The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2008, 02:18 PM   #1
freetrapper

Knoxx Spec Opps Stock

I just picked up a Mossberg 590 that I really like. It has had several additions already including a full butt stock w/pistol grip, 6 shot side saddle and a SureFire Forearm w/light. Great gun but a bit too long.

I am looking at the Knoxx Spec Opps stock for the adjustability of length. The added recoil reduction would be a great plus if it is all I hear it is.

The problem is I see that they have been bought out by BlackHawk. I assume that is why everyone is out of the Spec Opps Stock.

My question is first what do you guys that have them think of them? Second do you know anywhere that they are in stock?

Here are a few pictures:
http://www.freetrapper.com/atv/mossy590-01.jpg
http://www.freetrapper.com/atv/mossy590-02.jpg
http://www.freetrapper.com/atv/mossy590-03.jpg

Last edited by freetrapper; January 15, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old January 15, 2008, 04:46 PM   #2
john1911

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...135&t=11082005

There you go.

Specops is great. Had one one the 870 I used to own, really soaks up the recoil.
Old January 15, 2008, 06:47 PM   #3
odsixer

had one

I just had one on my 500 but I didn't like the slide release access as well as the safety access with the pistol grip. I returned it for the 870 model, now I just need an 870 to go with it.

Try it for feel before buying. The recoil reduction was great.
Old January 16, 2008, 03:47 PM   #4
freetrapper

Ordered from Midway today. Man I am getting more and more tied up in this thing.
Old January 16, 2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I have one on my 870 and think it is great. I like having it in the collapsed mode for working corners around the house and such - carbine length. The recoil reduction is nice. I don't use the recoil pad on mine at all. That is how much recoil reduction there is. Of course, it isn't 100%. 100-120 full power slugs will take their toll, but not like they used to do with a fixed stock. We did that and another 150 birdshot. The birdshot were really nothing. The best part was that I wasn't in pain the next day.
Old January 16, 2008, 05:00 PM   #6
chris in va

I had one on my 500.

The adjustability is nice, and it *really* absorbs recoil. You can shoot birdshot all day and not feel a thing. Actually the force is more 'spread out' timewise so instead of a sharp CRACK to your shoulder, more of a shove. It actually has two recoil reducers, one in the stock and the main one in the grip.

So if you only plan to use it as a HD accessory, it's fantastic. Lets anyone be able to shoot 12ga.

However. On the 500, the stock was too high for sight alignment and I had to buy negative spacers from Mossberg. It helped a little. But I feel Knoxx should have taken a closer look at the issue before making it public.

At least on the 500, the slide release is almost inaccessible. My clays game suffered dramatically too, and I sold it to my friend.

I'd consider getting a CompStock if you plan on shooting clays with it.
Old January 16, 2008, 06:42 PM   #7
freetrapper

This is solely for home defense and playing at the range. Even with that said the G19 resides right by my pillow so it would be my go to in a fast situation. If I have time to get up and go investigate the 590 will come into play.
Old January 17, 2008, 07:55 PM   #8
spyderdude

I have one on my Remington 870 Express Magnum, and it does exactly what it's advertised to do, reduce recoil, and it's adjustable to fit shooters of all sizes. I can shoot 3" Magnum shells all day, and not feel a thing.
Old January 20, 2008, 06:08 AM   #9
cabbynate

We are going to start running three gun matches here soon and I was wondering it this would be a good stock? I am also looking at the Knoxx compstock...
Old January 20, 2008, 08:18 AM   #10
plateshooter

I have the CompStock on my Mossberg 835. When I first got it, I took the most punishing rounds I could find in my ammo stash to the range to try it out. It REALLY works. As said in one of the posts above, you still get the recoil, but you don't get the muscle smashing, shoulder dislocating impact from it. It was WELL worth the money to me.
Old January 20, 2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Desert01

Mossberg = CompStock if you have to have a Knoxx.

Me, not a fan, but they have plenty of happy customers.
Old January 22, 2008, 10:05 AM   #12
macsr01

I have one on My 870, best thing I ever did to it.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:49 AM   #13
freetrapper

Got the Spec Ops Stock installed last night. Will give a report from the range this weekend.