The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 14, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

I Can't Seem To Break Away From Carrying A Revolver

I've carried a 642 for a long time. It's nothing special, but I trust it. I carry it any time I am wearing jeans or casual pants. If I am wearing sweats I'll carry an LCP even though I would really rather be carrying the 642.

I can't tell you how many small 9mm autos I have picked up thinking I was going to make the switch to get the extra two rounds only to sell them before I even shoot them because I can't get to the point where I will give up the 642. The only mini-9 I have left is a CM9. I keep thinking I want to move to a 9mm because ammo is cheaper plus I get the extra two rounds.

I know revolvers can fail, but they are not really ammo sensative like some of these mini-9s can be. I basically can go buy any self defense ammo and I am good to go (yes, I know POI can change with different bullet weights and such but they will still go bang and be pretty close).

Anyone else try to switch and then just give in to the revolver?
Old December 14, 2014, 06:16 PM   #2
dahermit

Having grown up when the revolver was still the standard for police, "...because autos jam...", I may be biased, but I have never used other than a revolver for concealed carry. I own and shoot three autos, .45 Combat Commander, .38 Super Combat Commander, and a Browning H.P., and have owed small 9MM, but I want the simplicity of a S&W 36, or Taurus 85 snubbie for pocket carry. They have no safeties, are always ready to fire. No worries about malfunctions. In short, I have never been tempted by an auto for concealed carry.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old December 14, 2014, 06:30 PM   #3
2damnold4this

When I was younger, I pocket carried several different autos. The first was a Heritage Stealth. It was easy to shoot and it carried ten rounds of 9mm. One day, the striker assembly flew out the back while shooting and was lost in some brush. The next firearm I tried to pocket carry was a Taurus PT145. Fully loaded, it wore out pants pockets quickly so it got traded for a Marlin rifle. The next auto in my pocket was a G26. The G26 is easy to shoot accurately but its shape didn't lend itself to a smooth draw from a pocket. I still have the G26 but it gets carried in an OWB holster.

The only firearm I pocket carry now is a 642. It doesn't weigh much and is easy to draw from a pocket. I have it with me almost all the time.
Old December 14, 2014, 06:39 PM   #4
orionengnr

I've owned probably a half dozen j-frames. Sold them all after buying, shooting and carrying my PM9 for a while.
Bought a 637 about a year and a half ago, to give the j-frame another chance. It is a neat revolver, but it ended up living in the safe; my PM9 is still in my pocket.
Old December 14, 2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Catfish

I am a wheel gun fan also. For CCW I cary a 329 S&W or an air weight J frame. At present I have 4-44 mag. wheel guns, plus several other wheel gun in different cals. but have only owned 1 semi auto centerfire in my life.
Old December 14, 2014, 07:54 PM   #6
KMAX

Ain't nuthin' wrong with a revolver for cc.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 14, 2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Sevens

I love wheelguns and my range days are typically 50% on either platform every single trip. I choose to carry a semi-auto however.

My pure belief is that each guy can & should find his own comfort zone. For me, that means the chance of pistol failure exists -BUT- is quickly and naturally rectified. The chance failure I have experienced with revolvers or not easily rectified and usually become some problem that must be rectified much later and usually at home. Common? Definitely not. Real? For damn sure certain.

Even still, I believe the next guy armed with his favorite revolver is well armed and I'm extremely happy that another good guy has chosen to go armed among us.
Old December 14, 2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Joespapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
Having grown up when the revolver was still the standard for police, "...because autos jam...", I may be biased, but I have never used other than a revolver for concealed carry. I own and shoot three autos, .45 Combat Commander, .38 Super Combat Commander, and a Browning H.P., and have owed small 9MM, but I want the simplicity of a S&W 36, or Taurus 85 snubbie for pocket carry. They have no safeties, are always ready to fire. No worries about malfunctions. In short, I have never been tempted by an auto for concealed carry.

I am in this camp. I have owned various semi auto's including a couple of 1911's. Every time I started to carry one I would become extremely uncomfortable . Probably irrational but real never the less. I have finally wised-up and given up. I will stick with revolvers for carry....just don't trust a semi, ANY semi.
Ymmv!
Old December 14, 2014, 08:59 PM   #9
sgms

Carry what you are comfortable with. You like it, you trust it, and will probably do better with it than with something else. If the 2 extra round are really that important to you start some serious reloading drills. With enough serious practice and confidence in your abilities with a fast reload the extra 2 round may not be a worry anymore.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:17 PM   #10
mk70ss

My EDC gun is a S&W 649 in .357. I shoot it well, it shoots exactly to point of aim with 125 gr .357 ammo, and it hits hard on the receiving end.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:26 PM   #11
CajunBass

I carry a revolver because I like revolvers.

If I ever happen to need something else, well, I'm just having a really bad day.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 14, 2014, 09:30 PM   #12
boondocker385

I regularly carry a S&W model 66 snub....or a glock 22. ..go figure.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:41 PM   #13
jglsprings

I've never been "high speed - low drag". More like lots of drag no speed - but anyway...

I've carried autos for work a lot. I can train people on autos and if I think I'll need more than my J frame can supply I carry a Glock - or I don't go there.

Unless your job puts you in harms way - carry what you like, are proficient with and will carry all the time. All the other internet / gun rag / gun show noise is just that - noise.

Commas save lives...
Old December 14, 2014, 10:18 PM   #14
Sevens

Quote:
and if I think I'll need more than my J frame can supply I carry a Glock - or I don't go there.
I need one of those "see in to the future crystal balls" that you have!

I think your option #2 "I don't go there" is the right option

I always find it humorous when folks carry "light" or "go heavy" depending on their perception of possible threat. One of my friends routinely drops a .22 Mag NAA minirevolver in to his pocket when he runs down to the gas station to fuel his motorcycle or get food for the lawn mower. I think that idea is ludicrous.

This is kind of like selecting WHICH spare tire to drop in the trunk depending on the terrain and weather, or which fire extinguisher to keep in the garage depending on the project of that particular summer.

I swapped a Glock 19 that I didn't care for to a local forum buddy for his Smith & Wesson Model 60, a J-frame five shot .357 Magnum. It was a very nice revolver. And he had bought it new and liked it a lot. And it was interesting when I went to meet up with him for the transaction, because he told me that he would likely be the only 6-foot-7, 300+ pound guy waiting for me in that parking lot for our day time transaction.

He liked that Model 60 and .357 Magnum ammo. But when he, being of his size and stature was approached and then surrounded by THREE young men, he found himself reconsidering his 5-shot J-frame.

To the best of my knowledge, he still carries that Glock 19.
I shot the J-frame for a while and later sold it. It was interesting, well made, and absolutely NOT something I enjoyed. Away it went.
Old December 14, 2014, 10:18 PM   #15
Model12Win

I've been a "revolver man" from when I first shot my Dad's S&W Model 37 when I was a kid.

I'm 23 now, so you don't have to be an "old timer" to have grown up with and love revolvers!

Truth be known... I carry a S&W 642 as my EDC and use a Ruger GP100 .357 magnum for home defense... so all my defensive handguns are in fact revolvers, and you know what? I feel just fine about that.

☆ .357 MAGNUM CTG. ☆
Old December 14, 2014, 11:49 PM   #16
tallball

I am the same. I very much prefer to carry a 38 or 44 snubbie. I will carry my tiny 380 if it is the only thing I can conceal in light summer clothing, but I never feel quite as confident in it. I have been shooting for over 35 years. I have had the admittedly rare semi-auto problem due bad ammo. I have never had a revolver failure. Other people have had other experiences, but my own confidence level is based on my own experiences.
Old December 15, 2014, 01:49 PM   #17
ZVP

Many have tried to switch but also many depend on the reliability of a revolver. It's stated all over this Forum, no need to repeat the why's here.

A good semi auto is just as reliable but it takes work and testing to get it where the revolver is judt out of the box!
I particuarilly prefer the snubby about 75% of the time and a 4:HB Model 10 the other 25% open carry.
The Model 10 is superblly accurate S/A and in good hnds, just about as good, D/A! Not my hands...
For me the 4" HB is just right for it's great sight picture good sight raduis and large grip.
However, the little Model 36 CHief is suprisingly accurate, hits HARD for a small gun, and shoots a wide variety of ammo! It conceals easilly and carrys any way easilly.
Learning to shoot it well is a task but not insurtable.
The ONLY semi-auto I completelly trust is my little Berrets 21 .22 LR Rimfire, It's flawless!
I'll still carry the revolvers.
ZVP
Old December 15, 2014, 03:58 PM   #18
TimSr

I have no doubt that if the need arrises, I will be shaking full of adrenalin, and probably not able to think well about mechanical details of the gun I carry. I don't want to have to remember whether the safety is on or off, or whether there is a round in the chamber. I want to pull it out, and pull the trigger, and hear/feel the report each time I do. I carry a .35 snubby hammerless.
Old December 15, 2014, 04:03 PM   #19
Zathras

I own 3 1911's, a springfield XD9 sub compact 9mm, a 380, and some others...what do I carry every day?? Smith & Wesson Model 36 snubby, made in 1995. I just love the gun for CC, and grew up in the old school days when it was thought to be the best, and in my opinion, still is..Occasionally I carry the XD , but for the most part, its the 36, with a speedloader..I feel confident and more than safe with it.
Old December 15, 2014, 08:59 PM   #20
Noreaster

If the caliber is adequate, then carry what ever feels best to you. Being able to fire quickly and accurately makes up for capacity.
Old December 15, 2014, 09:08 PM   #21
gbclarkson

I also prefer a revolver for carry. The reliability and heavier DA trigger pull is reassuring. Automatics travel from safe to range and back.
Old December 16, 2014, 11:26 PM   #22
DannyB1954

To show that I am not a pistol hater, I have a number of ccw pistols. Glock27, S&W Shield, Taurus 709Slim, Taurus PT111Gen2, Diamondback DB9, Ruger SR9c, and SigSauer P290. I have been carrying a S&W Bodyguard 38. The curved handle of the revolver seems to print a whole lot less, and grabbing it is like shaking hands with an old friend. My next go to gun is a Ruger SP101 357Mag loaded with 38SPL +P, (it is a bit heavy)

Capacity is not a big issue for me. I don't expect to be chasing after bank robbers with rifles. I would say that 99% of the bullets that one shoots will hit something. If I spray out 17 rounds, where are all the "extras" going? I am not in the military, collateral damage is not acceptable.
Some might say just be damned careful with every shot. OK but I still wouldn't have 17 targets to shoot at. even if you shoot each target twice, I don't think I will have 8 targets to shoot at. Put a bunch of rounds into someone, and their family lawyer is going to be asking you in court, did you try to stop them, or kill them.

Last edited by DannyB1954; December 16, 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old December 16, 2014, 11:54 PM   #23
Nick_C_S

In California, a CCW allows you to carry up to 3 specific guns. I have two semi-autos, and one revolver on my permit.

That's right, I'm most comfortable carrying my S&W 686+ 3" - going away. It's not even close. It's a little large, so an extra layer (windbreaker) is needed to ensure concealment. That's why I like this time of year

Took it to the range Saturday for a good shoot. Put 160 defense level rounds through it. Took it home. Cleaned it. Then put it back in my holster to go run errands. Love carrying my big fat magnum.
Old December 17, 2014, 06:17 AM   #24
Hammer It

Hi
I have mainly carried a S&W J-frame revolver in life, but I do carry a High Standard derringer chambered in .22 W.M.R. Cartridge as well. They are very accurate and never fail to go off, and lay flat in my Jean's Pocket. Regards, Hammer It
Old December 17, 2014, 07:21 AM   #25
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm totally a revolver guy ( note my forum name )

but as of late, I've been carrying a TCP in 380 nearly every day... it was cheap, functions perfect so far, even if embarrassingly stuffed with pocket lint...

I'm spoiled by it's thinness & lack of weight... & cost... & even though I'm a desk jockey Monday thru Thursday, on Friday I'm doing maintenance at the plant I manage, & Saturday & Sunday, I'm doing much physical work around the farm, which could damage my gun, or expose it to very sweaty conditions for 10-12 hours at a time... so cost of wrecking my EDC is something I have to take into consideration...

but I do shoot a revolver better than an auto, & have been trying to get back into carrying a revolver... all that reliability blaa blaaa ( though my TCP has been flawless when used on farm varmints every couple months )

so I just bought a plastic Ruger snubbie in 38 +P hoping to get myself back...

... it's just hard to do, when you find an auto that works well for $200.00 & to replace it with a revolver that cost twice as much, & holds one less cartridge