The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 5, 2016, 07:42 PM   #1
oneloudvous

Smith and Wesson 625 JM

After considering many double action revolvers, I finally settled on a 625 JM.

Primarily for the chambering- I enjoy shooting 45 and already keep 45 ACP on hand for a 1911. For some odd reason I like revolvers that fire semi auto cartridges (like my ruger new model blackhawk in 357 and 9mm). Ammo cost was also a factor considering 44 magnum and 357 magnum costs.

Im hoping to pay off the layaway quickly, any tips from owners especially regarding moon clips (planning to order some of the RIMZ moon clips), moon clip tools, and *leather* holsters (although it will rarely be carried).

Thanks for help in advance, Im really looking forward to this purchase as it will likely be my last for awhile.
Old July 5, 2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Radny97

These are essentially designed by S&W to make major factor in USPSA's revolver division and the short wide loads make for some very fast reloads with moonclips.
They are made to be carried OWB, drawn quickly and and shot *fast*. My only recommendation is to use it occasionally for the purpose it was designed for. Very fun gun. Enjoy!
Old July 8, 2016, 11:25 AM   #3
robert1804

You will enjoy that gun! I bought a new one last year. I have both BMT and TK Custom mooning tools for 45 and 9mm. The BMT tools are a little easier to use but more expensive. TK tool works very well and is a good value.

One thing I noticed was felt recoil in the 625 is greater with the same load compared to an auto pistol. In my gun, factory ball ammo is not real accurate. I consider 625's a reloaders fun gun. Mine really wakes up accuracy wise with reloads. Bullet that won't cycle well in many autos work very well in a 625. Plus, if you reload, you can use 45 Auto Rim brass (uses the same dies) and do away with moon clips. Lightly loaded plinking and target rounds that are too light to cycle in an automatic become inexpensive fun in a revolver!
Old July 8, 2016, 11:37 AM   #4
smee78

The 625 is just plain fun to shoot, I love shooting mine. I think it is one of my favorites and would never be sold. I put a pair of Ahrends on mine and love them, they just seem to mold to my hand. Good luck with your new purchase, hope you dont have to keep it on lay-a-way to long.
Old July 11, 2016, 05:49 AM   #5
RJM52

I had two of the earlier pre-IL I believe 625-7 PC guns that had 5" barrels. Sold one to a guy in California and another to one of my best friends who collects .45 ACP revolvers...he still has it.

Very accurate and easy to shoot. Much more accurate that the 25-2s I have had. Never had any issues with mine and they shot just as well as a good 1911...

This was 10 yards DA with 230 ball...

You got a great gun...

Bob
Old July 11, 2016, 12:59 PM   #6
DMY

You'll love it

I have yet to read any negative comments about 625s other than the color of the JM grips and people who regret selling them. I was a Colt guy and only have one S&W, which is a 625-2. As mentioned, it is a reloader's dream. Shoots everything very accurately and my 5" barrel has less felt recoil than my 1911.
I have only purchased steel moon clips from Ranch and Wilson. Both were good, but needed a little beveling to ease loading of cartridges and closing the cylinder (my gun is very tight). Keep the flat side of the moon clip facing the receiver (as opposed to the cylinder). As for leather, I had a little trouble finding one to fit a 5" barrel. I bought a Safariland 567/568 belt and paddle combo, which does not state that it is compatible with a 5" 625, but it is. Hopefully, you will have less trouble with a 4" barrel.
Enjoy it.
Old July 14, 2016, 10:41 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
any tips from owners especially regarding moon clips
Contact these people great to do business with and very reasonable in price
www.revolversupply.com

As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 14, 2016, 12:11 PM   #8
MrBorland

North Mountain (4wheelguns.com) is another vendor to check out. Bob Perdue is an active supporter of the competitive wheelgunner scene, and his stuff is top notch.

Quote:
any tips from owners especially regarding moon clips
Get one of these...

http://www.bmtequipped.com/products.php

A bit pricier than other mooners/demooners, but you'll thank me later (especially if you've actually used other mooners/demooners beforehand ).
Old July 19, 2016, 05:10 PM   #9
zonker5

For range work you can't beat the Rimz plastic moon clips. No tools to fool with and they last a good long time.

Only time I would go with metal clips is if I was shooting in competition and needed speedy reloads.
Old July 19, 2016, 05:40 PM   #10
oneloudvous

Thanks for the responses,

I ended up ordering a deluxe moon clip tool and some metal moon clips, but plan on ordering some of the RIMZ moon clips eventually. If I'm unhappy with the deluxe moon clip tool after some use I will likely order a BMT.

The only holster Im really considering at this point is a desantis speed scabbard, as the price point is nice and this gun will only sparingly in the winter.

Im really excited to pick this gun up within the next few weeks. Sounds like it should be a real shooter!

Ive recently been pondering getting into reloading- this gun very well might push me over the edge!
Old July 19, 2016, 05:54 PM   #11
DaleA

Reloading .45 ACP must be one of the easiest cartridges to load. It's what I started on and I got good results when I knew very, very little about anything.

Reloading lets you shoot more and the S&W 625 will probably be a real shooter! Nice gun, moderate to low recoil with the large frame (N frame) and hopefully very accurate.

Don't forget us when you get a range report (with pictures of course).
Old July 20, 2016, 05:01 PM   #12
mchapman

have and use both mooning devices, the BMT is really nice, if I were you I would stick with the metal moonclips, I tried the plastic rimzs and they broke if dropped on a hard floor and in high heat at the range the cartridges would not stay in them the plastic moon clips got soft and most rounds would fall out. They sounded like they would be great to use with no tools required, but they were a big disapointment for me.
Old July 21, 2016, 12:29 PM   #13
P.A. Dutchman

Well unfortunately I cannot agree with the rest of my fellow revolver shooters regarding the 625JM. I love S&W revolvers, but this one was the worst revolver I have ever owned. At the time I was shooting 3 gun tactical and I choose to use a revolver. I have an S&W 586, 357 Mag, 6" barrel using speed loaders that I love. Decided to get the 625JM and use moon clips. First trip to the range with it I had 2-3 failure to fire with light primer strikes out of 6 shots every time. Did some research and found the firing pins were modified to pass some CA drop test. I had a gunsmith order and install a new firing pin that was 10 thousand of an inch longer and that solved the failure to fire problem. Next the trigger pull was too stiff for double action competition. Purchased and installed a lighter Wolff spring which made the trigger pull very nice, but then the failure to fire started again. Put the stock spring back in and all rounds fired but had the stiff trigger pull issue back. By that time, over the course of a year trying to balance both problems, I had enough and traded it in for another firearm. I wish you luck and hope yours is hassle free. As for me well my opinion is they are highly overpriced and unreliable.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #14
Don P

Quote:
First trip to the range with it I had 2-3 failure to fire with light primer strikes out of 6 shots every time. Did some research and found the firing pins were modified to pass some CA drop test. I had a gunsmith order and install a new firing pin that was 10 thousand of an inch longer and that solved the failure to fire problem. Next the trigger pull was too stiff for double action competition. Purchased and installed a lighter Wolff spring which made the trigger pull very nice, but then the failure to fire started again. Put the stock spring back in and all rounds fired but had the stiff trigger pull issue back. By that time, over the course of a year trying to balance both problems, I had enough and traded it in for another firearm. I wish you luck and hope yours is hassle free. As for me well my opinion is they are highly overpriced and unreliable.
First off if you choose to lighten up S&W hammer springs then you need to reload and use FEDERAL PRIMERS ONLY A competent gun smith could slick up the trigger and make it feel smooth and light. My 625 was fluffed and buffed by a S&W armorer and has a double action trigger pull of 6 1/2 lbs, and is smooth as glass. Its evident from the issues you had that you ignorance (lack of knowledge) with regards to revolvers was you biggest obstacle, not the gun

As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.