The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 4, 2009, 12:46 AM   #76
EZerRider

Wilson Combat ADP 9mm range mini-test- AFTERMATH

I very carefully followed mfgs. instructions on disassembly but had real problems removing the bolt blocker. When I was finally able to get the bolt out of the slide, the extractor and the retaining spring (which was like a fine wire) came loose from the bolt so quickly I didn't get a chance to view their position for reassembly. After thorough cleaning, and despite tediously following the reassembly instructions step-by-step, the slide would not snap back into place. Thinking it was a reassembly error due to the poorly documented User's Guide filled with 'pictures' of internal parts that looked like they were 4th generation Xerox copies of a kindergartener's drawings, I tried again and again to properly reassemble the weapon. I knew it was not right after getting it close enough for the slide action to appear normal but failing to even be able to chamber or eject a round without firing. I shipped it back to Wilson's Gun Shop for inspection and repair, thinking I may have damaged the extractor. I'm still waiting for a verdict from Wilson whether it's going to cost me additional to get it returned to me in working cond. I never had this problem with a Ruger P94! Putting this weapon back together was a nightmare! I've reassembled numerous weapons without a problem in the past, but this one requires gunsmith tools and experience. I'll get it back and carry it until I have to fire it, then I'll just field clean it and trade it at a gun show - I'll never remove the bolt from the slide again on this overpriced POS! I'm doing serious research on an HK P2000 SK as a replacement. I highly recommend avoiding this tinkertoy at all costs.

Last edited by EZerRider; March 4, 2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old March 4, 2009, 12:58 AM   #77
Rich Miranda

Quote:
The ADP is a 'production grade' polymer 9mm that is imported... Not made by Wilson combat.
If they continue to have significant quality issues, the above will be a mistake. They sully the Wilson name by putting it on lesser-quality products.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:03 AM   #78
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

The $150 Heritage Stealth $600 Wilson ADP: Proof that a ____ and his _____ are soon ______. Fill in the blanks. Ready? Go!
Old March 4, 2009, 08:52 AM   #79
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
If they continue to have significant quality issues, the above will be a mistake. They sully the Wilson name by putting it on lesser-quality products.
They already have in my view.
Old March 5, 2009, 02:24 AM   #80
lechiffre

could be worse..........

at least the slide goes forward when it flies off the frame.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old March 5, 2009, 02:55 AM   #81
Rich Miranda

Quote:
...at least the slide goes forward when it flies off the frame.
OK, you have to come and put my son back to sleep because he woke up when I laughed loudly at this.

Seriously, for Wilson, that is a good thing! Replacing a $600 gun is better than replacing a $600 gun and paying untold thousands for face repairs!
Old March 7, 2009, 03:45 PM   #82
StoneyFF

Quote:
Jams, they shouldn't happen in a carry gun. There are plenty of guns out there that run 100% right out of the box, there's no reason to trust your life to a gun that jams even once in 58 rounds.
There are any number of excellent and in some cases quite expensive guns as well as any number of experts that all tell you that you have to put several hundred rounds through any weapon to break it in before considering it a reliable carry weapon, either as a primary or a back up gun. If you feel that a couple of jams in the first 100 or even 200 rounds makes a gun unreliable as a carry weapon, you're welcome to your opinion, but don't tell others that, please, because it's wrong.

Any jams from a well maintained, clean gun after a proper break in period (and that varies from gun to gun, depending on how tight the gun is to begin with) is certainly something not to be ignored, especially in a carry gun, but a couple of jams in the first 50 rounds out of a gun is probably more typical than exceptional... regardless of price or quality. In fact, the tighter the gun, the more likely to get a few jams or failure to go fully into battery during the break in period.

Stoney
{who only trusts guns that have been proven reliable... the individual gun, not the brand or model... but who is willing to give any gun a chance to prove itself.}
Old March 7, 2009, 09:54 PM   #83
EZerRider

Wilson ADP mini-test - Aftermath

I honestly haven't the extensive experience you're referring to with SAs, so I can't speak from personal experience above the fact that perhaps I took for granted that my Ruger P94 fired during CHL qual NEVER jammed after 50 rounds. However, I reiterate that my experience with both firing and maintaining this Wilson Combat ADP left me with with a lot more to desire for the price out of my personal carry weapon. That said, I'll carry my Ruger SP101 until my HK P2000SK 9mm is delivered in 2 weeks. Then my Wilson ADP will be sold on consignment to some other poor sucker for pennies on my hard-earned $. I'll never buy Wilson again.
Old March 7, 2009, 10:07 PM   #84
skydiver3346

Wilson ADP:

Sorry to hear about your problems with the 9mm ADP Wilson. I have never owned this particular model because I don't own a 9mm. But, I have other Wilson Combats (1911 models) and have never, ever had one moments problem with either. I have shot God knows how many rounds down range, (without one jam, hangup, etc and all types of .45 ammo too). I don't know much about that knock off ADP model but Wilson Combat should take care of this to your satisfaction and would personally ask for Bill Wilson, instead of other folks at his company. Definitely sounds like a mfg. defect.
Old March 8, 2009, 04:13 PM   #85
Stevie-Ray

This took place over a year ago.
Old April 20, 2009, 08:59 PM   #86
aroth109

I purchased an ADP several months ago as an impulse buy due to the name coupled with price, hand fit, weight, and concealability. While waiting my 10 days here in CA, I started reading all the horrible reviews. When I took mine to the range, I was pleasantly surprised that I had no problems and was able to qualify with a pretty tight group. I have shot it a couple times without any problems, but recently decided to sell it because it sits in my safe, as I usually carry my Glock 27 due to the .40 cal round and the added size not being noticeable with my winter clothes.

I took the gun to my local shop and put it on consignment. Someone purchased it, but changed their mind within hours after reading up on it. The person was later allowed to shoot it at the range with supervision from the shop manager, and I heard a 50 round box went through it with no failures proving to be acurate in someone else's hands as well. The person still decided not to purchase it after contacting Wilson Combat and being told it was discontinued.

So now my issue is that the gun is sitting on consignment in a shop, but may never sell. I have thought about re-claiming it since it is probably more valuable to me sitting in my safe rather than at the gun shop.

I guess my reason for sharing my dilemma is the fact that I have had nothing but good experiences with my ADP, but have been swayed by the negative reports on this gun. If not for all the problems I have read about, I would recommend this gun highly. Unfortunately, I feel I may be on borrowed time with a gun that is performing perfectly now, but ticking away waiting to fall apart or send the slide down range when I need the gun to perform. I estimate the gun has just fewer than 150 rounds or so.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by aroth109; April 20, 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old November 7, 2009, 08:53 PM   #87
GirlShot8

Sounds to me like someone was messing with your gun and did not put it back together properly. I have had my Wilson ADP for about 3 years now. I have put quite a few rounds through it when I first bought it. The person I bought it from did not like it because he said it would jam on him. Well the ADP is NOT a range gun. If you do use it as a range gun you MUST clean it or else it has the possiblity to jam on you because the it's not a spring its a gas that it uses. But the ADP is by FAR my favorite concealed carry weapon, I absolutely love it. I know that it will work when I need it and it is nice and light. I have recently just bought a Walther PPS and I am curious as to how it's going to match up with my ADP. The ADP has a gas loaded firing pin so it reduces the recoil, the PPS does not have this so I am looking forward to comparing these two because the ADP has yet to disappoint me in anything. But you can't just assume that ADP is a bad gun because someone who did not know what they were doing decided to take it apart.
Old September 7, 2012, 02:34 PM   #88
Tucsonjj

Herd mentality

Just an outdated note on the ADP. I recently found one and bought it... so far (400 rounds) it has functioned flawlessly. It is accurate, light, low recoil, decent capacity, very smooth and concealable. The fit and finish are top notch, easily as good or better than Glock, and worthy of Wilson. I believe Wilson felt that the gas system, similar to the HK P7 was worth the effort. Yes, there were a few relatively minor issues which were quickly fixed. Yes, the gas system heats up and also needs to be cleaned more often than standard spring systems, yes, it does not make sense to run 500 rounds thru it in one range visit. Many here has jumped on the bandwagon to "beat up" a really fine pistol... if you don't like polymer, fine, but most negative comments were from members who never owned an ADP. This pistol beats hell out of any Kel-tec. Walther or Ruger CCW piece, and, IMO is superior to any sub-compact Glock due to size and weight. If they are indeed crappy, why are their none online for sale, except one on Armslist for $799?
Old September 7, 2012, 02:37 PM   #89
Tucsonjj

Final

Oh, and Wilson dropped it... not because it was not a fine pistol, but due to then wanting to sell ONLY way overpriced 1911's chock full of MIM parts... a poly pistol, even a fine one at a reasonable price, did not fit their marketing schemes.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:16 PM   #90
Frank Ettin
Staff

Old thread -- nothing to see here.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread