The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM   #1
lunger

Ruger Single 6 or 10?

Thinking of a single action 22.Have a few semis and double actions.I think it is between these two choices.

Cost differences seem minimal. Use would be mainly target and occasional plinking. So almost all would be 22lr. The extra capacity not really an issue.

I can't see many situations where I'd use the 22 mag but if no down sides it may be nice to have that option.

I have heard accuracy a little better with the Single 10 because it is a dedicated 22.This has me leaning toward the 10.

Experience or opinion?
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM   #2
osbornk

My friend has the Single six and I have the cheap Rough Rider Copy. If the price was similar, I think I would go with the Single ten. My semi-auto 22s both have a 10 round magazine and I think that is a reasonable number before reloading.

I would not worry about getting the mag cylinder because I bought it and only shot it to make sure it would work. Besides being an expensive ammo, I found that mag ammo in a revolver to be painfully loud.
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #3
Ricklin

More accurate

While I like the flexibility you do trade off some accuracy.

My single six was more accurate with the magnums vs. .22 LR. I did not test this extensively, more a seat of the pants observation.

And yes the magnums do bark, loud little buggers.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

The flexibility of the extra cylinder outweighs any accuracy loss, it's not enough to be noticeable by the average shooter.

It's loud, yes, but you do wear hearing protection, right?
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
While I like the flexibility you do trade off some accuracy.
I have often heard this. The barrel on the convertibles is supposedly sized for the magnum bullets and slightly oversize for .22LR, so LR's don't shoot "well" or "as well", depending on who you listen to.

I've had a Super Single Six since the 80s, and somewhere, I have a couple of partial boxes of magnum shells, (bought when $6 a box was EXPENSIVE ) that I got, just to see what they were like.

Other than that, ALL my shooting with the gun has been with .22LR and I have no complaints about the accuracy, however, I can't recall the last time I ever shot a group on paper with it.

For me, my Single Six is a plinker and fun gun. I'm good enough with it to hit fired shotgun shells at a dozen yards. (ok, I WAS good enough a couple decades ago..)

I have no personal experience with the 10 shot model, my personal preference is for 6 shot revolvers.
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #6
weblance

I have a Single Ten, and 2 Single Six convertibles. I have used the WMR cylinder a couple times, but because of the cost of ammo, it doesn't see much use.

My Single Ten is definitely my favorite. For plinking, the 10 shot capacity is great. The Single Six simply runs out of ammo too quickly. The Single Ten is very accurate, in my hands, I don't see any difference between it, and my S$W 617.

The fiber optic sights are nice too. My Single Ten is stainless 5.5"
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #7
smee78

Between the two I would go with the Single 10, the revolver is slow to reload and if the extra rounds can fit then why not. I sold my Single Six with both cyinders to my son and am on the unt for a single 10 (or another 32 if I could find one locally).
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #8
hdbiker

Single 10

Is the new Single 10 a convertible ?
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #9
2damnold4this

Some people like the .22 Magnum but it's not for me. If I want more power than a .22lr in a revolver, I'll go with a .32 or .38. I don't think you can go wrong with either but the Single Ten sounds good to me.
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #10
lunger

Single 10 is not convertible
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #11
Waspinator

I like the single six. I know, I know... you will have to reload more often. But, it's my opinion that the single action 22's are for the fun factor and going through the motions of manipulating the actions of an older design more than anything else. In my opinion, reloading the single action is part of the package. I like the whole procedure of the loading, unloading and firing.. it is a slower pace than when I shoot something more modern or that holds more rounds. And.. I like that.. it is a relaxed pace that I enjoy. So, I would buy the single six.

Just my take on it
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #12
jackmoser65

Single Ten, more is better.

Quote:
I have heard accuracy a little better with the Single 10 because it is a dedicated 22.
Myth, barrels are the same and have been since 1968.
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #13
tallball

I had the 22 magnum convertible and almost never used the magnum cylinder. It is silly. I use the 45acp one a lot, but buying the 22 convertible was a waste of $.
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #14
jackmoser65

You really have to need the .22Mag for varmint/small game/predator hunting to appreciate the .22Mag. For range use and plinking, it offers very little.
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #15
lunger

Thanks for the replies. I think I am leaning even more toward the single ten.Just seems to fit my needs. I am going to look at one tomorrow.
Old Today, 06:44 AM   #16
CajunBass

I've never tried a single-ten, but I hear people say "Well you can shoot longer."

Doesn't it take longer to load and unload it? Seems to me it would be a wash in the long run. Or so close it really wouldn't matter.

Not saying you shouldn't get one, I just don't see why that would make much difference.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old Today, 08:05 AM   #17
Magnum Wheel Man

in the end.... it's up to you...

Me... I'd prefer a Single Six, & I've had a a Single 10, & disliked it enough, that I used it as the base for a custom gun...

My problem with the Single 10, is with reloading... or more specifically, with unloading... the cylinder clicks don't put the chambers & ejector rod in alignment, & with the chambers so small, & close together, if I was in a hurry, it was very easy to go just a bit too far, when rotating the cylinder & missing a spent case, causing me to have to go all the way around a 2nd time... I've never had that issue with the 6 shot cylinders, so I assume it's because the chambers are so close together...
Old Today, 08:16 AM   #18
TimSr

I have a Single 6 convertable. I think the internet accurracy tales orginate from somebody who was much more talented than I, who might have noticed that the jacketed bullets used in .22 Mag tend to give slightly better long range accurracy than the all lead bullets typically used for .22 rimfire.

You lose a lot of velocity going from .22 rifle to pistol, and I really like the magnums for critters beyond squirrel size like groundhogs.
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #19
ratshooter

I think JackMoser65 told you right. I cannot imagine ruger making barrels .001 apart in bore diameter. That would be .0005 per side of the barrel. Thats an extremely tight tolerance for even a CNC machine to hold.

Its really not important because I have never measured a 22 lr bullet that was less than .224 in diameter and most were .225 or bigger so they fit the .224 bore of the single six just fine. Plus they are soft lead and will slug up to fit the bore.

For me I would prefer the 6 shot gun with the extra cylinder in 22 mag. The 22 mag is a noticeable step up in power over the 22lr round. Plus they have a real jacketed bullet if you stay away from the CCI stuff with its plated lead bullet. Its not a plinking round but darn good for hunting. And I like options.

One thing not mentioned is that every 9 shot 22 revolver I have owned has a smaller, weaker looking ratchet on the cylinder and may not be as durable as the ratchet on the 6 shot gun. But to be fair I have not seen the back of the cylinder of the 10 shot gun. But the cylinder on the 6 shot gun is really strong looking. I may be choking on gnats too.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"... Albert Einstein
Old Today, 07:42 PM   #20
Model12Win

Get the 10.

More shots. Simple. More firepower is NEVER a bad thing.