The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 12, 2015, 01:50 PM   #1
DirtyHarold

3" SP101/Model 60 pocket holsters

hey all, I know there's already plenty of talk about the shorter barrel revolvers pocket holsters, but I can't find hardly anything on the 3" models. I specifically own an SP and I just ordered one from Sticky and it was only $25 so I figured what the hell.

Anyone know of any other pocket holsters for the 3" models?
Old August 12, 2015, 02:32 PM   #2
Doyle

While my SP101 is a 4", there is no way I'd consider a 3' SP101 to be a viable pocket carry length. Just too long. Even the 2.25" model would only be a "maybe". I've pocket carried a S&W J-frame airweight and 3 separate autoloaders for years. Anything larger or heavier than what I've been carrying, I would just consider too big for anything other than "cargo pants" size pockets.
Old August 12, 2015, 04:25 PM   #3
rodfac

It's not the bbl. lenght that's the problem, it's the weight. It's just Too heavy for pocket carry. But I do carry my 3" M60 in an OWB holster of my own construction. Rod
Our Flag is unfurled by the dying breath of our patriots in uniform. Cherish and honor it, defend what it stands for or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over.
USAF Forward Air Controller, 5th Spl Forces,
An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73
Old August 15, 2015, 05:41 AM   #4
Real Gun

My SP101 (3 of them) and Model 60 do not share the same holster fit. The SP101 is a step child when it comes to holster options.
Old August 18, 2015, 01:56 AM   #5
DirtyHarold

well thanks for all the helpful answers..........................................

ive got deep pockets plus it doesnt weigh any more than an average carry glock with a fully loaded mag. its also for things like when i use it as a backpacking gun, i can put it in the holster then put it in the backpack or wherever is convenient so it can have some protection.

right now i have a sticky holster that works for it but its technically meant for the taurus judge 2". its not that bad as a pocket gun because its long and slender, as opposed to a semi auto that has (basically) a right angle in it.
Old August 18, 2015, 07:22 PM   #6
thibaultfelix40

I like to carry in my right REAR pocket. I use a cheap nylon holster with a velcro restraining strap wrapped around the holster not retaining the gun. I shove this in my back pocket. When I grab the handle of the gun the gun comes out slicker than owl grease and the holster stays put. This works especially with a snubby but 3" holsters are hard to find. A 4" holster works on my belt with the tip shoved into the back pocket and provide good coverage for the gun. When you are looking for unconcealed carry, some of the conceald features may not apply like exposed triggers. Perhaps a holster could be put on a back pack strap. I have read recommendations for fanny packs,shoulder holsters, and bandoleers.
Old August 19, 2015, 05:37 AM   #7
Real Gun

Nothing to offer on holster ideas, but if you really want a pocket gun, dump the SP101 3" and get an LCR or lightweight S&W snubby. There is a reason why you can't find the right holster. The whole premise is off base.
Old August 20, 2015, 01:29 AM   #8
Skeets

Might try DeSantis Factory.They make their Nemisis line for many models.quality is excellent
Old August 21, 2015, 06:42 AM   #9
SgtGunner

I love my 3" model 60, but locating a production holster for it was a true PITA. After many months of looking and several not so great purchases I ordered a belt rig from Milt Sparks and could not be happier.

I cannot imagine trying to pocket carry either it or my sp101 though.

Still havnt found a decent rig for my 2' sp. For now on the rare occasion that I carry it (usually out with the horses) its either on my saddle or in a safariland paddle holster for a model 19 that is probably 25+ years old.

"Semper Fidelis"

"Life is too short to carry a little pop gun...Make mine .45ACP"
Old August 22, 2015, 06:11 PM   #10
Real Gun

Model 60-10 fits beautifully in DeSantis 001-03. The Sp101 doesn't fit that holster. The Bianchi 7 is my choice for best SP101 fit in 3". That's if you like thumb breaks, and these actually fit over the hammer.
Old August 23, 2015, 08:34 AM   #11
Auto5

I love my 3" SP101, but it's not a pocket gun. As a backpacking gun, I carry mine OWB with a cover garment, usually an angler or photographer vest.