The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
max12

barrel

hi there,

Can I shoot slugs through a regular shotgun barrel. Ive herd that if I do that I can pit the barrel but the slugs I shoot say they can be shot through any barrel and choke. Is this true?

And my other question. how can I tell if my barrel is pitted?

Thanks,
Old January 12, 2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Hawg

They won't pit the barrel but forcing a slug through a full or extra full choke runs the risk of a bulged barrel. An almost certainty with an extra full.
Old January 12, 2008, 04:47 PM   #3
classic095

choke

Some boxes of slugs say not to be used in chokes smaller than modified..One box of slugs I have recommend a improved cylinder or cylinder bore..
Old January 12, 2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Standard Foster-type slugs can be safely shot through any choke.
If your barrel was pitted, you would see tiny pits in the bore. The only thing that causes bore pitting is rust.
Old January 12, 2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Standard Foster-type slugs can be safely shot through any choke.
I bulged a full choke barrel with them once. Course I didn't notice it till after I'd fired a hundred rounds through it so I don't know how long it had been bulged.
Old January 16, 2008, 08:38 PM   #6
max12

thanks for the help.

Im also looking into a 3in slug gun. Any suggestions on any guns to look for that do not caost a whol lot?
Old January 16, 2008, 09:06 PM   #7
crowbeaner

The only thing a 3 inch slug does is kick you more. If you shoot foster slugs through any MODERN gun you can shoot them in any choke. The 2 3/4 inch Federal F127RS load does about 1600 fps. and knocks deer sideways when it hits them. If they run at all they don't go far. Most factory 2 3/4 loads are around 1550 fps. You can get 2 3/4 magnum slug loads that throw a 1 1/4 oz. slug around 1450. The 3 inch isn't much faster at all; just more kick. If you shoot the $3-5 a shot sabot slugs you need a rifled CYLINDER bore. THEY can and might bulge your barrel; the RP Copper Solids shredded a couple when they were first introduced; IIRC Hastings barrels were especially susceptible to failure. French made ones were the first to blow. CB.
Old January 16, 2008, 11:31 PM   #8
Niagara Shooter

Some 3' slug guns that aren't too expensive:
Remington 870 express
Winchester 1300
Browning Bps

All the ones listed above are pump guns, the 3' semi's you might be able to find at a reasonable price would be used, they could include/but not limited to Remington 1100 Magnum or Remington 1187, Browning Auto 5 Magnum to list a couple, not sure where you're located but its always best to check pawn shops and/or classifieds in local paper to help find good buys! I really wish the pawn shops in Canada could sell guns, then I'd be all set!
NS
Old January 19, 2008, 01:11 PM   #9
max12

thanks, the pawn shops around here sell guns but I cant find any slug guns so I have to find some in the classifieds or at dicks