a rifled barrel on a Mossberg 500 and liked it a lot. I had a 4x scope on it, and often wished I had less than that. I would think a 6x would make it harder to use at the range you are talking - less than 100 yards.

Only thing I did not like was sighting it it, it would just beat me to death. I never noticed it when hunting.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 30, 2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

If you have a rifled barrel you should shoot sabot slugs.
These are slugs inside a plastic "jacket" or "sabot".
The plastic sabot is gripped by the rifling. Once the slug exits the muzzle, the plastic sabot drops away.

These are very accurate, and you can get near-rifle like groups at 100 yards and even more.
The only down side is, you can shoot sabot slugs ONLY in a rifled shotgun barrel....NO birdshot, no buckshot, and no standard rifled slugs.
Old January 30, 2008, 06:01 PM   #4
rem870hunter

i am not too sure i understand what you mean by the standard barrel and the smooth barrel.

do you have 2 barrels that are different lengths and look different on the outside as well the inside?

for example do you have: a 26" or 28" vent rib barrel and an 18" -20" slug barrel with sights or a scope bracket? if the shorter of the 2 barrels has sights or a scope bracket. it maybe a rifled barrel. i don't know if mossberg sells a combo with a vent rib barrel and a smoothbore slug with sights or a scope on the barrel.
the combos i have seen in dicks sporting goods here in nj have 2 barrels. 1 is a 26" or a 28" vent rib and the other is a 20" fully rifled barrel with a 2.5 power scope mounted on a bracket fixed to the barrel. the vent rib barrel comes with 1 screw in choke tube. mod. if i am right.

are you calling the vent rib barrel the "standard barrel" and the "smooth barrel" the slug barrel? you can buy a fully rifled barrel for the mossberg 500 with or without a scope bracket on the barrel. you can only use "sabot type" and maybe "foster type" ammo in it.
Old January 30, 2008, 08:46 PM   #5
gastonglock

All right, all right... I didn't express myself very well...

I named "standard" barrel, the one that I use for normal shotgun ammo... and "smooth" barrel, the one without chokes to shot brenekes....

Anyway, Thanks For the answers. I just need to check how easy (or not) is to get Sabot ammo here in Argentina.

As soon as I test it I'll post the results...

Thanks a lot...
Old January 30, 2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Red_Eagle

I think he means he using an unrifled slug barrel. Cylinder barrel with rifle sights, like the old ithica Deer slayer had.
Old February 4, 2008, 01:23 PM   #7
gastonglock

Well... Here's the thing... The price in Argentina for a 5 sabot box is U$ 25... way too much... (a 20 box of .308 is U$20 or less)... Besides, the rifled bore for my Mossberg 500 costs U$400.... So, I bought a Mossberg 100 ATR .308W for U$700...

Thanks,

Christian