The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 10, 2008, 09:51 AM   #1
rhgunguy

Speed feed stocks

How in the heck do they work? I found myself with a surplus of cash that just has to be spent before it lights my jeans on fire so I am getting the tactical shotgun of my dreams. I was just about set on a Knox and then I considered speed feed stocks. Since I have never looked at them before I know NOTHING about them. The gun will be used every now and again for IPSC competition and every day HD.

Thanks in advance!
Old January 10, 2008, 10:17 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Also, I, have never handled a speed feed equipped gun. I doubt I could dump them fast enough to satisfy myself. I think the receiver mounted shell tote would work better as they pop off and are already closer to the mag tube.
With that said I feel I am a much better shot than these swat/tact guys! I load 6 rounds and if that ain't enuff I will use my gun as a bludgeon. Good luck with the purchase you decide to make...
Brent
Old January 10, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Thoreau

Knoxx is owned by Blackhawk now. If they have begun manufacturing them again, you should pick up the specops stock. The speedfeed stock is just a stock with room for 4 shells in them. It's a plastic stock. It isn't very convenient in practicality.

You would do better to get a 6-8 shell holder to mount opposite the ejection port. The speedfeed with limbsaver leaves me with bruises. The specops stock does not. The specops also has the optional shell holder, called deluxe of something or other. Due to the shock movement of the specops stock, I opted not the put an angled piece of metal with shells near my face. It works fine I'm sure, but I prefer simplicity where possible.

I'm not sure what guage you were looking at but I have a mossberg 590 with heatshield with speedfeed and specops stocks. I have also attached a limbsaver buttpad to each. And that's about it.
Old January 15, 2008, 09:59 AM   #4
nodlenor

speed feed stocks

I have a Mossberg 500 with a speed feed stock. The thing I like about it is I can carry 4 extra rounds with me and not worry which pocket I put them in. I use it only for turkey hunting so the gun always has all the ammo I should need. It is a well made stock and isn't flimsy like some of the "plastic" rifle stocks I've had.
Old January 15, 2008, 04:13 PM   #5
rem870hunter

i have a rem. 870 express mag. 12 ga. with a speedfeed stock and forend. speedfeed model 1 i think it is. paperwork with it says it will fit 12 ga. rem 870,winchester 1200 and 1300 and FN 1300 model shotguns. i don't have a ammo holder built into the butt. or sidesaddle. just a slip on nylon shell holder for 5 shells it works good , the shotgun came with the monte carlo wooden butt and wood forend. i didn't like the idea of drilling into the wood for a sling swivel. so i just went with a new synthetic stock set. it had a tightness issue with the forend though on the smoothbore slug barrel. the fully rifled slug barrel and the vent rib worked fine. i just filed a little bit of plastic off the forend. it doesn't bind anymore now.
Old January 15, 2008, 11:56 PM   #6
Sgt.Fathead

I had a Mossberg Maverick 88 with the SpeedFeed Model 1 on it and now own an 8-shot Rem 870 Express Synthetic with the Model 3. I'm sold on the idea.

With the old 88, I could cover a slow walking course with it's six shot load, the extra four and four in a wrist band. It's very easy to learn to transfer the shells held in the stock directly into the magazine tube or chamber without removing your eyes from the target area. They stay in place very well whether running or just banging about.

With the new 870, essentially our HD gun and for taking down to the sand pits to make large pieces of garbage into smaller pieces, I've added a six shot side saddle as well. Now I've got 8+4+6 = 18 rounds on the gun plus whatever I can or want to carry. The Model 3, which is the pistol grip model, adds a great level of control and also helps tame recoil a bit, too.

They're easy to install with basic tools, fairly cheap and work well. I like the idea of the Knoxx stocks but always hear my SSgt. in the back of my head, "Recoil is your friend!".
Old January 20, 2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Thoreau

As an addendum, I don't shoot like a hunter, like the rest of these folks. I cycle through about 75 rounds an hour target shooting. So comfort is paramount to having a stock with shells in my case. If I were hunting, I would do the same thing actually. I mean, you've got 9 shells in the gun, and 6 on the side. If I shoot 15 times and can't hit a bird, God help me.
Old January 25, 2008, 02:36 PM   #8
coppinger

I have one for a Winchester 1300 if you are interested. I think I am going to just put a pistol grip on mine so it will store in my camper easier.
Old January 26, 2008, 07:51 PM   #9
m24shooter

I've had one on my 590A1 for several years. I've also used them on my 870s and others. They work by just having two spots to hold two rounds each. They function just like a mini-magtube. There is a plastic follower pushed by a spring, and a lip on the port holds the rounds in the tube. When you need a round, you pull back slightly on the crimp of the shell and lever the round out.
I use mine to restock the sidesaddles. I do not use them to feed the chamber except in the absolute worst case. The sidesaddle is what I use first when reloading.

Old January 26, 2008, 10:01 PM   #10
UniversalFrost

speed feed stocks are ok, I have one for a mossy 500, but they really are not that practical, just get a bandolier style sling or one of the receiver mounted 5 shot holders.

I would get the knoxx stock if I were you. They work wonders. I won one a few years back at a raffle and it really sold me on the whole concept. I bought one for my 835 mossy (same as the 500 stock) and I can shoot 3.5" slugs or 00 buck all day long with out a problem and can even rapid fire easily.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 29, 2008, 06:58 PM   #11
hpg

I have 2 of the Speedfeed Tactical stocks and like them very well. They are not at all like the Knox recoil reducing SpecOps stock...........hpg