The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2008, 11:42 AM   #1
AR FUN

Remington Model 11

I have a friend, who's father has a Model 11. He sent the shotgun to a poor smith to have it tapped for rem chokes. The chokes were not properly seated and the shot was catching the lip of the choke tube. This has caused the barrel to bulge and split. The old fellow has quite an attachment to the gun and we would like to make it whole again. I can only see two options. 1.) Find a new barrel. 2.) Saw the barrel off and start new with a new gunsmith and have choke tubes installed. This will cost us about 3"s of barrel. Was the model 11 barrel too thin for choke tube installation to begin with? Will the barrel thickness increase, 3" back be enough for a choke tube system. Where can a guy pick up a new, refurbished, replacement, or used barrel for a model 11? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

AR out
Old January 30, 2008, 11:58 AM   #2
rhgunguy

Good luck finding a new barrel as I can count on one hand the number of model 11s I have seen for sale. They are hard to come by, but i have seen a few on gunbroker.com The route I would choose involves letting the smith that messed up my gun find me a new barrel. Actualy, scratch that, the first route I would have chosen would be not to try and alter a gun of personal meaning, but we live and learn.

As for barrel thickness and remaining length, I do not know, I am not a qualified smith.

I am actualy in the process of trying to find a Sportsman model 11 in 16 ga(just like my g-grandfathers gun). The gunsmith at Gander Mtn. told me that they will not even take in model 11s for resale because they simply can not guarantee them as they would a newer gun. He said that he is not even allowed to do any work on them.

I hope I was able to answer a few questions.
Old January 30, 2008, 12:32 PM   #3
darrentxs

I believe the Remington Model 11 is actually a Browning licensed copy of the Browning automatic shotgun. The barrels are the same. My dad has a late 1940's model 11 Remington that came with a (replaced) Browning barrel on it when he got it. It also has a "Cutts" compensator that adds about 4-5" to the length.
Old January 30, 2008, 12:40 PM   #4
rhgunguy

You would be correct darrentxs, the 11 uses some of the Browning A-5 patents and looks nearly identical. Whether or not parts are interchangeable is a question I would only trust to an QUALIFIED gunsmith. We don't want this fellows beloved gun to blow up based on our information, do we?

AR Fan, consult a rich gunsmith. I think there is a reason that they are not poor.
Old January 30, 2008, 12:43 PM   #5
darrentxs

I agree, it's definitly a job for a qualified gunsmith!
Old January 30, 2008, 03:25 PM   #6
kentucky_smith

Browning barrels are different. Savage 720-775 barrels are identical though.
Old January 30, 2008, 03:31 PM   #7
kentucky_smith

http://www.barrelexchange.com/srch_1...&Submit=Search
Old January 30, 2008, 03:33 PM   #8
kentucky_smith

http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/

has about 20 as well.
Old January 30, 2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Jeff Mulliken

There is some seriously weak information being sent around.

Model 11's are as common as hens teeth and inexpensive. There are about 20 of them for sale on Gunbroker right now....though some of them are priced "stupid".

Call in an airstrike on Gander Mountain. M11's are cheap, durable, reliable and easy to fix. If Gander Mountain won't take them in the reason is totally different that that yahoo told you. The wont work on them because parts are hard to come by. They wont take them in for resale because they are hard as hell to sell. There are far more of them for sale than there are interested buyers.

With the exception of the friction rings and recoil spring the parts do not interchange with Browning Auto-5's. That is especially true of the barrels.

If you see a M11 with a Browning marked barrel on it then the barrel came off an "American Browning" which was made by Remington for Browning while Belgium was occupied by the Nazi's. The American Browning was actually a Remington Model 11 with a magazine cut off and the Browning name on it.

The owner should replace the barrel. Loose original Model 11 barrels are not as common as guns and they guys that have them want too much. He should just buy a used gun cheap, take the barrel off and sell the reciever and wood for salvage value of the remaining parts. The net cost should be very modest.

Jeff
Old January 30, 2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
I believe the Remington Model 11 is actually a Browning licensed copy of the Browning automatic shotgun.
True.
Quote:
The barrels are the same.
False.
The Remington Model 11 used many of JM Browning's patented designs, and since JM Browning had initially licensed Remington to produce the shotgun they made them and sold them under their name.
Quote:
Was the model 11 barrel too thin for choke tube installation to begin with?
Thin and brittle. Probably not an ideal candidate for screw-in choke installation.
Quote:
Will the barrel thickness increase, 3" back be enough for a choke tube system.
it will ahve to be measured.

I would contact Briley for help. Your chances of finding a Remington Model 11 barrel are slim.
Taylor Machine
Old January 30, 2008, 05:59 PM   #11
kentucky_smith

Quote:
I would contact Briley for help. Your chances of finding a Remington Model 11 barrel are slim.

Check my links. I found him about 50 in any length or choke he would want for around $200.

Or you can buy an entire Savage gun, swap barrels, and get most of your money back when reselling the Savage.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976964018...75_EE_6_16.htm

What does he use the shotgun for? Here's an IC barrel:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976981761...1_12ga_bbl.htm

Like Polychokes?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976976633...AUTOLOADER.htm
Old January 30, 2008, 11:47 PM   #12
10-96

Since we didn't see the bbl- it would be a hard guess as to the in's and out's of the choice of chokes used. Was the bbl already cut back to a thin area? I've come to find that WinChoke chokes require less bbl wall and less is intrusive into the cutting/threading action.

I think I would personally look into all aspects of having the installer of the choke system foot the bill for a new bbl. I think Crosnoe Guns has one at the moment.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old January 31, 2008, 01:17 AM   #13
rhgunguy

Quote:
Model 11's are as common as hens teeth and inexpensive. There are about 20 of them for sale on Gunbroker right now....though some of them are priced "stupid".
My grandmother raised chickens and do not recall ever seeing hen or rooster teeth. Those teeth could only be inexpensive bacause only a fool would buy them, but I digress.

The point of this exercise is getting this gentleman's gun back into working order as it has senimental value, not buying a new gun.

P.S.
There are not many Model 11s for sale on gunbroker, I would know as I have been looking weekly for eight months(see my origional post).
Old January 31, 2008, 01:37 AM   #14
darrentxs

Hello, interesting stuff..hats off to kentucky_smith I think he found the best answer - get a used barrel from the second link he provided - Corsonbarrels.com.

They have them for the model 11 marked Savage, Browning, & Remington. Ofcourse the Remington marked version would be ideal. Just called my dad to see if his was marked "American Browning" and it isn't. Not saying anything as to who actually made it, only that it's marked Browning, it's on the gun and fits.
Old January 31, 2008, 02:12 AM   #15
Red_Eagle

Gunbroker.com has 2 Remington 11 barrels on action now. About $200.
Old February 2, 2008, 01:45 AM   #16
Jeff Mulliken

There were 20 Model 11's on gunbroker when I looked. I counted them before I posted.

Buying a new Corson barrel for a Model 11 is an expensive alternative to picking up another gun and salvaging the barrel.

Darren, your dad's gun would not be marked American Browning, that is just what they are called. The name was used to differentiate them from the Browning Auto-5 which was made by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium from 1903 to 1976 with time off for WW2. Miroku then made the the Browning Auto-5 from 1977 till 1999 when production ceased. While the war was on Browning had Remington make some guns with the Browning name on them so that Browning would have something to sell while FN's factory was occupied. If you know them well you can look at the mechanics of the American Browning and see that it is a Model 11 with a magazine cut off added.

I know a thing or two about these guns, having accumulated a few,

Old February 2, 2008, 03:03 AM   #17
darrentxs

Thanks Jeff, hope I didn't come off the wrong way. I trusted your info on the barrels marked Browning so I was trying to not go against it, just clarifying the actual mark.

I saw a bunch on GB too and noticed some were priced crazy and others reasonable.

Glad the facts were brought out by you so others can benefit. Your collection speaks volumes.

Regards,

Darren
Old February 2, 2008, 09:56 AM   #18
Jeff Mulliken

Darren, no problem, just another good opportunity to share the history on these fine guns. The beers on me.

Jeff
Old February 2, 2008, 08:53 PM   #19
Webleymkv

If a Savage barrel would work as one poster said it would then that is the solution to your problem. Numrich has them in several different flavors.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=089Zz720