The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2008, 03:33 PM   #1
nobody_special

H&K USP, or 1911?

I'm looking for something to replace my Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm (my first, and so far only, pistol), which will soon be sent back for factory repair. I want a manual safety, so no Glocks, Springfield XDs, or Sigs. I've narrowed my choices down to either a HK USP or a 1911. I also considered a BHP but didn't like the feel BHP clones I saw in the gun store last weekend.

I really like the flexibility of the USP... external hammer, manual safety and decocker, so it works in SA and DA mode. The only other pistol I know of that can do that is the Beretta 92, but I don't like the feel of the Beretta's fat grip. I don't like the USP's magazine release very much. The other potential negative is the HK customer service... I hear they don't care much about non-LEO/military customers?

And I'm not sure which caliber to go with, either. I have a good amount of 9mm already. I've only fired .40S&W in a Glock, and found the snappy muzzle flip to be extremely unpleasant -- it felt like the gun was going to jump out of my hand every time I fired it (this was before I had much experience shooting). I don't know if the recoil would be any better in a USP or not; supposedly the USP has a recoil reduction system, but I don't know how effective that is. As for .45, I've only fired that caliber in a Kimber 1911, and it was easy enough to shoot.

As for the 1911s, I'm leaning toward another Taurus; they seem pretty reasonably priced. If the gun develops a problem, presumably any gunsmith could fix it if I didn't want to wait for Taurus' lifetime warranty (as in, you wait a lifetime, we'll fix your gun ). I'm open to other options, but trying to keep it around $600.

Any thoughts? Am I missing any other good options?

Thanks...
Old January 14, 2008, 03:46 PM   #2
David the Gnome

I love the H&K USP .45 but I also love the 1911. Given the choice between the two I would probably take the H&K however.
Old January 14, 2008, 04:01 PM   #3
fatboyclone

my .02

i would choose HK also, but I would go with the HK45 in .45 or the P30 in 9mm instead of the USP.
HKs customer service has improved leaps and bounds over what it was a few years ago.
Old January 14, 2008, 04:08 PM   #4
hoytinak

+1 on the P30

Old January 14, 2008, 04:12 PM   #5
nobody_special

Thanks... good to hear that they've improved their customer service.

The P30 doesn't have a safety, right? (I don't see one in the photo...)
Old January 14, 2008, 04:14 PM   #6
hoytinak

no manual safety, it does have a decocker on the back
Old January 14, 2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Officer's Match

Quote:
I really like the flexibility of the USP... external hammer, manual safety and decocker, so it works in SA and DA mode. The only other pistol I know of that can do that is the Beretta 92
A much better example would be the PT92 by Taurus, which like the HK has a frame mounted safety/decocker, allowing for Condition 1 cocked & locked function, something the Beretta cannot do.
Old January 14, 2008, 05:00 PM   #8
nobody_special

Interesting, I thought the Taurus PT92 and Beretta FS92 were essentially the same in operation. My father has a PT92, and that's all I'm familiar with.

Anyway, I don't like the thick grips on the Beretta style pistols I've tried (including PT92, FS92, and Ninety-Two), so I'm not likely to end up with one of these.
Old January 14, 2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Officer's Match

Here's another option from Taurus:
http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol
Old January 14, 2008, 05:54 PM   #10
NetJnkie

Look at the HK45 instead of the USP .45 if you can. It's like Version 2. Much better ergonomics..adjustable backstrap....thinner....standard rail...etc. I love mine. Just a nicer fit than my USP .45.
Old January 14, 2008, 06:04 PM   #11
YukonKid

If its a USP against the taurus i would go HK every day. IF it was HK vs. Wilson combat or Ed Brown though it would be tougher. Go HK, they are up at the top of almost everyone i knows quality/reliability/accuracy list.
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 14, 2008, 06:15 PM   #12
7712drb

I have an H&K USP Compact ,a Colt 1911 and a Colt Officer's Model all in .45 ACP. I'll take the H&K every time.
Old January 14, 2008, 06:40 PM   #13
Dobe

HK does make a great gun, but I would go with the 1911, because it is sooooo much easier to shoot than any other platform I own. That could make a difference during high stress times.
Old January 14, 2008, 07:13 PM   #14
zoomie

Can I complicate your choice a little?

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...&productid=139

It's got the manual safety you want, all metal, .45.... definitely worth a look.
Old January 14, 2008, 07:51 PM   #15
nobody_special

Ooh, zoomie... that's purty. I'll read up on that.

I'll pass on the P30 and P45 for lack of a safety switch, though the improved ergonomics do sound nice.

I see that a lot of people prefer the HK; can I ask why? Reliability? Ergonomics? Something else?

Thanks...
Old January 14, 2008, 07:53 PM   #16
hoytinak

Quote:
I see that a lot of people prefer the HK; can I ask why? Reliability? Ergonomics? Something else?
All of the above...
Old January 14, 2008, 08:20 PM   #17
YukonKid

HK and Sig are generaly considered the best DA/SA available under 1000 dollars, thats what i think anyhow. They are reliable, accurate and durable to boot...what else could you want?
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 14, 2008, 09:26 PM   #18
JAXX

I love my USP compact for a multitide of reasons, especially over a metal framed gun. The main reason I prefer it over an all metal weapon is weight. Secondly, the advantages over a 1911 style pistol stack up pretty quickly as well IMO. The USP is much easier to field strip for cleanings and regular maintenance and the USPs almost all hold much more ammunition in the magazine and are still lighter. While this may not make much of a difference to a person who just shoots at the range, or competes, or is looking for a HD gun, to those who carry a gun daily, I believe these are very important factors. So, IMO, with the USP line of pistols, you get the advantage of the 1911 by being able to carry it C&L with less weight, higher capacity and in most cases for less money. All of the 1911 style pistols I have seen that are on the same quality level as HK or SIG have all been at least 800 bucks. That's why I prefer my USP.
Old January 14, 2008, 09:41 PM   #19
TBT

I don't have any experiences with the HK but as far as the SIG versus the 1911 I found the P226 to have way to much muzzle rise for me. Especially when compared to the controllability of the 1911 that I was used to. That's really the only negative that I found in regards to the SIG line, otherwise they are fine weapons.

The HK's share the same high bore axis as well.
Old January 14, 2008, 10:22 PM   #20
Gunz

I went back to a 1911 for the slimness, and the balance.

I own both USP full size, and compact 45. While the polymer guns have a nicer weight for carry, the USP is a THICK gun in the slide. I do like the rectangular trigger guard of the USP over the weirdo HK45. The New rounded and formed grip of the HK45 is much superior to the older USP grip. The USP grip is like a 2x4.

I honestly tried to steer myself away from a 1911 for reliability concerns. However, as I play with the round-tipped ammo, and the fear of needing the gun to work, I figure keeping it cleaned and lubed is the key thing.

I love my Dan Wesson CBOB. Ever since i came across this pistol, it reminded me why the 1911 is the choice frame. I still carry an SP101 as a backup.
Old January 14, 2008, 10:25 PM   #21
tbtrout

I have had a USP since they came out. While it is a fine gun, I would choose my 1911 over it every time. If you want to stick with 9mm, check out the CZ 75. All the features you are looking for in a reliable package.
Old January 16, 2008, 07:04 AM   #22
Logs

I think you have to look at what fits you hand the best. I have the USP in 9mm and then the USPc in .45. Great guns I wouldn't trade them, but I also enjoy shooting my Springfield 1911. If you can find a deal on a Used USP I would lean that way if the price was right. As for 1911 you may consider a Kimber, Para or Springfield. Basic Springfield should cost you under $500.

I found my USP 9 for $450 and my USPc for $475 used so shop around.

Might also check www.cdnninvestments.com
Old January 16, 2008, 07:09 AM   #23
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Both are fine guns, which one do you like?

(And saying "1911" is like saying "car". There are a hojillion different brands and models made along more or less the same pattern, ranging from the wretched to the sublime, with price tags to match.)
Old January 16, 2008, 11:09 AM   #24
HappyGunner

Best

I shoot my Kimber 1911s at the range I carry my H&K USP compacts. I am not implying the 1911s are not up to being a good choice for carry. It's just my own feeling that the H&Ks work better for my needs.
Old January 16, 2008, 11:36 AM   #25
Perldog007

Buy a Ruger P345 and a Dillon Square deal. with reloading and regular practice your Ruger will do fine.

Between the two, I would go for a High Grade (Wilson or Ed Brown) 1911. Then the HK USP in .45, then Kimber, S.A. etc. For a carry gun the USP.