The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2008, 10:05 PM   #1
bigbuck270

most accurate mid priced 1911

I am looking to buy a mid range 1911 (not a les baer and not a tauras).
I am looking for the most accurate 1911 out of the box. By accuracy I mean going to the range and shooting targets against my buddies. I have been looking at colts, kimbers, sigs, S+W ect.

What I want to know is, is there a model that is inharetly more accurate? What are you guy seeing at the range? I will let you know what I am thinking after I see what you all think.

One more thing, I would like a gun that is completely made in the USA.

thanks

Chuck
Old January 18, 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Dobe

If it is to be strickly range work, I would look at the Kimber Target. You may be able to find a pre Series II for a good price.
Old January 18, 2008, 10:50 PM   #3
sholling

In the $900-1000 price range I'd go with the SW1911 with adjustable sights. Go handle a few in the shop. You should be able to find an example with a 3.5-4lb trigger. It's going to be as accurate are you or I are. I'd also look at the target version of the Springer 'Loaded' for right around $1000. Expect a bit heavier (5-6lbs) trigger from the target Springer. Both have lifetime no bull warranties, and if you can live with fixed combat sights you'll save about $50-100.

The next step up is the SW1911DK for about $1100 or a Springfield Trophy Match for about $1300.

Then there is the ultra accurate PC1911 for a lot more.

In reality the base SW1911 is going to be more accurate than most people that I know.
http://www.gunblast.com/1911_ShootOff.htm

Last edited by sholling; January 18, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old January 18, 2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Expect a bit heavier (506lbs) trigger from the target Springer.
Wow...I do not think I could budge that trigger.

My Springfield loaded has one about 501lbs lighter than that.
Old January 18, 2008, 10:55 PM   #5
UniversalFrost

I love my springfield mil spec.

It was the most accurate out of the box 1911 I have, but it did take about 500 rounds before it was broken in and it does have a bad habit of throwing the brass everywhere even when I tweaked the extractor.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 18, 2008, 11:03 PM   #6
SilverState

STI Trojan for around $900
Old January 18, 2008, 11:27 PM   #7
sholling

PBP,
I eats me spinach.
Old January 18, 2008, 11:42 PM   #8
Colubrid

actually any name brand 1911.

Accuracy has to do with barrel lockup and how tight the bushing is. Just check the barrel lockup on a 1911 before buying and pick the one with the tightest barrel lockup. Then spend $85.-$100. for a smith to have a match bushing put on AS NONE OF THE 1911 COME WITH TIGHT BUSHINGS.. A match busing has to be so tight that you need a metal wrench and a rubber mallet to get it off. That is a true match bushing.

Anything else has to do with personal preference. Like checking the trigger for creep (before you buy) and GOOD sights help a lot to.

But for the guns accuracy the barrel lockup and a matching bushing that IS FITTED PROPERLY IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS ON A 1911.

All of the 1911's under $1500 don't have a match bushing that is fitted. bHowever, FOR AROUND $100. a competant 1911 smith THAT KNOWS WHAT a true match bushing is, can install one that is fitted to your barrel.

Slide loosness has very little effect on accuracy and a full length guide rod has no effect at all. A simple short GI guide rod is fine.

IMO buy a SA mil spec. Pick one with the tightest barrel lockup and have a smith install a fitted match bushing. that gun will be as accurate as a $4000. 1911. Second thing I would get is a crisp 3.5 trigger job and third good sights.
Old January 18, 2008, 11:51 PM   #9
Rogueone

STI, SA/Kimber. I'd also toss in the Sig GSR Revolution. Are any Sig's not nice ?
Old January 18, 2008, 11:54 PM   #10
Colubrid

Another thing--Is when foks say their XXX brand has the best accuracy right out of the box means nothing. 1911's vary from gun to gun within the same manufacturer. One SA mils spec can have a loose barrel lockup and looser bushing. The other not. .. But a bushing is never tight enough. If they were tight you could not remove them with a plastic busing wrench that comes in the box.. They sell metel bushing wrenches to remove fitted match bushings and that costs another $15-$20.

So all you really need is:

*Pick a 1911 with a tight barrel lockup..$500-$750 for the gun
*get a match bushing fitted to the barrel by a gunsmith..$100.
* metal bushing wrench-$20

Total
:between $620- $870. for the most accurate 1911 anywhere.
Old January 18, 2008, 11:58 PM   #11
Colubrid

Oh and if you do not know how to check the barrel lockup have a friend that knows show you how. And then have them show you a real tight one so you know how to compare what is tight and what isn't.

Tight bushings cannot be checked during purchase as you need a vice and a metal rod. But again, if it can be removed by hand it is loose. If it is tighter it requires a little torque with the wrench then thats ai little better.. If it is a match bushing then you need a metal wrench as a plastic one will break.

Just get a fitted match bushing job for those 1" groups at 25 yds. ..with the right loads and sandbag rest and lots of practice the gun will still shoot better than you. of course..
Old January 19, 2008, 12:21 AM   #12
Playboypenguin

I think most quality 1911's will be more acurate than the shooter straight out of the box. I know all of mine are very accurate in bench tests but not so much in my hand.
Old January 19, 2008, 12:22 AM   #13
sholling

Quote:
when foks say their XXX brand has the best accuracy right out of the box means nothing.
Things have changed my friend. It just depends on the brand and model. For example the Springer Mil-Spec has a notoriously sloppy bushing to barrel fit. Swapping in a Bar-Sto bushing did wonders for mine. The Springer Loaded is in general much tighter, although the occasional sub-par may slip through. The S&W in general has a very tight fit. Yes it's good to check several examples but in general a box stock S&W or springer loaded will hold a tighter 25 yard group than most of the people on this forum can without benefit of a ransom rest - and will have a warranty.
http://www.gunblast.com/1911_ShootOff.htm

If the warranty isn't an issue then having a smith build up a Springer loaded or a SW1911 with a fitted bushing and a trigger/action job isn't a bad idea at all. But few will see any benefit without a ransom rest.

Old January 19, 2008, 10:34 AM   #14
Colubrid

Stolling,
None of these production 1911's have bushing that you can't remove without a metal wrench and rubber mallet. So its really all the same wiggle room. Meaning they are to loose.

The barrel lockup is the main thing to look for when purchasing a 1911. That does not cost extra and then if you want a 1911 that gets 1" groups at 25yds then a fitted match bushing installed is all you need. The rest is shooter assisted:

good trigger
good sights
good ammo
Old January 19, 2008, 12:24 PM   #15
Cloudpeak

My Springfield loaded SS seems to be fairly accurate and it doesn't have a tight bushing. I think it represents a pretty good value and I really enjoy shooting it.

Cloudpeak
Old January 19, 2008, 08:05 PM   #16
bigbuck270

thanks for the replies.
I talked to a few people today and several say the Kimber is pretty impressive and made completely in the US. A few people did mention the SW but not as many.
Old January 19, 2008, 08:26 PM   #17
Deadduck

Nothing wrong with Kimber. I've got the custom classic (base model) and it's been great. I don't have a match bushing, nor do I want one, but mine shoots a lot more accurately than I do.
Old January 19, 2008, 08:27 PM   #18
Cloudpeak

If you're not in a hurry, it might not hurt to spend some time looking through these two great forums and doing some research on the various makes you are considering:

http://forums.1911forum.com/
http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

Might want to do a search on "customer service" & "warranty" just for the heck of it.

Cloudpeak
Old January 19, 2008, 09:02 PM   #19
StuMan

To bad you cant get Norinco's. 300 bucks new. I hate Chinese crap, but I put 400 rounds through one today at the range at at 25 yards it was pretty awesome.
Old January 19, 2008, 10:15 PM   #20
Perldog007

I know you said 1911, but my range gun is a Hi Point jcp .40. If you want to mess your buddies up get a hi point .45 . Blowback and fixed barrel can provide accuracy unexpected in such a cheap ugly thing.

In 1911 I had a milspec SA that was okay, but for serious target work you may want more accuracy.

What I see at the range cutting cloverleafs are expensive production (SIG, S&W, S.A., KIMBER, WILSON, etc) 1911's operated by folks who tinker with handloads to find the pet load.

My next one will likely be a pt1911, I would rather have a G.I. .50 - but I like sleeping indoors and I am married to a lady who would move me to the back forty for bringing something costing that much home, less'n it was a car

_DOH_! almost forgot, before I got my XD I tried a Ruger P345 - also not a 1911 but a tackdriver. Then there's the XD .45 which I own a sample of, also not a 1911 but is accurate beyond your wildest dreams.
Old January 19, 2008, 10:31 PM   #21
shepherddogs

Kimber gets my vote. Pay no attention to the Kimber haters.
Incidentally Springfields are made in Brazil.
Old January 19, 2008, 10:33 PM   #22
jimmy123x

Get a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. 1" at 25 yards and all of the bells and whistles you need. 100% malfunction free.
Old January 19, 2008, 10:36 PM   #23
Perldog007

Quote:
Incidentally Springfields are made in Brazil.
not the plastic ones like mine, croatian tupperware it sez on the slide

I had forgotten that their 1911s' were made way down south.

Quote:
Kimber gets my vote.
Work with a young man that swears by his Kimber target killing machine. I have read nasty things but never met a Kimber owner that had a problem, or heard negative scuttlebutt at the range or hanging with the gunsmith shop crew.
Old January 19, 2008, 10:47 PM   #24
velocette

+1+ on what Colubrid's three posts told you. The man speaks the truth.

I can only add that you can get all the things he talked about by buying a standard 1911 & sending it to Irv Stone at BAR-STO in 29 Palms CA. & having a new match Bar-Sto barrel, bushing & link fitted & installed. You will then have a 1911 that will be as or more accurate than 99.5% of all 1911s. From there, its up to you. Trigger control, Breath control, Sight alignment. Practice Practice Practice Practice. Did I mention Practice??
I know, I built a 1911 bullseye pistol, Caspian Frame & Slide, Bar-Sto match barrel, bushing & link, Austin Behlert hammer & sear, Wolf springs, etc. From a Ransom Rest, it shot 1 1/2" groups at 50 yds using Remington 180 grain SWCs & 3.6 grains of Bullseye over Federal primers. (mind you this was not just a one or two groups, it was a consistent performance as I verified each batch of handloaded ammo) I won a lot of matches with that pistol and it still shoots great today after 20 + years of shootin.

If you build your 1911 right, you'll be shooting it for a long long time and enjoying your initial investment every time.

Roger
Old January 20, 2008, 01:08 AM   #25
Colubrid

Quote:
My Springfield loaded SS seems to be fairly accurate and it doesn't have a tight bushing. I think it represents a pretty good value and I really enjoy shooting it.

Cloudpeak
Cloud,
Do those targets say 48 feet? That is like 15yards. Big difference between close range and something out to 25-50yds.

-_________________________________________________________

Big buck270,

Don't visit these forums because there are a bunch of deseased people there. if you go there you will get infected and spend every last penny on frequent new acquistions for the rest of your life and your wifes life.

I