The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1
bluedog

M&P Owners!

I have looked at the S&W M&P and it handles nice! I am seriously thinking about purchasing one......I would appreciate hearing from all of you who own/shoot one as to what you think about the M&P now that you have been shooting one? Pros vs. Cons - problems - issues? Thanks, Billy
Old January 16, 2008, 12:08 PM   #2
sholling

I'm an old 1911 guy but the first time I handled a M&P I just had to have one. I bought the full sized 45acp version and love it. So much so that I bought that the compact version of the 9mm. The M&P9c is now one of my favorite pistols. I'm actually planning two more M&Ps for '08. Without a doubt they have the best ergonomics of any pistol currently on the market. They are also deadly accurate for a service pistol and it's becoming very popular in IDPA.

A couple of things to note...

The very early compact 40s had a problem with dropping magazines. It was a defect and has been rectified. S&W has a lifetime warranty and amazing customer service.

Some triggers are a tad gritty when new (mine 9c was perfect) but they smooth out and become silky smooth in about 200rds.

A cottage industry has sprouted offering a bewildering array of custom options.

The $50 rebate and two additional free mags by mail offer is still good through the end of the month.

Awesome pistols!!!
Old January 16, 2008, 12:20 PM   #3
darko

I have the M&P9. So far it has been perfect out of the box. Zero problems and shoots exceptionally well. Some triggers tend to be gritty out of the box, mine was not. Thus far I am 100% pleased with mine and would highly recommend it based on my experience. Ergonomoics are definately far improved over the Glock but I have'nt shot it enough to make a firm statement on overall durablility/reliability in comparison to it's Austrian counterpart.

28:06:42:12
Old January 16, 2008, 01:30 PM   #4
klcmschlesinger

I have a very early MP40 and it has been great. No problems, great ergos, and makes even me look like a descent shot. I almost bought the 45 about a week ago, but I am working on cutting down on my impulse buy and sticking to the game plan.... Wish me luck.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old January 16, 2008, 01:55 PM   #5
woodspirits

I bought a new M&P9 in Aug., 2007. The first hundred rounds with FMJ's it performed OK but I was disappointed with overall quality. The next 100 rounds the mags started falling out while firing. Then I lost a mag with it in the holster while carrying (scary with a loaded mag bouncing down the sidewalk). After that incident, I realized that I could activate the mag release button while holstered and in the carry position by small pressure to the carry side of the holster. The pressure to activate the mag latch button was lighter than any pistol that I have seen.

Next, I was unable to find any hollow-point ammo that would not jam against the feed ramp.....and I bought many brands with no success. It would feed FMJ's fine. Also, it exhibited more rail peening that I felt was normal.

Yea, I could have sent it back to S&W but after reading (on the M&P forum) of the many who were returning their M&P's for the same problems and receiving them back with "band-aid" fixes, I decided to do my own fixes.

I ground the mag release button down to reduce the over-sized protuberance, changed the entire latch mechanism, increased the tension to the latch, polished the feed ramp to a mirror-like surface, etc., etc.

The best cure was the order of a Glock26 a month after the purchase of the M&P. It was perfect right out of the box. And that ugly little pistol that never felt right in my hand at the gun-shop quickly did not look so ugly and I found that my hand also quickly adapted even without a mag extender.....very comfortable to carry.

Needless to say, the G26 is now my trusted carry gun. The M&P is now functioning fine (even with JHP's) but it will be a while before I will trust it to anything but range duty. And add recent reports of broken strikers, broken rails and other problems on the M&P forum, I wouldn't buy another M&P for several years. And one Glock does not make me a "glockaholic". In fact, I am now waiting for Ruger to work out a few of their "teething" problems with the SR9 and this will likely be my next polymer pistol.....also would like to try a Sig.

Yea, many report zero problems with their M&P's but unfortunately many of these problems are not showing up as soon as mine did......keep your fingers crossed. In the meantime, I am happy for you and may your good luck continue. I would sincerely like to see the M&P succeed.
Old January 16, 2008, 01:57 PM   #6
JohnO

I bought a used M&P 40. Went to clean it before taking to the range, could not get the barrel out. Brought it back to Gander Mtn, where I bought it. They sent it to S&W. They made it right. Great shooting and might be my favorite non 1911. Am seriously considering adding an M&Pc 9mm.
Old January 16, 2008, 02:12 PM   #7
sholling

Quote:
Yea, I could have sent it back to S&W but after reading (on the M&P forum) of the many who were returning their M&P's for the same problems and receiving them back with "band-aid" fixes, I decided to do my own fixes.
I'll just post a link to some words of wisdom written by someone that I respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Green of Pistol-Training.com
But you’ll hear about broken rails and springs at Glock Talk, improperly assembled guns or poor finishes at SIGForum, or mag drops and feeding problems at MP-pistol.com. Not every day, but read about the problems people have experienced over the past few months and you’ll see that no brand is immune to mistakes.
Old January 16, 2008, 03:26 PM   #8
hargroderauto

I also bought my M&P fullsize 9mm in August 0f 2007 S#MPM2***. It has been flawless through 1700 rounds. No misfires,FTE'S or mag dropage. This is by far the best handgun I own. Perfectly balanced and dead on accuracy when I do my part. I would highly recommend this firearm and would trust my life with it. The trigger broke in after about 400 rounds. The only Mods I have done to it is to install a FO front sight, not that it needed it but because my eyes are not what they used to be.
Old January 16, 2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Texas Armadillo

Last week I got to shoot a M&P9c. I only put one mag through it but my initial impression was positive. Nice trigger and as accurate as other short 9's I've shot. I would like to shoot one again with a longer mag in it though, to see if the grip feels better to me.
Old January 16, 2008, 05:00 PM   #10
ShootingNut

Bought my MP40 in late 06', it has eatin' anything I put in her, from factory to my own reloads. Nary a problem of any kind, would highly reccomend the
MP to anyone.
SN
Old January 16, 2008, 05:21 PM   #11
Impreza

I have a 1st run M&P9C and love it!
Old January 16, 2008, 05:23 PM   #12
amagoh

really like my m & p

I have 5 1911s, but my daily carry gun is my M&P 40. I did find out that the right one of the three palm pieces made all the difference on my accuracy. The smallest was on it first time I shot it and I could not hit a thing. When I put the largest of the three on it, it seemed I could not miss.
Old January 16, 2008, 05:32 PM   #13
woodspirits

Quote:
I'll just post a link to some words of wisdom written by someone that I respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Green of Pistol-Training.com
But you’ll hear about broken rails and springs at Glock Talk, improperly assembled guns or poor finishes at SIGForum, or mag drops and feeding problems at MP-pistol.com. Not every day, but read about the problems people have experienced over the past few months and you’ll see that no brand is immune to mistakes.
I also respect Todd especially for his tenacity in promoting the M&P. But his opinion does nothing for changing MY honest experience with MY M&P.......and I am certainly not the only one who has had these problems with THEIR M&P's. I did not wish or witch it that way......but this is exactly the way it happened. As I stated in my last post, I am happy for both you and Todd.
Old January 16, 2008, 06:05 PM   #14
Moe Howard

I bought an M&P 9mm the week they came out. 3000 rounds later it has been flawless in every way. It is probably my favorite range gun.
Old January 16, 2008, 09:15 PM   #15
Logs

My M&P 9mm has worked flawlessly. I use the large grip backstrap. Great gun for the money. Trigger is tons nicer than the Sigma.
Old January 16, 2008, 09:21 PM   #16
heatho

I purchased my S&W M&P9 FS last year. Its my first handgun, and I love it. I haven't had any issues with it either.
Old January 16, 2008, 09:32 PM   #17
KyJim

I bought a full size M&P 9mm last summer because of the ergonomics. It was my first "plastic" gun and has been 100%. I purchased the compact 9mm before Christmas but have not had a chance to shoot it yet.
Old January 16, 2008, 10:01 PM   #18
Diesel1

I bought a M&P 9 with crimson Trace grips for myself and a M&P 9C for my wife for Christmas. We've shot about 600 rounds through each without a hiccup. Great guns as far as I'm concerned. The only con is now I have to decide if the Glock 22 sits on my hip or the new S&W.
Old January 25, 2008, 09:47 PM   #19
geez768

Have seen glocks stop working, have seen sigs have their finishes peel right off, have seen 1911s of different companys stop working. long story short if you like the gun and "YOUR" example shoots well with no stoppages then enjoy it, shot it alot and carry it with pride.
Old January 26, 2008, 01:11 AM   #20
DBotkin

I've only got a couple hundred rounds through my M&P 40 Compact, but I like it a lot. It's my first plastic gun (and my first .40 S&W), and I'm pretty impressed. It has worked perfectly with factory Magtech and a pretty wide range of handloads. I'll be headed back to the range tomorrow to try a new batch of handloads, this time with plated bullets instead of JHP.

I full expected it to be picky about feeding some of the loads I tried, but it's not -- and the recoil isn't that much different between the light and heavy loads.
Old January 26, 2008, 11:48 AM   #21
Dobe

Quote:
Well put. In my years of shooting, I have yet to find the perfect handgun.
Old January 26, 2008, 01:13 PM   #22
tydephan

I have bought into the M&P Series of pistols.

I find the ergonomics to be unmatched in a polymer gun. I shoot it better than my other polymers.

Out of the four, the only trouble I have had was with the M&P9c. It had an issue with the mag release binding, and thus locking into the "release" position, not allowing a magazine to lock into place. I called Smith and explained the issue and asked for advice on how to fix it myself. They said to send it back. They emailed me a prepaid label. I shipped off the gun. 10 days later that gun was back in my hands sporting a new set of comped night sights. The gun was fixed without costing me a dime, plus they added a set of $120 night sights at no cost. Now this type of charity is the exception and not the norm, but still their Customer Service is top notch.

Last edited by tydephan; January 26, 2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old January 26, 2008, 01:43 PM   #23
Dobe

I like the looks of that two-tone.
Old January 26, 2008, 06:48 PM   #24
bobn1955

I've had my M&P 9 for a few weeks, put something like 800 - 1000 rounds of WWB and 60 rounds of Speer 115gr Gold Dot HP through with no FTFs or FTEs. Only thing that even looked like a malfunction was one single failure to lock back on an empty mag, but it was on a very limp-wristed (unexpected, but still down-range) shot.

Otherwise no issues, 2-handed, strong or weak handed.

I think I've got a good gun here. Of course, the design is only 2 years old and the gun is only a few months old....

The changeable grips are great. 3 sizes to chose from, even my tiny hands fit well.

For $50 bucks more than the basic I got Trijicons factory installed - a real nice option.

Currently, mail in for $50 rebate and 2 free mags. May end soon, though.

That said, there are reports at mp-pistol.com of various issues.

I think Todd's point is that these days, almost any manufacturer can ship a less-than-perfect gun. The designs aren't frozen in time for us (like they are for the military), and price competition causes changes as time goes by and takes it's toll on QC. So with any gun, you'll really have to qualify that individual weapon. Not to say that a long reliable track record is meaningless, (I still lust after a Glock's record, but the handle feels awkward to me), but maybe not as meaningful as we'd like to believe.