The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1
gregjc9

45acp sharp edge on case of finished load

I was loading up some 45ACPs last night, using Berrys 200gr plated SWC, mixed headstamp brass, on my Horndady LNL with Hornady dies.

I noticed on my finished rounds that there is somewhat of a sharp edge on the case mouth of the finished round. Nothing significant, just enough to make me notice.

I have my expander die adjusted so I can just barely get the bullet seated, without too much flare so the brass doesnt get worked too much. And the seating die is turned down just shy of the crimping ring.

The sharp edge is not on the brass until after a new round is made. IOW, it's not a result of tumbling, and I dont notice it until after it passes the expander die. If I backed the expander die out more, brass starts buckling because of not enough bell/flare.

The rounds run just fine in my Kimbers, just curious about the sharp edge.

Greg
Old May 3, 2011, 04:10 PM   #2
FlyFish

Do you mean sharp as in "cut yourself" sharp, or just a very noticeable edge at the case mouth? The .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, so you should have a noticeable "step" (sharp edge?) at the junction of the case mouth and the bullet, i.e., it shouldn't be turned in as with a roll crimp. I'm guessing that your seat/crimp die, which should be a taper crimp, isn't returning the case mouth back quite as far as it could, but if your reloads feed OK and you're not getting any bullet set-back I'd be inclined not to worry about it much. If that's what it is you can probably experiment with turning the body of your seating/crimping die down a fraction of a turn and see if that eliminates it.
Old May 3, 2011, 04:15 PM   #3
TATER

Ease the crimp down a smidgen more. Sounds like you are not quite removing all of the belling.
Old May 3, 2011, 05:27 PM   #4
gregjc9

Flyfish:
Definately not sharp enought to cut, just enought to notice. Yeah, I know it headspaces on the case mouth, but I was thinking it might be enough to catch causing a FTF, but the loads run just fine. So I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Tater:
I had tried just that, thinking that was the logical answer, but I couldnt get it adjusted to where I was happy with the result. With the crimp/seating die adjusted down a little more, it looked like the crimp ring or something might not be square, as I could see a very slight beginning of a roll crimp but only about halfway around the case mouth. So I backed it off a smidge and that's where I'm at now.

I may play with it some more tonight. Thanks.

Greg
Old May 3, 2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Gerry

I think you're just fine. Don't fix anything that isn't broken. Crimping it more than taking away the bell will just work your brass more, shortening its life a bit.
Old May 4, 2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Don P

If all else fails you could use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. The issue you stated was causing me issues with 9 mm and the factory crimp die solved the problem.
As others have stated shoot them to see if you do have issues with the case mouth.