The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 9, 2008, 12:18 AM   #601
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,461
Quote:
The serial number you listed shouldn't be a M15 serial number.
Doh!! Good catch, and I can't believe I missed that.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old November 10, 2008, 12:51 PM   #602
skeeter2575
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 8, 2008
Posts: 3
my 38

Yes, i went and looked at it too and confirmed that it was a model 15 and had the "D" prefix on the serial number. And it is a fixed sight frame. It is also a government model i think, it came from the Albuquerque, New Mexico Police Department if that helps.
skeeter2575 is offline  
Old November 10, 2008, 01:51 PM   #603
carguychris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 20, 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 5,403
Quote:
Yes, i went and looked at it too and confirmed that it was a model 15 and had the "D" prefix on the serial number. And it is a fixed sight frame.
If it has fixed sights, it's not supposed to be a Model 15.

OTOH incorrect factory S&W markings aren't unheard of. I'd get this one lettered.
__________________
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules... MARK IT ZERO!!" - Walter Sobchak
carguychris is online now  
Old November 10, 2008, 05:41 PM   #604
ruger4d4
Member
 
Join Date: April 5, 2008
Location: Leesburg,Ga.
Posts: 51
I just got a S&W model 10 #V968**. Any info about it would be appreciated.
ruger4d4 is offline  
Old November 10, 2008, 07:05 PM   #605
clwolfe01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 10, 2008
Posts: 2
I have just aquired a .38 Chiefs Special, Model 36-1, Blue finish, Round butt, 3inch barrell, Serial # 462XXX, and I am trying to figure out info such as the date of manufacture, how much it is possibly worth, etc. Can anyone supply me with any information. It would be greatly appreciated.
clwolfe01 is offline  
Old November 10, 2008, 07:06 PM   #606
skeeter2575
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 8, 2008
Posts: 3
my 38

Thanks for all your help.

David Durham
skeeter2575 is offline  
Old November 10, 2008, 10:49 PM   #607
carguychris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 20, 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 5,403
Quote:
I just got a S&W model 10 #V968**. Any info about it would be appreciated.
It's a Victory made in August or September of 1942. They're really coming out of the woodwork!
Quote:
I have just aquired a .38 Chiefs Special, Model 36-1, Blue finish, Round butt, 3inch barrell, Serial # 462XXX, and I am trying to figure out info such as the date of manufacture, how much it is possibly worth, etc.
It was made in the mid-1960s; it's in the middle of the 1962-1969 range. The 3" barrels are worth more than the 1-7/8" (aka 2") barrels because they're much less common. In my area, it would probably be $425-$475 LNIB, $300-$375 in very good shape, $250-$300 for a slightly beat-up "shooter". Add a slight premium for a flat cylinder latch (used until 1966), and if it has an adjustable rear sight, the value will nearly double.
__________________
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules... MARK IT ZERO!!" - Walter Sobchak
carguychris is online now  
Old November 11, 2008, 01:01 AM   #608
ruger4d4
Member
 
Join Date: April 5, 2008
Location: Leesburg,Ga.
Posts: 51
Thanks a million carguychris!
ruger4d4 is offline  
Old November 11, 2008, 10:09 PM   #609
Tamlin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 15, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 7
I've read through all 25 pages of this thread, hoping to find the answer to my gun's DOB - I am guessing 1985 - the serial number is AUU 74xx. (gun is a 629 .44 mag). Jim - how did I do? Thank you in advance. . .

Tamlin
Tamlin is offline  
Old November 12, 2008, 01:33 AM   #610
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,461
Quote:
I am guessing 1985 - the serial number is AUU 74xx. (gun is a 629 .44 mag). Jim - how did I do?
Close, the book shows AHC started Jan 86 and jumps to AVB starting Jul 87 so I'd say AUU to be 1987.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old November 13, 2008, 07:48 PM   #611
Tamlin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 15, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 7
Thank you very much!
Tamlin is offline  
Old November 14, 2008, 01:10 AM   #612
D-Ric902
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2004
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 371
I just got a new (used) one for you.
S&W 29-6
44 Mag
round butt
6 inch
Blue
Adj sights
sn# BST 8380

Thanks, I appreciate it.
__________________
It takes a small and petty person to be offended at another persons sig line on an internet forum. :barf:
D-Ric902 is offline  
Old November 14, 2008, 09:40 AM   #613
skeptiq
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 14, 2008
Posts: 1
Hello, I am new to site (1st post). I found this site while researching a S&W I inherited from my father when he passed away about 5 years ago.

Here's what I could find on the revolver itself:

32 Long CTG

Pat dates: 3/27/1894, 8/4/1896, 12/22/1896, 10/8/1901, 12/17/1901, 2/8/1906

Butt is stamped 97831

When the cylinder is open, near the hinge and on the frame is stamped: 50287 (belive this is the s/n on the yoke)

I believe it's a hand ejector (i.e. it is NOT breech open).

Nickel with mother of pearl handle.

The pic is not very good, but should provide a visual...

Any info as to age would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Ben
skeptiq is offline  
Old November 14, 2008, 04:53 PM   #614
Blacklab
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 14, 2008
Posts: 3
Help with model & year on a S&W .44 revolver

I inherited a S&W .44 revolver and amd having trouble pinnin down the model. I'd also like to know the balpark age. Here is what I have

I think the s/n is S 68947

I do not have the pistol with me but what I wrote down was

44 S&W Special CTG.

I think that came off the barrel but again I can't guarantee that as I was copying down info from several other guns as well. Just from searching the internet I think it is some version of the Hand Ejectors but not sure if it is 1st 2nd thrid etc.??? I hvae no knowledge of S&Ws

It belonged to my great grand father who passed sometime in the mid to late 50s but I have colts that were in the family that go all the way back to the late 1800s so there is no telling when he got this one. He was a constable in Texas from the early 1900 through his death in the 50s so there are many guns he ended up with ranging in age across that 50 year window. Any info would be appreciated
Blacklab is offline  
Old November 14, 2008, 08:37 PM   #615
WHEEL GUN MAN
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 14, 2008
Posts: 2
Help Please

I have an old 5 screw S&W .38 special, no model number. Serial number 519XXX , what do I have????
WHEEL GUN MAN is offline  
Old November 14, 2008, 08:51 PM   #616
AZroads
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 14, 2008
Posts: 1
Just bought a very nice 686-6 today and was wondering about its date of manufacture. Serial number is CFH3XXX. Thanks in advance.
AZroads is offline  
Old November 14, 2008, 09:06 PM   #617
kervinbojee
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 21, 2008
Location: land of 10,000 TAXES
Posts: 12
S & W model 67

Just purchased my first handgun and am curious of its BOD. Model 67
serial # 3K35xxx. Does 1973-74 sound about right?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I just love this gun and very happy with the results so far!

Last edited by kervinbojee; November 14, 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: adding info.
kervinbojee is offline  
Old November 15, 2008, 01:54 AM   #618
ssgtwaldo
Member
 
Join Date: March 4, 2008
Posts: 60
I have a S&W M-36 1-7/8 SN AHH25xx When was it made? Is it rated for +P?
__________________
DEFENSOR FORTIS
ssgtwaldo is offline  
Old November 15, 2008, 02:58 PM   #619
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,461
Quote:
I just got a new (used) one for you.
S&W 29-6
44 Mag
round butt
6 inch
Blue
Adj sights
sn# BST 8380
1994/95.

Quote:
32 Long CTG

Pat dates: 3/27/1894, 8/4/1896, 12/22/1896, 10/8/1901, 12/17/1901, 2/8/1906

Butt is stamped 97831

When the cylinder is open, near the hinge and on the frame is stamped: 50287 (belive this is the s/n on the yoke)
.32 hand ejector 4th change. Serial number is on the butt. 97831 = 1910.

Quote:
I inherited a S&W .44 revolver and amd having trouble pinnin down the model. I'd also like to know the balpark age. Here is what I have

I think the s/n is S 68947

I do not have the pistol with me but what I wrote down was

44 S&W Special CTG.
3rd model (1926 Model .44 Special) made 1947. Valuable and very desirable gun.

Quote:
I have an old 5 screw S&W .38 special, no model number. Serial number 519XXX , what do I have????
Sounds like a .38 Military and Police (early version of model 10) made in the 1930's.

Quote:
Just bought a very nice 686-6 today and was wondering about its date of manufacture. Serial number is CFH3XXX.
2004.

Quote:
Just purchased my first handgun and am curious of its BOD. Model 67
serial # 3K35xxx. Does 1973-74 sound about right?
Close, 1972.

Quote:
I have a S&W M-36 1-7/8 SN AHH25xx When was it made? Is it rated for +P?
1985. Not rated for +P but being all steel it would be okay.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; November 15, 2008 at 03:18 PM.
laytonj1 is offline  
Old November 15, 2008, 03:20 PM   #620
ssgtwaldo
Member
 
Join Date: March 4, 2008
Posts: 60
Jim, Thanks for the info on the 36....
Rusty
__________________
DEFENSOR FORTIS
ssgtwaldo is offline  
Old November 15, 2008, 08:34 PM   #621
kervinbojee
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 21, 2008
Location: land of 10,000 TAXES
Posts: 12
Jim,

Thank you for the information on my new to me S & W Model 67. It's my first, but I'm sure it won't be my last.

KB
kervinbojee is offline  
Old November 15, 2008, 11:32 PM   #622
WHEEL GUN MAN
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 14, 2008
Posts: 2
Jim,
Thanks for the info....
WHEEL GUN MAN is offline  
Old November 17, 2008, 12:50 PM   #623
cmsgt5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 21, 2004
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 10
year of manufacture

Greetings

I have a S&W model 19 snubby, AND79--.
Would like to know its date of manufacture. It is in fairly good condiition, I have had it only couple of years; but am thinking of doing action job and coating with black satin with AZ Response Systems. Not cheap, but they do good work.
I have heard some years were prime for production and others were not, so would be interested also if this gem would have been in S&W's prime. It does not seem to be a Fri afternoon production, but does show wear.
'
thanks,
cmsgt5
cmsgt5 is offline  
Old November 17, 2008, 07:05 PM   #624
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,461
Quote:
I have a S&W model 19 snubby, AND79--.
Would like to know its date of manufacture. It is in fairly good condiition, I have had it only couple of years; but am thinking of doing action job and coating with black satin with AZ Response Systems. Not cheap, but they do good work.
I have heard some years were prime for production and others were not, so would be interested also if this gem would have been in S&W's prime. It does not seem to be a Fri afternoon production, but does show wear.
1986/87. S&W did not have any prime years per se' but with that said, most collectors prefer the pinned barrel/recessed cylinder versions made pre 1982. After that would be the pre MIM/internal lock versions. ~97 for MIM and ~2001 for internal lock depending on model. And some folks who buy their guns just to shoot don't much care one way or the other.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old November 17, 2008, 07:39 PM   #625
jaybrad
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 20, 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 14
First S&W

Just got my first .357, an S&W 686. s/n starts with AJM22xx. Looking for an approximate age, etc.

It was a former police issue and looks/feels in very good condition. Nice feeling balance and trigger. Only put a couple dozen .38 through it so far, but looking forward to many more rounds in the years to come.

Thanks,
Jay
jaybrad is offline  
Reply

Tags
s&w 686

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 1.21094 seconds with 8 queries