The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2008, 09:14 PM   #1
mniesen89

how to......finding the right load for that rifle!

So i've pretty much got this reloading thing down as far as making all my catridges consist,now comes the part where I'm trying to find the best load for that paticular rifle.I've talked to other more experienced reloaders at my local range and they've all said "try,try, and try again". Is this the only way of finding that perfect load or are there certain steps I should be taking?

Accuracy is more purpose.
Old January 26, 2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Red_Eagle

Try different bullets, powders, and seating depth. I've had real good luck with Sierra 165gr BTHP and IMR-4350 in the 30-06.
Old January 26, 2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Glennster

I tried at least 20 different combinations before I found the pet load for my 308, and that was with a Krieger barrel. I thought anything would be accurate in that barrel.
What caliber are you loading?
Somebody might have a pet load they'd share with you.
Patience, and document each load so you can track what seems to help or not work.
When you test fire new loads, make SURE you are as consistent in your shooting as possible. YOU have to give the load a chance to do it's job, bad shooting technique was a problem for me when I started.
Old January 26, 2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Red_Eagle

He's got a Mossberg 100 ATR in 30-06
Old January 26, 2008, 11:25 PM   #5
rwilson452

Trial and error is the only way I know to get tot the most accurate load. In a 30-06 1:10 twist I would stay with bullets from 150-170 grain. Hollow points tend to do better than others. My rifle likes 150 gr sierra hollow points driven by R-15 and WLR primers. Weigh your brass and get the most with the closest weight. I would suggest you go with +/- .5 gr. get your bullet .02 off the lands. Pick a powder and work up .5 gr at a time. you should see the group narrow then expand out again. oh, fire 3 shot groups. once you think you have it the best you can. go with that load 5 shot groups and 2 .3 gr steps either side. this should fine tune it. when your as good as it gets start to vary the COAL Once you find the best COAL stick with it. At this point you can try different powders or primers or bullets of the same weight. but only change one thing at a time. If you want to change to a bullet of a different weight your back to ground zero again. yes, it's a long slow process. Keep your barrel clean. most rifles will take 3-4 rounds to settle in. I use the failed rounds to dirty the bore. For my hunting round build them the same way. just before the season starts i will go to the range and check my sight in. I will then leave the bore dirty until I'm done hunting. One last thing, if your building hunting loads shoot all your shots with a cold barrel. That is what your going to shoot in the field. For target loads shoot whatever you think is best for temperature in the barrel.
Old January 26, 2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Red_Eagle

Neck sizing will improve accuracy too. It'd be a little easier on your hand too, if you're still using that Lee hand press.
Old January 27, 2008, 01:01 AM   #7
mniesen89

thanks for the help

yeah its a 30-06 as eagle said, and i've done some upgrading! got a lee table mount press and even bought a lyman xp1000 scale.....the reloaidng bug bite is really starting to itch!!

as far as testing diferent loads and changing around components, thats what the guys at the range said....just didnt know if there was a easier process or a short cut i could take.
Old January 27, 2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Dogjaw

Start with a paticular load in a published reloading manual. Most manuals don't publish with what, in general, doesn't work.

Load with lower powder charges and work your way up. Not only to check for pressure signs, but to test accuracy with each change in load. Accuracy can go up or down with a paticular load in a given gun.

Check the manufacturers recommendations for a given caliber, and try not to commit to a certain powder just because you have it on hand. My powder of choice for 30-06 and 250 Savage is W760, 30-30 is W748. Others have their favorites.

Try different bullet weights. A guy next to me at the range was shooting a 5" group with a bolt 30-06 and 150 gr loads. I gave him 5 of my 180 Nosler Solid Base loads and he shot a 1-1/2" group. He bought 180 grain factory loads and his problem went away.

Bullet make and model is another factor. Don't get stuck on one bullet. In conventional speed loads like .270, 30-06, 308 etc, Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Remington are pretty equal on performance. Use what shoots best.

"Smoke a bullet". I color the bullet in a dummy round with magic marker. I then move the bullet out until I see land markings in the magic marker, then seat the bullet just off the lands.

The single biggest thing to do is only change one condition at a time.

Try different primers. Buy a single pack of 100 of several makes. You're not out much if they don't work out.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old January 27, 2008, 01:41 PM   #9
slotracer577

here are a couple of links on the subject.

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill...1/workload.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~dannewber...addevelopment/

John