The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 28, 2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Ocraknife

Ruger security six vs GP100

What are the main differences if any between these guns? Which do you like better?

-Jimro
Old January 28, 2016, 03:11 PM   #2
CaptainO

I loved my Security Six... until it was stolen. If I had my way, I would prefer to have the Security Six.
Old January 28, 2016, 05:21 PM   #3
LE-28

I have both, the security six is supposed to be stainless steel through and through, springs, screws, all the innerds. Really good field gun that will stand up to just about everything someone can put it through.

The GP100 isn't all Stainless Steel but the GP100 has a full underlug on the barrel and I have to admit, handles recoil better than my Security Six does because of the extra weight.
The double action trigger on my Security Six just plain sucks because it is a different trigger group than the GP100 uses and it is hard to use. Single action is fine.

I had the double action on my GP100 worked on and it is silky smooth, I can't get the same results on the Security Six that I got on the Gp100 with getting the same gunsmith to do the same thing to it because of the difference in the trigger groups.

Now if you spend a lot of time in the woods and this gun will be getting wet a lot, or you may fall in a crick, the SS may be the better choice. Both models will both take a lot of punishment.

I shoot a lot of double action so my SS stays home most of the time.

So depending on what your looking to gain from owning one or the other, You will have to make a decision on what is more important to you.

Or do like I did and buy both. I have to admit I shoot my GP100 a lot more than my Security Six because of the difference in the triggers. I can see myself trading the Security Six in on something else someday. My Gp100, I will keep.

That's my take on it.
Old January 28, 2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Ocraknife

My brother has a 4" security 6 the he wants to sell. I'd like it for a fishing/woods gun. How much is it worth? And since he claimes he lives me and stuff what should I offer using my brotherly you-might-need-my-kidney-someday discount?

-Jimro
Old January 28, 2016, 08:18 PM   #5
Ocraknife

Btw I had a GP100 stainless I bought about 15 years ago brand new. That was a tack driver. I think I paid $350 ish brand new

-Jimro
Old January 29, 2016, 07:30 AM   #6
Salmoneye

Ruger has no parts, and will not service the Security Six line (Security/Service/Speed)...
Old January 29, 2016, 08:03 AM   #7
Crazy88Fingers

I bought a Security Six (blued, 4") a couple of years ago for $300 out the door. I think they're a little more expensive nowadays. The main difference between the two is the size. The Security Six is just about the size of a S&W K-frame, whereas the GP is slightly larger and, I presume, heavier. For the prices they go for, you'd be hard pressed to find a better/stronger .357.

Also, Ruger still had some parts for it when I got mine.
Old January 29, 2016, 08:05 AM   #8
BBarn

In addition to the differences listed so far…

The cylinder on the GP100 is larger than that of the Six series (comparable to the difference between a L and K frame Smith).

I consider the most important difference the use of a crane latch on the GP100.
As good as the original Six series of Rugers was, I regard the GP100 an improvement.

The main “advantage” to a Six series would be the lesser weight.

I currently own a Service Six. I’ve always wanted a GP100, but the circumstances has never been right for me to acquire one.
Old January 29, 2016, 09:33 PM   #9
Cold Steel

It depends on what one wants to use the gun for. If you're going to be using it to shoot hot, magnum rounds at an indoor range, the GP-100 may be your best bet. But then, so may the S&W 686 which, in my view, is a better, more accurate gun with a far better action.

On the other hand, if you're going to carry the gun for hiking, camping, hunting and self defense in the wilds, I'd go for the Security-Six every time. I'd also go with the Speed-Six when I could. Most people carry .357s than shoot them when used outdoors. Especially chilling are the spirits of unexpected close encounters with black bears. I don't want my only choice to be limited to choosing between an SP-101 and a GP-100. No one really complained about the Security-Six's recoil when that was Ruger's flagship .357.

The action on my Ruger Security-Six is smooth and light. Once you change the springs and dry fire it a thousand times, a Security-Six will be just fine. But I'm not looking to lug a heavy .357 for miles just so the recoil will be less for a few magnum shots. And if I'm going cross country and need a quick, powerful gun with outstanding stopping power, great penetration and superb reliability, it's not going to a boat anchor. I'll take the Ruger Security-Six or a S&W 66 any day over these under-lug monstrosities.
Old January 30, 2016, 10:35 AM   #10
mrt949

Security Six .
Gets my vote .
Lighter to carry.
Old January 30, 2016, 11:18 AM   #11
amd6547

I owned a 4" stainless Security Six a few years ago...it was a great revolver.

But, the 3" GP100 I own now is a much better shooter for me.
Old January 30, 2016, 10:17 PM   #12
Model12Win

The GP100 is a pig. It's a joke.

The Six series guns were tremendously better for duty carry. Lighter, better triggers, more svelte. The GP100s are TANKS. People love to point out that they're FAT TANKS, BIG 'OL METAL CHUNKY FAT TANKS.

Guess what?

A .357 magnum doesn't have to be a FAT TANK. The GP100 is overweight, ugly, just less desirable in every way over the Six series. They should never have discontinued the Six guns.
Old January 30, 2016, 11:38 PM   #13
ElVaquero

My Two Cents' Worth

I just had to jump in here. I own two Security Sixes. One is a stainless version with 2 1/2" barrel, the other a blued 6", Both have great triggers - crisp, no creep on double action, clean break on single action. They are light, strong, balance well in my hands and are especially pleasing to the eye.

I have never owned or fired Ruger's new version, but my business partner has a GP 100, which is heavier overall than the Security Six, due in part to the full-length underlug that he likes, but he never carries it either.

That said, I have fired stout magnum loads through both my Security Sixes. They are both more accurate than me and the recoil is modest, allowing for quick recovery for follow-up shots.

Ruger made a big mistake when they dropped the Security Six line. If I can find a 4" model, blued or stainless, in good condition, I will buy it.
Old January 31, 2016, 02:57 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

Had a 4" GP since they first came to Canada. Difference is the weight, barrel under lug and the grip frame. GP doesn't really have one.
http://stevespages.com/ipb-ruger-singlesixcf.html
http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_gp100.pdf
Exploded drawing is at the bottom.
Old January 31, 2016, 11:18 PM   #15
Deaf Smith

My Speed Six, on the left, and 3 inch 'Canadian' GP100 on the right.

GP is maybe 2 ounces heavier. Both excellent guns. But of the two, I use the GP100 and my 'Sixes' sleep.

I highly recommend the GP.

Deaf
Old February 1, 2016, 12:09 AM   #16
shootniron

You can get parts for the GP100...Security Six, not so much.
Old February 1, 2016, 08:52 PM   #17
lowercase

Deaf

I really like the look of that 3" GP without the full underlug barrel. I own 2 of the 3" GPs. They are great guns, but I always felt that the full underlug detracted from their looks.
Old February 2, 2016, 07:37 PM   #18
9ballbilly

I've owned both and prefer the security six. Both are great guns IMO, but I like the look and feel of the six better.
Old February 3, 2016, 02:54 AM   #19
Deaf Smith

Lowercase,

Yes the underlug does detract.. And makes it weigh more than it needs to weigh.

And same GP with a dao hammer.

Deaf
Old February 3, 2016, 07:44 AM   #20
UncleEd

I prefer the GP100 and especially the 3-inch fixed sighted model although my 4-inch is extremely slick. The Security Six is perceived to be lighter but really not by much.

Just as Smith mostly pushes the L-frame today, Bill Ruger was right in deciding on the GP which is, of course, an L-frame.

As a few others have said, the GP is easier to slick up and I love its lockup.

The Match Champion style is one i think Ruger should pursue more, i.e. the
lugless flattened barrel.

Not having a traditional grip frame is a plus as well for interchanging grips
and cutting weight. Today Smith sort of achieves the same thing by making all the grip frames rather short and rounded.

As others have said, getting parts for the Security Six is near impossible.
Luckily, Ruger built and builds their pistols and revolvers to last and last and last.

One alternative is to consider any of the newer or older Smith K-frames
since the Security Six is not readily available nor reparable.
Old February 4, 2016, 10:12 AM   #21
jackmoser65

Quote:
The GP100 isn't all Stainless Steel
I don't believe this is correct.

Quote:
The GP100 is a pig. It's a joke.

The Six series guns were tremendously better for duty carry. Lighter, better triggers, more svelte. The GP100s are TANKS. People love to point out that they're FAT TANKS, BIG 'OL METAL CHUNKY FAT TANKS.

Guess what?

A .357 magnum doesn't have to be a FAT TANK. The GP100 is overweight, ugly, just less desirable in every way over the Six series. They should never have discontinued the Six guns.
And yet it weighs the same as a comparable L-frame. My 6" GP weighs the same as my 6" skinny barrel K-22. Don't be so dramatic.
Old February 4, 2016, 03:29 PM   #22
TimSr

I bought a 6" Security Six new in the 80's. Got a great deal from a chain store. Then the GP100 came out, and a year or so later I found one at a gun show. I sold the Security Six to my brother, and I still have the GP100. Both are fine guns, The GP100 felt a little beefier, but nothing that really made it bulkier or less comfortable than the Security Six and I loved the factory grips. Those early 6" GP100s did not have the full length barrel lug of today's.

Old February 4, 2016, 03:40 PM   #23
Salmoneye

There were various GP100 barrel lengths with the 'half-lug'...

Here is my KGPF-340 (4") from 1989:

Old February 6, 2016, 04:36 AM   #24
b.thomas

Originally I was looking at ether the four or six inch model of the gp100.
I found the six inch to be way too barrel heavy, the four inch was bit too but not to bad... Then I saw a Security Six way in the back, all by it's lonesome.
It was a '82 model .357 mag, stainless w/6" barrel and as tight as either of the gp100's. Once in my grubby hands I fell in love, hardly a turn line, really nice trigger and half the price of the gp100................it came home!
Other then cob webs in the barrel and such....a little bit of oil and a good cleaning took care of everything.
That about three years ago or so.................
Old February 6, 2016, 05:26 AM   #25
Deaf Smith

3 inch GP100 weighs 36 oz. 2 3/4 inch Speed Six weighs 33 1/2 oz.

No big deal folks. I have 'em both. Either one of them will do well.

Deaf