The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 20, 2008, 02:11 PM   #1
rabid_rob

Help With Tear Down: Mossberg 935

Looking at the owner's manual first...

And here's mine:

Looking closer, I see there's a split ring:

It appears to be holding onto the piston, but slides off easy with a small bit of prying:

But there a fixed, upper ring (red) that prevents the gas piston (blue) from coming off the magazine tube...? This upper ring is not shown in the manual, and appears to be part of the magazine tube or press-fit onto it?

Anyway, how do I get the piston and the rest of the parts off the magazine tube?

Also, when the magazine is empty and I tip the shotgun up and down, I can hear something (maybe a spring?) sliding back and forth inside the magazine...is this normal?
Old January 20, 2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

WOW!! the gas piston and ring should come off with the barrel, the piston spring and ring will usually slide out of the barrel as an "assembly" there is no need to take these apart because you can clean them without disassembly.

I think you need to soak it real good, in some penetrating oil, I like CLP Breakfree...

How long between cleanings did that go??? Or, was it dunked???

As far as something sliding inside the mag tube, it's probably the plug...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton

Last edited by Smitty in CT; January 21, 2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old January 23, 2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Smitty in CT

Any Luck yet???

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton